I have played both guitar and bass for almost equally as long.

My main influences on my guitar playing are Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath), James Hetfield (Metallica), Dave Mustaine (Megadeth), Brian Tatler (Diamond Head) and Randy Rhoads.

And my influnces on bass are Steve Harris (Iron Maiden), Cliff Burton (ex-Metallica), Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath), David Ellefson (Megadeth) and Jason Newstead (ex-Metallica).

I wonder if I should choose guitar or bass as my main instrument, it can be weird changing from one to another when I've played with one of them for a while. For example, finger picking on bass can be weird and hard after playing with a pick (guitar) for a while before.

I'd like to have one instrument I can focus "entirely"/more on than the other, but I can't make the decision.

TL;DR: Should I focus on playing guitar or bass?
Quote by Kill A Kitten
You know that old saying: "Men who play bass in the band have the largest genitalia." Well, it's the same for women.
Too many guitarist out there.
Go grab a bass.
Way easier for you to find a band too.
Quote by JB95
Go grab a bass.

This
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by JB95
Go grab a bass.

This x1000000000000000000000000
Quote by JB95
Go grab a bass.

I've thought about doing this, but playing guitar on the side.
If I'd still pick guitar as main instrument I'd probably sing too, and there's not too many singers here where I live.

It's almost like a win-win situation. Both bassits and singers are pretty rare around here.
Quote by Kill A Kitten
You know that old saying: "Men who play bass in the band have the largest genitalia." Well, it's the same for women.
Quote by Low Man's Lyric
I've thought about doing this, but playing guitar on the side.
If I'd still pick guitar as main instrument I'd probably sing too, and there's not too many singers here where I live.

It's almost like a win-win situation. Both bassits and singers are pretty rare around here.

Do it. You'd be a guitarist's wet dream.
if you want to get offered by a lot of bands, play bass. in fact, if you sing lead vocals and play bass simultaneously, you'll probably get offers all over your country.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Quote by Afroboy267
Do it. You'd be a guitarist's wet dream.

You mean if I'd play bass, and also guitar? Or the singing? I'm confused.

Quote by byob_soad2
>looks at TS's sig

the choice is obvious

It was more something I think is funny, it is, and it's true (I'm a bassist)

Quote by laid-to-waste
if you want to get offered by a lot of bands, play bass. in fact, if you sing lead vocals and play bass simultaneously, you'll probably get offers all over your country.

Seems fair.
Quote by Kill A Kitten
Last edited by Low Man's Lyric at Aug 26, 2011,
Quote by LostLegion
But aren't bassists the forgotten members of the band?

your face is the forgotten member of your face
Quote by Afroboy267
Bass + Singing

Ah, now I understand. I don't think I'd be comfortable playing bass and sing at the same time, it doesn't come as natural to me as playing guitar and sing.
Quote by Kill A Kitten
Quote by LostLegion

I thought the forgotten members were the triangle-ists
Quote by Low Man's Lyric
Ah, now I understand. I don't think I'd be comfortable playing bass and sing at the same time, it doesn't come as natural to me as playing guitar and sing.

why don't you play programming, fog machine, lights, backing vocals?

Quote by Shinami

they're called triciclists
Quote by fishmike
I thought a bass was guitar

How about playing both?

It's weird to me to switch between the two frequently, I explained this.

Quote by laid-to-waste
your face is the forgotten member of your face

Quote by Kill A Kitten
Quote by laid-to-waste

A fog machine solo.....

(Invalid img)
Quote by Low Man's Lyric

Just practise i guess. Also if you make mistakes playing bass it won't matter so Vocals will be the main thing.
Quote by LostLegion

Not if you're creative.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Low Man's Lyric
It's weird to me to switch between the two frequently, I explained this.

My hand is bigger than that picture :P
Quote by laid-to-waste

I'm not cool enough.
Quote by Kill A Kitten
Quote by institutions
..but it seems you've already made your choice ;D

And what would that be? You know something I don't know
Quote by Kill A Kitten
Well really it depends on what you want to play more, but it seems you are pretty even in terms of which instrument you want to play.

In that case, I would go bass (I personally wanted to play bass, but my parents got bass and guitar mixed up and got me a guitar instead, which I fell in love with anyways). The reason being is that while bass players aren't necessarily the main "actors" in a performance, many times they are the directors, even producers, which help get the show going, and help support the show. Many opportunities for you to use your talents there.

Also, there are so many guitarists out there already, you'll have a hard time getting into any band (unless the band has 7 lead guitarists... I've seen that before). If you are a bass player, sing, and on top of all of that write songs or have good skills in that area, people will be begging you to join their band.
I guess I want both? To play guitar/sing and play bass.

What if I'd do both in two different bands? Then I'd get "the best of both worlds".
Quote by Kill A Kitten
Quote by zincabopataurio
Well really it depends on what you want to play more, but it seems you are pretty even in terms of which instrument you want to play.

In that case, I would go bass (I personally wanted to play bass, but my parents got bass and guitar mixed up and got me a guitar instead, which I fell in love with anyways). The reason being is that while bass players aren't necessarily the main "actors" in a performance, many times they are the directors, even producers, which help get the show going, and help support the show. Many opportunities for you to use your talents there.

Also, there are so many guitarists out there already, you'll have a hard time getting into any band (unless the band has 7 lead guitarists... I've seen that before). If you are a bass player, sing, and on top of all of that write songs or have good skills in that area, people will be begging you to join their band.

Yes, it's pretty even on what instrument I want to play.

I'm not looking for to be the center of attention onstage or elsewhere. I just want to play, so bass would be just fine for me.

I realise singing and playing bass would be very good when joining bands, but I'm not overly creative in songwriting and coming up with riffs/lyrics.

But if I'd now go with the bass/vocals combo, I'd still keep playing guitar so when writing bass parts I can check to see how the guitar fits with it at the same time.
Quote by Kill A Kitten
Quote by Shinami

I never remember seeing a triangle-ist in Cannibal Corpse.

But if there was...