So basically my problem is that especially my right hand can't play the songs that I used to be able to play. I can't even play a lot of metallica songs anymore because my right just cramps out. Also it changes from day to day sometimes I can do some of those songs and other days I can't even do 1 fast song. Something that I should probably add is that I don't practice every day anymore. When studying or doing stuff with my friends there are 2 or 3 days a week that I don't pick up the bass for more than 30 minutes. Would that be the problem?

So if anyone has had this problem: is it a technique thing or a lack of practice?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I would expect that it is lack of practice.

I found that I couldn't play Teen Town anymore after ignoring it for a while. I've just spent the last week with heavy practice getting it back up to speed.
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Quote by Killerfridge
I would expect that it is lack of practice.

I found that I couldn't play Teen Town anymore after ignoring it for a while. I've just spent the last week with heavy practice getting it back up to speed.

Problem is that Metallica shouldn't really be a problem.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Problem is that Metallica shouldn't really be a problem.

True, but going unpracticed, it's still going to leave your hand fatigued. I have trouble playing some of my originals bands stuff sometimes, and that is really not difficult, I just don't practice it!

Perhaps consider playing with a lighter touch?
Current Gear:

Warwick Thumb BO 4
Musicman "StatusRay" Stingray 4 - Carbon Fibre Neck
Musicman Stingray 5 HH
Sadowsky MV4 Jazz

Markbass LittleMark II
AccuGroove Tri12l
Sansamp VT Bass
Line6 BassPodXT Live

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Quote by Killerfridge

Perhaps consider playing with a lighter touch?

This, and warm up. Even if you're just squeezing a ball for a few minutes, or rolling your fingers around, you'll relax your muscles and shake off the cobwebs from the last time you practiced.
modes are a social construct
Metallica songs arent the hardest in the book but they are pretty relentless which means your hand doesnt get pauses, I'd think you'd have to practice regularly to keep your stamina.