I'm looking for a marshall tube head for blues - rock

won't need to have gain higher than led zep / GNR / Hendrix...

as i already have a 100W Bugera 333XL , which has plenty of gainz

preferably something that i can find used <£500,

and maybe something that's 50/60 W ?

as I mainly play in a bedroom :]

i also have a 5W blackstar, just for when i do have to be quiet :]
Gear:
Jackson rr5+rr3
epiphone les paul std
fender classic 50's
Epiphone sheraton ii
blackstar ht-5s
vox ac15c1
bugera 333xl
framus 2x12
mxr carbon copy
mxr bls chorus
ehx holy grail
Jcm2000 Dsl401 or JCM800 2204

Edit: the DSL401 is a combo though
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 26, 2011,
Quote by Cathbard
Jcm2000 Dsl401 or JCM800 2204

Edit: the DSL401 is a combo though

what about the dsl head?

i already have a lovely cab, and wouldn't want to make it redundant.
Gear:
Jackson rr5+rr3
epiphone les paul std
fender classic 50's
Epiphone sheraton ii
blackstar ht-5s
vox ac15c1
bugera 333xl
framus 2x12
mxr carbon copy
mxr bls chorus
ehx holy grail
Yeah but there's no 401 head. The DSL50 head would be a fine choice. The 401 is a great little blues amp because it runs EL84's instead of EL34's so it's easier to get power amp distortion out of them, crunchier too. There's no reason you couldn't hook up the DSL401 to your current cab either.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by GesadiaH

and maybe something that's 50/60 W ?

as I mainly play in a bedroom :]

i also have a 5W blackstar, just for when i do have to be quiet :]

Anyone else notice this?

I think 50W will be a bit overkill for bedroom playing, especially for the bands you like, those sort of tones will break the walls down! Maybe look at lower wattage marshall clones? Such as the 18W ones? I bet you can find one of those nice and cheap.
I don't think 50W is overkill at home - and I build 18W Marshalls. 50W ensures better feedback. An 18W'er is a good choice though, they just aren't as good for feedback. The amp I am building for home use for blues is a JTM45. I don't consider that overkill at all, but I aint a pussy.
You can get distortion at lower volumes on a DSL50 than an 18W'er. I run my 18W'er at 10 all the time, it may as well not have a volume control.

Actually, because the TS is in the UK a Valvepower 18W'er may be just the ticket.
http://www.valvepower.co.uk/18w_amp.htm
They have power scaling so you can run them quieter and still get breakup so it is probably just what he wants.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Look at Laneys. If you want something particularly good for blues, look at the Lionheart 20 watt head. If you want something a bit more orientated for classic rock and hard rock, but with some good blues sounds, look at the GH50L. Both are great amps but try and go used. As Laney heads go used in the UK for dirty cheap. I'm still annoyed at missing out on the GH50L on ebay local to me which went for £200 with a matching 4x12.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
Quote by Cathbard

Actually, because the TS is in the UK a Valvepower 18W'er may be just the ticket.
http://www.valvepower.co.uk/18w_amp.htm
They have power scaling so you can run them quieter and still get breakup so it is probably just what he wants.

+1

certainly for hendrix and led zep.

g n r would need a boost, really.

or laney gh50l if you're willing to rely on preamp gain and want a bit (lot!) more gain available for stuff like g n r. And it still does the vintage marshall stuff pretty well. Though I would say that it's not the best tube amp i've ever tried for lower volumes.

traynor ycv50b from thomann would be worth a look too, if a combo is ok.

Quote by robbo546hall
Look at Laneys. If you want something particularly good for blues, look at the Lionheart 20 watt head. If you want something a bit more orientated for classic rock and hard rock, but with some good blues sounds, look at the GH50L. Both are great amps but try and go used. As Laney heads go used in the UK for dirty cheap. I'm still annoyed at missing out on the GH50L on ebay local to me which went for £200 with a matching 4x12.

ah good call on the lionheart, forgot about those.

even the vc series would work at a pinch (though with £500 i'd say you can do better).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?