Page 1 of 3
Tougher action - including taxing junk food - is needed by all governments if the obesity crisis is going to be tackled, experts say.

The international group of researchers, who have published a series of articles in The Lancet, said no country had yet got to grips with the problem.

They said changes in society meant it was getting harder for people to live healthy lives.

And they warned without state action, health systems could become swamped.

Obesity-related problems, such as diabetes, were now accounting for between 2% and 6% of health care costs in most countries.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14669203

TL;DR: what's to be done about fat people?

I think taxing "unhealthy" food isn't how you deal with it. You don't get out of habits because it's slightly more expensive, that just means you cut back on other things to afford your poison. Changing habits is more important and I'd rather you start that young. Jamie Oliver had the right idea about changing children's school lunches into healthier choices, rather than the fast food crap they've been served before, but unfortunately it didn't catch on.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-14669203

I think taxing "unhealthy" food isn't how you deal with it. You don't get out of habits because it's slightly more expensive, that just means you cut back on other things to afford your poison. Changing habits is more important and I'd rather you start that young. Jamie Oliver had the right idea about changing children's school lunches into healthier choices, rather than the fast food crap they've been served before, but unfortunately it didn't catch on.

I think they should make them all read that "Maggie Goes On A Diet" book.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
I dunno, I think it's quite obvious taking it isn't going to work. People still buy cigarettes and such things. I am also eating a packet of Hula Hoops as I write this.
Quote by JackalUK
I dunno, I think it's quite obvious taking it isn't going to work. People still buy cigarettes and such things. I am also eating a multipack of Hula Hoops as I write this.

>.>

<.<
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
I agree with you on the school lunch front. In general though, healthier food needs to be made more accessible and readily available. Revamping health education would also help.
fat chance of that happening
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
I wouldn't want to have to pay extra the odd time I crave an unhealthy snack. I don't think the rest of the majority non-obese population would either.
Lol at government's "getting tough". That's usually double speak for pretending to do more than they actually are.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Humans are fat because food in general has become so readily available. Refined sugars have a lot to do with it too. We used to need to eat a potato to get x amount of energy, now we can get the same from a small biscuit or a drink

I used to be fat and I never even ate unhealthy, I just ate lots of the good stuff.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
*munches on Snickers bar*

Nope
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
I think they should use "fat" instead of "obese" and "Seriously obese" when dealing with them. (There was a thread on this, somewhere on UG).

It can be the "fat scale".
Chubby, Fat, Fat arse, Snorlax.

I am a horrible person
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Last edited by Silent Murder at Aug 26, 2011,
I'm not fat and I don't eat junk food, but that would certainly work on me if I was, I hate spending money.
For one thing, the whole being fat defended by the fact that "It's his personal choice!" and all that tolerance-kajigerthingy needs to go. Fat people need to realize just how fat they are and all the negative things about being fat. Parents need to enforce healthier food for kids. Seriously, all the 6-8 year old kids around here are so goddamn fat, only now I realize just what a big problem this is. And parents force-feeding their kids too much, this problem also needs to be dealt with ('tis the reason I got fat). Sports and just general physical activity needs to be promoted more.

EDIT: Obviously this stuff doesn't apply to fat people that are fat because of a medical condition.
Last edited by Shinami at Aug 26, 2011,
We all know what the solution is. A cap needs to be put in place. Any land beast that is above the weight cap will be killed. Human or otherwise.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
From my understanding, fat people DO NOT enjoy to be fat, it's just that they do not enjoy to do sports and eat normal food more than they do not enjoy to be fat.
I'm not sure there is anything we can do as such, in terms of government forcing people to be healthy. What they can do is make sure the right information is out there, make sure everyone has access to unprocessed food (whether they choose to buy it or not is different) and access to a relatively cheap leisure centre.

Apart from that, if people still want to be fat, let them. However, I don't think they should expect help when that becomes a problem. People expecting the state to deal with it makes it the government's problem. The state expecting people to deal with it makes it their own problem, and quite rightly too.
Quote by Shinami
For one thing, the whole being fat defended by the fact that "It's his personal choice!" and all that tolerance-kajigerthingy needs to go. Fat people need to realize just how fat they are and all the negative things about being fat. Parents need to enforce healthier food for kids. Seriously, all the 6-8 year old kids around here are so goddamn fat, only now I realize just what a big problem this is. And parents force-feeding their kids too much, this problem also needs to be dealt with ('tis the reason I got fat). Sports and just general physical activity needs to be promoted more.

If we're doing away with tolerance then why should anyone listen to and tolerate your stupid opinions?

Think about it. For one thing, the whole being stupid defended by the fact that "It's his personal choice!" and all that tolerance-kajigerthingy needs to go. Stupid people need to realize just how stupid they are and all the negative things about being stupid. Parents need to enforce better education for kids. Seriously, all the 6-8 year old kids around here are so goddamn stupid, only now I realize just what a big problem this is. And parents letting their kids just watch tv and get on the computer, this problem also needs to be dealt with ('tis the reason you got stupid). School and just general reading activity needs to be promoted more.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Last edited by dann_blood at Aug 26, 2011,
Quote by SmarterChild
I'm not sure there is anything we can do as such, in terms of government forcing people to be healthy. What they can do is make sure the right information is out there, make sure everyone has access to unprocessed food (whether they choose to buy it or not is different) and access to a relatively cheap leisure centre.

Apart from that, if people still want to be fat, let them. However, I don't think they should expect help when that becomes a problem. People expecting the state to deal with it makes it the government's problem. The state expecting people to deal with it makes it their own problem, and quite rightly too.

Furthermore, I expect them not the be standing in the middle of a goddamn public bus and then sighing frustratedly when people try to get out of it past him.

/personalbeef

Quote by dann_blood
If we're doing away with tolerance then why should anyone listen to and tolerate your stupid opinions?

That's not what I meant, but for all I care, you don't have to listen to or tolerate my stupid opinion, if that's what you think. What I meant is that "being fat" should stop being pushed as a thing that's not bad.
Last edited by Shinami at Aug 26, 2011,
Quote by Shinami
That's not what I meant, but for all I care, you don't have to listen to or tolerate my stupid opinion, if that's what you think.

But I do anyway, because i'm not a thoughtless idiotic dick.

What I meant is that "being fat" should stop being pushed as a thing that's not bad.

Seriously? That might be believable if you didn't pay any attention to anything except whether or not people are fat, but there are massive negative connotations associated with being fat in our society, including automatic associations with laziness, social status and immorality.
Quote by Vornik
Quote by dann_blood
Seriously? That might be believable if you didn't pay any attention to anything except whether or not people are fat, but there are massive negative connotations associated with being fat in our society, including automatic associations with laziness, social status and immorality.

Usually pretty accurately.
Wait.. wait, wait, wait I got it.

They will make nutritious fertiliser to grow healthy vegetables.

See what I did? I got rid of the bad and enforced the good.
I'm such a genious. Everyone who does not agree will become nutritious fertiliser.
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
^ I don't know how it's in Australia. The association thing certainly exists, but here it's just with laziness. Might be different where the obesity rates are bigger, I'm just talking from personal experience here. And the association with laziness did not come from anywhere, it's generally true (except, like I said, with medical conditions), it is not hard to stay generally fit.

I don't understand why you're so hostile towards me tho, wasn't trying to offend anyone, but whatever.

EDIT: 'Tis was meant for dann_blood, apparently I type really slow

Also, just curious, how are fat people associated with immorality? First time I'm hearing of this.
Quote by Vornik
Quote by Shinami
^ I don't know how it's in Australia. The association thing certainly exists, but here it's just with laziness. Might be different where the obesity rates are bigger, I'm just talking from personal experience here. And the association with laziness did not come from anywhere, it's generally true (except, like I said, with medical conditions), it is not hard to stay generally fit.

I don't understand why you're so hostile towards me tho, wasn't trying to offend anyone, but whatever.

EDIT: 'Tis was meant for dann_blood, apparently I type really slow

Also, just curious, how are fat people associated with immorality? First time I'm hearing of this.

See the articles I posted above. It's lengthy reading, so reading the abstracts and conclusion should be enough to give you a general idea.
Quote by Vornik
Quote by dann_blood

Instead of just posting links to a load of what seems to be a load of generically awful academic texts, that neither of us are ever going to read, provide me with some solid evidence that the stereotypical connotation of laziness and fat has absolutely no foundation in fact.

In other words, prove to me that doing no exercise has no impact upon health at all, against nearly all studies into it, and then I'll believe you about the negative connotations. Also, prove you're not trolling.

Edit: I love the sheer pretentious postmodernism of those studies. I'm so glad I've finished my degree and don't have to read crap like that anymore.
Examining the volume and content of media reporting on obesity, we evaluate whether the obesity epidemic can be constructively analyzed as a moral panic, in which the obese are treated as folk devils who violate societal values of self-control

It's just vile.
Last edited by SmarterChild at Aug 26, 2011,
Quote by dann_blood
But I do anyway, because i'm not a thoughtless idiotic dick.

I would be considered fat, but I'm not lazy, and I don't eat much compared to others on my football team. I love to run and exercise, and I'm in better shape than some of the skinny people(I can beat most of my skinny friends in an uphill bike race, but maybe not a running race). I was fat since I was about 9, when I WAS lazy(didn't play any sports or love exercise until I was 11). I just have trouble keeping any weight off. I weighed 275 pounds after wrestling season ended, I was 296 pounds at the beginning of football season. I now weigh about 293-294 pounds at every weigh in, unless I drink extreme amounts of water.

Maybe if I built a little more muscle or did something like P90X(my friend owns it, and offered to lend it to me), I would have a better time with my weight.

To the guy above me. I am fat because I eat a little more than usual, and my body doesn't seem to process food well.

This sig is colored just to annoy the UG classic users.

Trying to think of witty things to put in my sig. Message if you have ideas.
Last edited by pokeatthedevil at Aug 26, 2011,
Quote by pokeatthedevil
I would be considered fat, but I'm not lazy, and I don't eat much compared to others on my football team. I love to run and exercise, and I'm in better shape than some of the skinny people(I can beat most of my skinny friends in an uphill bike race, but maybe not a running race). I was fat since I was about 9, when I WAS lazy(didn't play any sports or love exercise until I was 11). I just have trouble keeping any weight off. I weighed 275 pounds after wrestling season ended, I was 296 pounds at the beginning of football season. I now weigh about 293-294 pounds at every weigh in, unless I drink extreme amounts of water.

Maybe if I built a little more muscle or did something like P90X(my friend owns it, and offered to lend it to me), I would have a better time with my weight.

To the guy above me. I am fat because I eat a little more than usual, and my body doesn't seem to process food well.

You seem to be describing "chubby", the talk here is about obese people - the people so fat, they don't look like normal humans anymore, more like round balls of flesh with limbs sticking out
Quote by whalepudding
Shops that sell fatty food should be made, by law, to have really thin doors.

This is genius, right here.

Not the person, though, the idea.
Quote by Shinami
You seem to be describing "chubby", the talk here is about obese people - the people so fat, they don't look like normal humans anymore, more like round balls of flesh with limbs sticking out

I guess to look at me, you could say that... But if you look at my build, I would be "Fat-Ass"(My weight collects on my Butt, hips, calves, and thighs with a little bit on my stomach and chest, my face is pretty slim... no double chin until I look down.)

This sig is colored just to annoy the UG classic users.

Trying to think of witty things to put in my sig. Message if you have ideas.
Quote by SmarterChild
Instead of just posting links to a load of what seems to be a load of generically awful academic texts, that neither of us are ever going to read, provide me with some solid evidence that the stereotypical connotation of laziness and fat has absolutely no foundation in fact.

I just did, as inconvenient as you might find it.

In other words, prove to me that doing no exercise has no impact upon health at all, against nearly all studies into it, and then I'll believe you about the negative connotations.

So in other words you're taking the multiple connotations associated with obesity, then trying to redefine the argument on a narrow interpretation based on one aspect of physical health whilst ignoring every other individual and societal factor (also called the fallacy of divisions) in a way that sets up a few nice strawmen?

Lol. Nobody is saying that a lack of physical exercise has no effect on physical health, it's the other various connotations and moral judgements which are rubbish and, ultimately, counter-productive to trying to encourage healthier lifestyles.

Also, prove you're not trolling.

Prove you're not stupid.

Edit: I love the sheer pretentious postmodernism of those studies. I'm so glad I've finished my degree and don't have to read crap like that anymore.

It's just vile.

I love how you dismiss research and structured arguments with a logical fallacy based on the wording of an abstract and expect anyone to take you seriously. Almost as though you were a pretentious twat.

Quote by pokeatthedevil

Some people are different. There are the different bodytypes (endo, meso, ecto) which, whilst not absolutes, hold for alot of people, and there are a whole lot of cultural and social factors and beliefs which are detrimental but ingrained in the social consciousnes.
Quote by Vornik
Last edited by dann_blood at Aug 26, 2011,
Quote by Kensai

They must all be cleansed from the earth.
Quote by dann_blood
I just did, as inconvenient as you might find it.
You didn't. All you did was posted some articles about how the focus on health is a moral panic. They don't actually prove it's unjustified.

So in other words you're taking the multiple connotations associated with obesity, then trying to redefine the argument on a narrow interpretation based on one aspect of physical health whilst ignoring every other individual and societal factor (also called the fallacy of divisions) in a way that sets up a few nice strawmen?

Lol. Nobody is saying that a lack of physical exercise has no effect on physical health, it's the other various connotations and moral judgements which are rubbish and, ultimately, counter-productive to trying to encourage healthier lifestyles.
I didn't address the others, about morality and so on, because I don't believe in those either. But laziness is a justified connotation. The majority of fat people are fat because they're lazy. That may not be physically. They may be too lazy to change their diet, or too lazy to research proper nutrition, or too lazy to cook for themselves. For most people, there's no social pressure making them do these things that they couldn't fight if they wanted to.

I love how you dismiss research and structured arguments with a logical fallacy based on the wording of an abstract and expect anyone to take you seriously. Almost as though you were a pretentious twat.

Piss off. I've read enough academic work to be able to discern quality research from a load of crap about Epicurus and Nietzsche that somehow proves that we should embrace an unhealthy lifestyle. One of those articles has a section where it relates foodstuffs to philosophy. It's hardly quality academic work. If the ability to critique as well as read makes me a pretentious twat, I'm happy with that. And, if thinking that fat people deserve their fatness makes me a twat, I'm fine with that, because I'll be a healthy twat.
Burn all fat people for their energy. Solve the energy crisis, the world hunger problem and the obesity problem in one fell swoop.

My work here is done.
Quote by Kensai
Jamie Oliver had the right idea about changing children's school lunches into healthier choices, rather than the fast food crap they've been served before, but unfortunately it didn't catch on.

Jamie Oliver banned Turkey Twizzlers. I despise that man. And he's fat himself anyway... he puts oil in all of his food
Spin round carousel
When your horse isn't screwed in

I II III VI:1 VI:2
They could maybe start by fixing this abortion of an image first

| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
^ Besides that it looks like it's glorifying chips, cookies and candy, what's wrong with it?
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Page 1 of 3