I've just had a thought.

I was thinking about how the music business is apparantly 'suffering' from illegal downloading, and then i thought about films and how they make so much money from them compared to music. Then it struck me - Cinemas!

So i thought, what if when an album is released, you can't hear it unless you go to a special listening place where you have to pay an entry fee and then you can listen to the album once on headphones or a group of people listening on speakers or something? Of course it'd be cheaper than the cinema but it would also mean that the chances of it being available to download would be drastically reduced as there would be cameras and monitoring systems.

So pit, what do you think?
we could call this a concert!

Dragon's Den here we come
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
So how exactly do you think a company could possibly make profit this way? They would have to compete with companies who still release music the normal way, and seeing that people want to own the music they buy and take it home with them, any company investing in this idea would surely go bankrupt in no time. It can't possibly work.
Same way films do i guess? Advertising maybe?

It would also be on hi-def systems which a lot of people may not have at home.

Quote by slash_GNR666
we could call this a concert!

Dragon's Den here we come

And it wouldn't be a concert, it would just be a listening of the new album, the actualy musicians wouldn't be present.
Last edited by Afroboy267 at Aug 26, 2011,
The point I'm trying to make is that no company will ever take the risk of trying this since it's bound to attract far less people than simply putting music out on cd would. On top of that, this won't stop illegal downloading, seeing that people still have plenty of ways to acquire the album, whether that is via the internet or buying a physical copy, after which they can still put it up on the internet for other to download.
It isnt practical. How many people will want to travel to some dark room somewhere to listen to an album once for a fee. In my experience, one-time album streams never hit the spot for anyone anyway.

I can see the angle, and I'd love it if it existed in some more accessible and exciting form. It would enhance the album as an art form again, it would do many things for music. But, you know, so would a rock and roll band who grew up together in a small town on Mars, flew over to Earth and changed the music world forever. But it wont happen.
Quote by Equivalence
The point I'm trying to make is that no company will ever take the risk of trying this since it's bound to attract far less people than simply putting music out on cd would. On top of that, this won't stop illegal downloading, seeing that people still have plenty of ways to acquire the album, whether that is via the internet or buying a physical copy, after which they can still put it up on the internet for other to download.

Mmm, it's just an idea i guess, films seem to be able to cope with it. No harm in try to think of solutions.
I've heard of similar things being done in the past, where a band will launch an album at an event like this where people pay to hear it in a cinema-like venue, and the cost of entry includes a copy of the CD to take home.

Not 100% sure about this part, but I think I remember Iron Maiden doing this for one of their albums in the 90's?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Seems like a good way to meet new friends.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Think I'll just pop on my favourite album and have a listen. Oh wait, it's raining outside. On second thoughts, I'll just masturbate furiously and rub honey loops into the shag pile.