I have been playing for 6 or 7 years now, My techniques are those based around old blues, Electric Blues, and Just Regular Blues, I don't have any input to metal but in any case a metal solo can be a blues solo no matter how hard you try. I influence myself with Hendrix, Vaughn, Page, alot of just Guitarist that are from the 60's and such.

Right now, I feel like the hardest to play out of those lick wise would be Vaughn, But with my point of view, Licks are just licks, and Improvisation is really what sets you up individually on that part, Page seems like the most skilled Riff maker and Ultimate Player, and Hendrix, who i am heavily influenced by both in writing and soloing, doesn't seem to be presenting a challenge for me anymore.

The thing is I know I can present myself with a challenge perhaps by moving on to another artist, but i want to evolve off of my heroes, and go for a more subtle approach to finding my ultimate sound, I don't expect myself to learn Arpeggios and Metal and things like that because I don't expect myself to ever play like that.

any Advice would be much appreciated.
I would look into Joe Satriani. He does have some challenging stuff but he also has softer as well but I think he has something everyone can learn from.
I do agree that Joe, while a fantastic player, has alot of Hair Metal type playing under his belt, and things that turn me off is the high gain low Drive that those guitar tones have.
If you're feeling yourself stuck in a rut with your playing, think about having a few lessons to push you to the next step.

Find a good teacher, and before your lesson make sure he knows exactly where you are with your playing and he/she will be able to create a couple of focused lessons which will help you progress.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Take a break.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
play jazz....
Guitars:
Gibson SG Standard with Bigsby
Gibson Custom ES-137
Gibson Custom 54' Les Paul VOS Goldtop
Gretsch G6129T Silver Jet
1968 Harmony Rocket H75

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (modded)
1970 Fender Twin Reverb (blackfaced)

yeah. joe satriani takes a lot of hendrix, and other es-que blues phrases and licks and often improvises with them. one thing though is that he uses a lot of fast, 3-4 finger per string legato along with that traditional blues style. along with very horizontal fretboard movement. its "shred" but it still retains that bluesy sound. i'd say that's probably a good direction to go to expand on blues.
Find some crossover guitarists that bridge the gap between what comes natural for you and what you want to achieve.

As mentioned, Slash is a great example. Blues master, yet rocks heavy.

Personally, I too am a blues based rock guy. I tried to fight it for a while, but now I embrace it. I am also an 80's hair metal fan, and I gravitate toward blues based guitarists.

Try Kirk Hammett from the Black album, CC DeVille from Poison, Skid Row (first album was very blues rock based), and Cinderella. In fact, Cinderella started out more hair metal on their first album, and evolved (?) into blues/rock. Mick Mars has always been a dirty blues player.

Once you learn some licks and techniques from an established artist/song, then you can transpose them into a given key, and connect them together like individual modules to create your own compositions.
On terms of Slash, I enjoy his playing but he seems like he's very one dimensional with the way he plays, also an 80's guy, which leaves me unwilling to put myself towards his play style, but I guess I could try the snake pit stuff, I'll take a look.

On terms with lessons, I used to have a great teacher, I could look towards him, but I'm not sure he's past any given point that I haven't already touched upon, and I learn things naturally by ear so...

Richie Kotzen while seems like a very good player, is Shred and Blues like mixed together, sort of like Joe Satriani, I'm checking out one of his videos' as I type, and this guy is fast as ****. I'll give this a shot but not really what I'm looking for, like the skill level as well.

"Take a Break" Why would I ever want to stop playing guitar?!

"play jazz" Actually thinking about this one, though I'm not really big into the skill of all of it, so it might take some time might not, Thanks for the idea!

I think that Joe Satriani's Shred/Blues sound just sounds like any other type of shred...
The Only thing I don't like about shred is the uslessness of the emotions, its like trying to impress a woman with your dick instead of you personality, in my opinion.

Gary Moore is really good, saw him take on B.B. King in a video, very well done, but his songs sound very weird with that 80's synthesizer type deal and overuse of the Chorus, much of what the 80's we're all about Power Ballad wise.
andy timmons, george lynch?
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
dont play songs from joe satriani like surfing with the alien and more of his hit songs. look up:
if i could fly
just look up
rubina
echo
cryin'
diddle-y-a-doo-dat
hearbeats
they are all songs with the less crazy legato style he has and more blues es-que phrasing and licks.
but if you listen to some of his sadder songs, when he uses faster techniques, its not for showing off, he does it more as expression. where as he does haev some songs that try to prove he can show off and stuff, quite a few songs are mainly just taking little bits of things that people do, changing it a bit and adding some original ideas and then using those ideas to make a mood or emotion out of the song. not your typical shred monster like most guys.
Why not have a stab at some theory. It's another avenue to finding a certain sound. You'll have a better understanding of why things sound the way they do and you'll be able to put together stuff using a different creative path. But it's not for everyone. I understand that. But if you're stuck, why not.

Don't limit yourself though. The more you know as a guitarist, the better. Arpeggios really aren't anything more than a broken down chord. And metal, while it can be technical, has a lot more to offer than just insanely fast stuff. A lot of those same techniques can be adapted to other styles. Don't get it in your head you can't do it. With a solid practice routine, you'd be amazed at what happens.
easy write songs, it's as simple as that. you want to develop yourself then start being your self. influences are great and part of the process but to find your own voice you need to look within not look for others inspiration.

don't feel that you have to write the next blues standard or anything even all that good to begin with. just put something together and keep at it before you know it you will get more satisfaction from your playing. the other thing is that you may need to look outside your normal listening material for ideas.