Hello,

I made my own parstocaster last year, and I had a neck which was fine, but I based my guitar on the Richie Sambora signature, and I found a neck with star inlays really cheap (it's a beautiful neck), so I bought it and went to put it on my strat, lined it up and everything, drilled the holes but when I string it up the strings start touching the board at around the 7th fret.

I left the old strings on in case something like this happened, so I only have the 4th 5th and 6th string on, and I've raised the action as high as it'll go on the 6th string but there's still, not buzzing, more like damping, on the first couple frets.

Is it the way the neck is fitted? Should I put something to raise the neck at the 'neck end' of the pocket?

It's going from a 21 to a 22 fret neck also.

Really don't want to spend any money getting it set up (I'm just a poor university student!), and I'd actually like to learn how to do it myself anyway, so any advice is much appreciated!
Maybe a new nut would fix it?
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
can you take a picture from the side of the neck so we can see exactly what it looks like?

It could be that the neck itself isn't straight, possibly the truss rod is waaaay off or even broken,

nut could need replacing, or maybe the frets need to be dressed,

A picture will definitely help narrow it down!
Quote by SMTHSCN
can you take a picture from the side of the neck so we can see exactly what it looks like?

It could be that the neck itself isn't straight, possibly the truss rod is waaaay off or even broken,

nut could need replacing, or maybe the frets need to be dressed,

A picture will definitely help narrow it down!

Okay I took a load of pictures, never uploaded before, tried to but the files are too big, so, for the record I hate photobucket but they're all here:

http://s919.photobucket.com/albums/ad37/Oneill9293/

It looks to me like the neck is off centre anyway if you look at the one I took of the neck plate.

Thoughts?
hmm, to my eye, there seems to be a downward slope from the 12th fret

The frets seem fine, and I can't tell if there is an issue with the nut.

Do you know how to set up the bow in your neck properly? Try adjusting the truss rod and get it all set up, if it's still buggered, I would take it to a tech

It's still entirely possible that the thing isn't straight in the neck pocket, but I wouldn't be able to tell without checking the guitar out, sorry I can't be more help!
from what I could see, you've got a good case of backbow. Just google truss rod adjustment or adjusting tross rod etc, and youre bound to find something about backbow. If your strat looks or sounds the way they describe it, then just follow their instructions on how to fix it. If you do adjust it, make sure you go slowly and carefully though.
*insert witty statement here*
You have a crooked neck. Just do a truss rod twisty (actually just look up "truss rod adjustment" instead)
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Depends, I don't know what pickups go good with plywood. EMGs will make it sound like every other EMG guitar though.

Quote by JazzMunkeyy
it needs a silver flakes
and sara underwood
turn the truss rod to the left a 1/4 turn at a time to give the neck some relife. Or curve it the other way. let it settle a little bit and then check it... repaet the process till its right. wai about 2min inbetween turns.