So lets say i got this rundown from the low e to the E. Starting very low on the neck and ending on the high E somewhere 10-12 frets higher.

I like it. How do I identify what Im I playing. ? Major/minor(ok MAYBE these two aint such a big problem)/pentatonic/blues or any other 'thing'.

----------------------------

Sidenote:

Supposedly the 'lick/riff or w/e' has notes that fall under various 'categories/constructions dont really know how to say it'( For eg. I know theres a certain key major/minor scale that has all the notes of some other key major/minor scale.)
We'd need to hear it/see a tab for it to be able to identify it. With the information you've given, all that could safely be said is that it fits into the chromatic scale.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
how the **** should we know?
You need to tell use the notes (or give tabs) if you want us to say what scale you're playing.
Why do you call it rundown when the run goes upwards?
Just call it a run instead.
Ok lets say you got these notes C D G A E B D# ( in no particular order ) - what are my choices? and how did you pick them out

Quote by JB95
how the **** should we know?
You need to tell use the notes (or give tabs) if you want us to say what scale you're playing.
Why do you call it rundown when the run goes upwards?
Just call it a run instead.

Im not asking what I'm playing. Im asking on what basic steps you should take in order to identify what one's playing
Last edited by DocArunas at Aug 26, 2011,
Depends entirely on what you're playing over really. You could be playing Bb mixolydianb5add#9 but if you're playing it over a chord progression or riff that's in A minor... that's what it is, it's just got a bunch of accidentals in it.

The real key is to remember what those intervals are relative to the tonal centre of the backing, if you know that then you should be able to do it in any key.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Depends entirely on what you're playing over really. You could be playing Bb mixolydianb5add#9 ...

Or just A blues
What you're really asking is, how do I know what scales the notes I'm playing belong to, and what chords they'd work over.

Which is really more to do with music theory and learning about scales, intervals and chords than anything else. If you're familiar enough with scales, intervals, chords and how to find them over the fretboard, then that's how you'll know how to identify things.