Hi everyone!
Can anyone please tell me what are some important metal or rock guitar techniques that I would need to focus on? Recently, my friends and started a band so I really need to start improving my technique. I have been playing guitar for about 3 years now (self-taught) and I've mostly practiced fingerstyle and neglected much else. I understand basic music theory and scales and a few other things too.

Also, could you give me some pointers on rhythm guitar? I really seem to struggle with rhythm so I need to focus on this a bit more as well.

All help appreciated!
Palm-muting, down-picking, alternate picking and picking power chords are the biggest techniques needed for a rhythm player

As far as timing goes, if you've been playing 3 years I'm assuming you can play songs now...you could try playing along with a metronome or slow down the song and play with it till you can speed up and get tight.
as a rhythm player, your right hand is everything. as already mentioned, palm-muting, down-picking and alternate-picking are the big ones.

depending on the style of metal, your left hand might be doing anything from simple power chords to highly complex single note patterns, so you might wanna just make sure your chops are at top notch for that
Best techniques for metal or rock... All of em! hah. To improve technique all you have to do is practice! seems simple but what to practice is the issue. Your situation is a bit vague but if you are looking for rock and metal styles check out rock or metal songs if you cant play it then practice it.

I strongly recommend private lessons, this will help you get more of a direction. If that's out of the budget then you gotta start somewhere head over to youtube and start learning some rock and metal songs you will learn all you need in the songs you will learn. Metallica, Megadeth, iced earth, or whatever your band seeks to sound like.
Definitely learn to be able to economy pick licks that ascend, unless you play a lick that plays more than 3 notes per string. In this case, economy pick to go to the next string and then alternate pick on that string until you need to go to the next one, then economy pick. For descending always alternate pick. You could economy pick while descending, but if there are more than three notes per string your picking motion will get very confusing. You might be able to pull it off, but the note you slide to will become lost amongst the notes at high speeds and will throw your rhythm off big time.

Try these licks for some practice:

e--15-14-12-11-----------------------------------------------------------------
B-------------------13-12-10----------------------------------------------------
G--------------------------------12-11-9-8--------------------------------------
D----------------------------------------------10-9-7----------------------------
A-------------------------------------------------------10-9-7-6-----------------
E--------------------------------------------------------------------8-7-5-3-2-0-

When you're on the low E string and you're on the 5th fret use your index finger for the last two notes, then the open E string.

e---------------------------------------------------------------------------------13-15-17-15-17-19
B-----------------------------------------------------------12-13-15-13-15-17---------------------
G-------------------------------------9-10-12-10-12-14--------------------------------------------
D-------------------7-9-10-9-10-12----------------------------------------------------------------
A------5-7-8-7-8-10-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E--5-7-8-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had to put some of the numbers over the others, so this lick looks a little messed up, but it's a great lick for improving your picking. There's a trick to it. Never slide during this lick. Always move your hand to the next economical position. And your picking should be economy on the low E string to get to the A string, and then from there it's all alternate picking. If you don't economy pick to get to the A string your picking will be backwards. You'll be going to the next string on an unstroke. With strict alternate picking this may seem to be natural, but it's a whole lot easier to pick the way I said. It will feel a little bit awkward at first, but after a few days you'll see how easy and natural picking can feel.

The first lick is a classic harmonic minor "Yngwie" lick in the key of E minor. The second is an ascending A natural minor lick.

If you play a descending lick that uses only three notes per string, THEN you can economy pick (and you should). This will make your playing very clean if you choose to pick most of your notes.
Learn some Green Day or Blink-182.

Seriously, you'll be glad you did.
If your going metal i would say Avenged Sevenfold or something with some good palm mute riff.
Metallica is really good practice. A lot of down picking, alternating, palm muting...
Get your 8-string out and play some Meshuggah. jk.

I suggest oracticing those previously mentioned techniques with songs than involve them. Something like

Metallica - Battery/AJFA for galloping, downpicking palm muting etc. very basics of metal playing

Emperor - I Am the Black Wizards /Inno A Satana for tremolo picking , chord changes etc.

Pantera - anything since CFH for groove
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
For metal biggest technique is hybrid 3 notes per string combined with economy.

No, really, galloping, palm muting, alternate picking, down picking (extremely valuable for thrash), etc etc.
I wouldn't recommend practicing only downpicking, like Hetfield does. You'll make lot slower progress than you would alternate picking, plus it can lead to wrist injury if you try to rush it.
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!
Quote by GuitarViking
I wouldn't recommend practicing only downpicking, like Hetfield does. You'll make lot slower progress than you would alternate picking, plus it can lead to wrist injury if you try to rush it.

So can overkilling on the alternate picking, whatever you practice can injure you if you don't do it right.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I think sometimes people get a bit too paranoid about injuring themselves while playing guitar. At least I see it a lot on this site. You just need to practice and don't worry about anything. Don't think about hurting yourself. You'll just hold yourself back.
"To this day I don't have a guitar idol. I have people who are my favorites." - Randy Rhoads
Quote by fretmaster13
I think sometimes people get a bit too paranoid about injuring themselves while playing guitar. At least I see it a lot on this site. You just need to practice and don't worry about anything. Don't think about hurting yourself. You'll just hold yourself back.

No one's saying you shouldn't practice for 10 hours a day or whatever but if you're going to do that you need to make sure your technique is good or you'll injure yourself, it's just that simple. That's what I meant by doing it right, not cutting back the hours, just making sure that your technique is good enough to support that kind of playing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I'm with fret master on this. Unless you have razor blades on your bridge I don't think you are going to hurt yourself. If Marty Friedman didn't injure himself them I think you'll be OK. How horrible could someones technique be that will cause injury... I would be more afraid of developing a bad habit over an injury. The only injury is long-term like arthritis and that doesn't matter how perfect your technique is. I promise downpicking like Hetfield wont make your arm won't fall off. I personally don't practice it but truly you are only supposed to alt pick on a passage that is to fast to downpick. I could go on but there is a hurricane on its way, good day sirs.