I'm composing some songs, and almost all my riffs sounds like thrash or death metal, maybe because those are my two favorite metal sub genres, when I'm composing a riff and I want it to be a thrash riff my approach is almost every time just palm mute and power chords, but i want to use different types of chords, but I don't know what will sound good.

so what other chords could be suitable and would sound good in a thrash metal riff?.
Quote by Våd Hamster
Fuck yes you are the best poster ever

do you wanna hear a little piano composition I have just made?, I promise it don't totally sucks, you can hear it on my profile, any feedback would be really appreciated -C4C
Thrash metal?

Any anti-melodic horrible sounding chord will do.

Edit:

Put some fingers into a random shape and play it, you got your first chords, just move the shape up and down the fretboard and you got a lot of chords..
Last edited by Zeletros at Aug 26, 2011,
Everything. Seriously, play a riff in _major, then flatten or sharpen one or two notes, with sevenths, diminished and suspended/augmented chords for rhythm. Just go for hard dissonance and strong, drawn out resolution.
What do you guys listen to when playing video games?
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Sorry, didn't realize I was that loud.

I'll be leaving your closet now.
Quote by Zeletros
Thrash metal?

Put some fingers into a random shape and play it, you got your first chords, just move the shape up and down the fretboard and you got a lot of chords..

I have tried this before and I haven't found something that sounds good.
Quote by Våd Hamster

do you wanna hear a little piano composition I have just made?, I promise it don't totally sucks, you can hear it on my profile, any feedback would be really appreciated -C4C
Quote by andras67
I have tried this before and I haven't found something that sounds good.

Define sounds good,

because in terms of Death and Thrash metal, anything sounds good, for me at least.
Quote by olix95
if you are playing thrash, there is no non-power chords

well I have seen songs using these two types of chords

E---------------------
B---------------------
G---------------------
D---------------------
A--5--1-------4--2--
E--7--3-------5--3--

I remember the first type is in the main riff from battery, and the second one is very used in Holy wars.

anyone could tell me what are these chords? how are they named?
Quote by Våd Hamster

Last edited by andras67 at Aug 26, 2011,
Quote by Zeletros
Define sounds good,

because in terms of Death and Thrash metal, anything sounds good, for me at least.

well when I have tried that, just making random chords the riffs just doesn't sound as agressive as I want my thrash metal riffs to sound.

that's what I mean when I said it didn't sound good to me.
Quote by Våd Hamster

/facepalm...

E---------------------
B---------------------
G---------------------
D---------------------
A--5--1-------4--2--
E--7--3-------5--3--

The first is a root with a minor 3rd, and the second is a root with major 3rd. They're not technically chords.

E---------------------
B---------------------
G--11---------9----
D--9-----------7----
A--5-----------4----
E--7-----------5----

Add another octave and a fifth and you get a minor triad and major triad respectively.

Now, go here- www.musictheory.net and learn.

Feel free to keep asking questions.
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Last edited by iancmtaylor at Aug 26, 2011,
Quote by andras67

E---------------------
B---------------------
G---------------------
D---------------------
A--5--1-------4--2--
E--7--3-------5--3--

I remember the first type is in the main riff from battery, and the second one is very used in Holy wars.

These are just diads, the first two chords are minor diads, a B minor diad followed by a G minor diad, and the second two are major diads, a A major diad followed by a G major diad.
You can vary the sound of powerchords:

E---------------------
B---------------------
G---------------------
D----------7-----7------
A----7-----7-----5-------
E----5-----5-----5-------

-----^a straight A5 powerchord.

------------^ root note doubled, beefing up the sound a bit.

------------------^ fifth replaced by fourth, altering the sound. I like these chords. With distortion but not palm muting, they sound heavy. You could also regard it as an inversion of a D5 powerchord, depending on context.

Obviously, they're very easy to play and change.
Quote by iancmtaylor
/facepalm...

E---------------------
B---------------------
G---------------------
D---------------------
A--5--1-------4--2--
E--7--3-------5--3--

The first is a root with a minor 3rd, and the second is a root with major 3rd. They're not technically chords.

E---------------------
B---------------------
G--7--3-------5--3--
D--7--3-------5--3--
A--5--1-------4--2--
E--7--3-------5--3--

Add another octave and a fifth and you get a minor triad and major triad respectively.

Now, go here- www.musictheory.net and learn.

Feel free to keep asking questions.

Yeah this guy's right, except to get an actual chord, you only need to add the 5th, another octave is to make it sounds fuller, and in death or thrash metal you really only need to use diads otherwise it can become quite awkward to switch faster.

Plus these chords you've given are minor 7ths, and the second chord just sounds bad. Don't worry about playing actual chords, diads will do for thrash and death.
^^^^ Those are what I use when I'm just randomly strumming, and they sound good, easy to make melodies out of too.

The simplest way to come up with chord shapes is to write out all the notes on all six strings and pick random notes that you think will sound good together.

Thanks for the correction tim
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Last edited by iancmtaylor at Aug 26, 2011,
Quote by iancmtaylor

The simplest way to come up with chord shapes is to write out all the notes on all six strings and pick random notes that you think will sound good together.

beethoven, watch the **** out...
Quote by Tim-Blink182
These are just diads, the first two chords are minor diads, a B minor diad followed by a G minor diad, and the second two are major diads, a A major diad followed by a G major diad.

I usually let posts like this pass by, but it's spelled 'dyad'.

As a response to the OP, major and minor dyads along with diminished fifth dyads work well. Sus2 chords are easy to finger and work pretty well with distortion (and are easy to transform to minor chords):

E:---------------------
B:---------------------
G:---11---12-----------
D:---9----9------------
A:---7----7------------
E:---------------------
     sus2 m
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3

G-5-----------2
D-7-7-7-2-2-3
A-6-8-5-3-4-4
E-5-5-5-5-5-5

There, a whole set of low voiced chords/intervals, ideal for chugging.

Everything is A-something.

1.A diminished
2 and 3.A with m6 and P4 intervals
4. A minor
5. A major
6. A augmented (ugh... discusting chord, not advisible to use)

You guessed it, shapes are movable.

And that Beethoven remark...

Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Last edited by hr113 at Aug 26, 2011,
Quote by andras67

E---------------------
B---------------------
G---------------------
D---------------------
A--5--1-------4--2--
E--7--3-------5--3--

i thought of these, and i use them often, and i see them in thrash quite often (Orion, Battery, like you said) but i decided to not say anything about them, why, i do not know
Just harmonize your notes with other notes. 3rds, 5ths, 6ths, and octaves are fairly common. Or maybe just try some single note riffs.
Ibanez RGD2127Z w/ BKP Aftermaths
Seagull Entourage Rustic
Peavey 6505 212
Dunlop ZW-45 Crybaby