Hey guys, this is my first post in this particular forum, so hi.

Anyways, I have an issue with songwriting, and it's that everything I write gravitates towards an indie/soft rock/ballad sort of style, which I'm mostly ok with, but I'm a huge metalhead, though I listen to an incredibly wide range of music. And it's
a) strange to me that I don't write in the style that I primarily listen to (thrash metal/death metal)
b) frustrating that I can't seem to write in my preferred style.

I have written quite little up to this point, a small library of riffs and melodies and lyrics, and maybe 2 or 3 full-ish songs, so please take that into consideration too.

With that in mind, does anyone have any advice for me or insight as to why that may be?
Listen to the music you want to sound like, look at the tabs and dissect it. That's really all that can be said without actually telling you what to play.
What do you guys listen to when playing video games?
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Sorry, didn't realize I was that loud.

I'll be leaving your closet now.
I'll take a guess that its because of one of two reasons. 1. you grew up listening to something else, more similar to what you have written, or 2. you were taught/learned guitar by learning chord structures etc. that resemble the chords you find in soft rock type music. Regardless that shouldn't be hard to overcome...

I don't play thrash/death metal so I can't give detailed pointers on that, but whatever it is you like, first ask yourself what you like about it, and how did said band accomplish that. Perhaps its odd rhythms , or more likely, a certain sound effect that like...Whatever it is, try to emulate it

edit: guy before me said it shorter and sweeter
Last edited by whisperffs at Aug 26, 2011,
Still, it's good points that you both make.
Thank you, this does all make sense to me, and with it in mind I should be able to start working better through my difficulty.

All the best to you!
I started listening to metal a couple of years ago, but I spent my whole life growing up on CCR/ the Eagles/ Pink Floyd, so when I sit down and play something new, it almost always sounds like that. You just have to accept that you're naturally good at coming up with music like that. But don't get put off by it, all you have to do is spend some time learning to play what you want to play.
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

It's so exciting
the fact that there are so many styles and attitudes within music to experience and learn...
I hope to be able to sit down one day and write a John Denver sort of ballad, and the next day to write a brutal Ride the Lightning sort of riff-monster

My point is that that's worth working damn hard towards, so I don't mind sitting down and putting in the effort.
Haha, well that's the spirit!!
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Are you writing solo guitar?

When you write with just you and your guitar, one of the big things that happens is that the rhymthic element of the song is de-emphasized. Melodic, ballad-y stuff doesn't require a lot going on in the rhythm, but metal does. So when you're writing without rhythm, it's hard to "think in metal" because rhythm is so important to metal but that's not available to you.

If I were you, I would start with a rhythm track. Use Garageband and put together some drum loops that interest you, or law down a scratch track by raking your strings without harmonic content to create a rhythm pattern that you like.

And then compose over that.
Learn metal songs. Analyze them. Dissect them. Rinse, Repeat.

Pay attention to all the elements of the song too, not just what ever instrument your playing.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by vampirelazarus
Learn metal songs. Analyze them. Dissect them. Rinse, Repeat.

Pay attention to all the elements of the song too, not just what ever instrument your playing.

This.
Quote by Plundermaster
Hey guys, this is my first post in this particular forum, so hi.

Anyways, I have an issue with songwriting, and it's that everything I write gravitates towards an indie/soft rock/ballad sort of style, which I'm mostly ok with, but I'm a huge metalhead, though I listen to an incredibly wide range of music. And it's
a) strange to me that I don't write in the style that I primarily listen to (thrash metal/death metal)
b) frustrating that I can't seem to write in my preferred style.

I have written quite little up to this point, a small library of riffs and melodies and lyrics, and maybe 2 or 3 full-ish songs, so please take that into consideration too.

With that in mind, does anyone have any advice for me or insight as to why that may be?

Don't worry about labels. be what you are. If you want other styles to show in your playing you have to get them in there in the 1st place. A good way to do what is to learn to play the music. Study it, memorize it, play it, enjoy it.

Then go back to writing.

In general I always recommend being yourself stylistically and don't try to force yourself to sound like the cool genre of the day.
shred is gaudy music