I have the dk2m and its great. If it into maple fretboards or looking for a change from rosewood its a good choice
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by ORCRiST
I love my Dinky DKMG, I say go for it - you can't go wrong with a Jackson!

Well now Im in a conundrum because there are DKMGs for same price. I had only searched DK2 because they were recommended to me. Which do you suggest for a metalhead? DK2 or a DKMG? I've listed a couple that I found below here. Mostly thrash more than Drop-C Screaming hardcore deathmetal. Bands Like Megadeth, Metallica(pre-sucktitude), AV7X etc? Two DKMGs are these:

Nice one

Also nice with shitty amp I wont use
Quote by JoeRayClapton
Never owned a maple is there a dramatic difference?

I fell in love with my maple fretnoard because its easier to clean/maintain....u dont that ugly scratchy look that u do with rosewood, and it feels a lot smoother. In addition the tone is a little brigterbrigter
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
I fell in love with my maple fretnoard because its easier to clean/maintain....u dont that ugly scratchy look that u do with rosewood, and it feels a lot smoother. In addition the tone is a little brigterbrigter

Not seeing the downside Sounds like it's not to be a problem for me.
pretty nice guitars let down by a sub-par trem... if you're willing to swap the trem, they can be nice guitars (though add the price of a good trem onto the price of the dk2 and you might just be able to get a guitar with a better trem stock).

maple vs rosewood is pretty much preference. they are different, but nothing that you can't really work around tonally.

duncans versus emgs... for what you want, you could make a case for either, but personally i'd probably go with the duncans
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
pretty nice guitars let down by a sub-par trem... if you're willing to swap the trem, they can be nice guitars (though add the price of a good trem onto the price of the dk2 and you might just be able to get a guitar with a better trem stock).

maple vs rosewood is pretty much preference. they are different, but nothing that you can't really work around tonally.

duncans versus emgs... for what you want, you could make a case for either, but personally i'd probably go with the duncans

Any other brands/Models you think I should look at considering these and my musical style? I am not very knowledgeable about them as you can see.
Quote by Dave_Mc

Sub par trem.....your kidding right? It holds tune as well as any OFR with a proper setup. Only reason it is cheaper is because its made of les expensive material. I use mine extensively with just the slightest tuning issues Wichita can be solved by a quick pull up
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
Sub par trem.....your kidding right? It holds tune as well as any OFR with a proper setup. Only reason it is cheaper is because its made of les expensive material. I use mine extensively with just the slightest tuning issues Wichita can be solved by a quick pull up

any i've tried have been horribly clunky

tuning stability, while extremely important, isn't the only thing you're looking for when you get a floyd. It also has to be able to do all the floyd tricks, which a lot of the cheaper ones can't do, in my experience.

Quote by JoeRayClapton
Any other brands/Models you think I should look at considering these and my musical style? I am not very knowledgeable about them as you can see.

depends on where you are (as that'll affect prices and availability), but maybe the new charvel pro mods? they're made in japan like the jacksons, but have a better trem stock, and depending on where you are, might not be any dearer (or at least, not much) than the jacksons. And they come with a hard case, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The biggest difference in these guitars is the pickups. For me personally, I'd rather get the DK2, since I'm not the biggest fan of active pups, but it's your call. Also among the two DK2s you posted there's a HSS and a HH. For your style, I'd say go for the HH, but the HSS would work as well. Again, it's all preference.
Well all i have to say is that the licensed Floyd on my dk2m does all the flutters, dive bombs, and high pull ups just fine.
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED

any of the ones i've tried in shops didn't. Maybe they were set up badly, I dunno, but the good floyds I've tried in shops worked perfectly.

I mean... it's not like i've tried 100 of them, or anything. But I've tried enough of them that there seemed to be a pattern emerging, and while it's not beyond the realms of possibility, it's highly unlikely that the 5 or so different jackson-branded trems i've tried were all set up badly, whereas all the OFRs and original Edges etc. I tried weren't. Also I have a floyd on my musicyo kramer which feels similar to the jackson ones i've tried, and no amount of faffing about trying to make it any better with setting it up helped.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 26, 2011,
Its all about the setup. Ive tried countless OFR's that hold tune worse then a squire
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
i'm not really talking about the tuning, more about how the thing reacts to your playing. unless you've done something really daft, even a not-that-well-set-up Schaller OFR is going to flutter like crazy if you whack it. And they have a really nice smooth action. Ditto things like a schaller, or gotoh, or original edge or the like.

If I whack my kramer trem, nomatter how well it's set up, it clunks about twice and then gives up the ghost. I had a similar feeling from the jackson trems I've tried.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
U sure like shrugging lol
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
When i used cheap trems i was scared of fluttering because once i did it and it broke a string Not with good trems like edges, ofrs etc
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'm not really talking about the tuning, more about how the thing reacts to your playing. unless you've done something really daft, even a not-that-well-set-up Schaller OFR is going to flutter like crazy if you whack it. And they have a really nice smooth action. Ditto things like a schaller, or gotoh, or original edge or the like.

If I whack my kramer trem, nomatter how well it's set up, it clunks about twice and then gives up the ghost. I had a similar feeling from the jackson trems I've tried.

This. A good floyd should keep going for a while, the cheap ones judder and dont feel as good. Its not so much the ease of movement, its how the trem feels on its own if that makes sense.

Quote by EspTro
U sure like shrugging lol

Its better than coming across as a pushy know it all.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb

yeah, it's just kind of a feeling when using the trem. Like, when I use an OFR, or a gotoh (or even say a wilkinson or something like that), it's just the overall feeling of the trem- the trem's sustain is good, I can do tricks and the note doesn't just die away, I can get nice flutter, and the trem reacts positively, but sensitively, to all the tricks you do. It just feels nice, and it feels like the trem is working with you, rather than against you. Much like using a good guitar or good amp versus a crappy one, the gear is helping you, rather than holding you back.

Yes, a bad setup will make even a bad trem play badly, but a good setup won't fix a bad trem's deficiencies in manufacturing/quality of materials, either.

There seems to be a bit of a bandwagon at the moment that any problems anyone has with anything is user error- the old "a bad workman blames his tools" proverb has a lot to answer for, if you ask me.

While I'm not suggesting that user error can't be part of the problem, it's not always the cause of problems. Some stuff is just better, and some stuff is just sub-par, and no amount of user skill will really circumvent that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 26, 2011,
Quote by JoeRayClapton
Well now Im in a conundrum because there are DKMGs for same price. I had only searched DK2 because they were recommended to me. Which do you suggest for a metalhead? DK2 or a DKMG? I've listed a couple that I found below here. Mostly thrash more than Drop-C Screaming hardcore deathmetal. Bands Like Megadeth, Metallica(pre-sucktitude), AV7X etc? Two DKMGs are these:

Nice one

Also nice with shitty amp I wont use

Those examples look like newer (or cheaper?) versions than my trans-red 2008 with an EMG-81 and 85... I got it off Ebay, one of the very rare Ebay purchases where you think you know what you're getting - only to receive the package to find everything about it is really 1000x better than you hoped it was. I threw some DR Black Beauties on it and it looks even more badass.

Last edited by ORCRiST at Aug 26, 2011,
Quote by Tom 1.0

Its better than coming across as a pushy know it all.

didnt mean to come off as that
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
I know, but I was just saying thats what Dave does

he's a pushy git but I didnt tell you

joke

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
ahh the beauty in clarity. anywayy

OP what did u decide btw? seems we've strayed from what is important :P one more thing to note about the red one with the HSH configuration......if your not used to the middle pickup it may alter your decision ( i actually had the choice of the same jacksons and a couple more with different colors my buddy was selling to me). i found i was hitting the pickup a lot but i did love the sound of it for cleans. the n ifound the neck pup of the dk2m had a certain single-coil like quality to it (clean that is).

anyway, middle pup might be a turn off for u, might not
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by Tom 1.0
I know, but I was just saying thats what Dave does

he's a pushy git but I didnt tell you

joke

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The only real difference between the 2 guitars in the original post is HH vs HSS and the fretboard wood. The DKMG mentioned is pretty much going to be the same as the DK2M except it will have active EMG 81/85 pickups.

I have a DK2 and it plays great. The middle pickup really doesn't get in the way because the magnets are so strong in those single coils that you have set them up pretty low due to the pull they exert on the strings. I recently installed an EMG afterburner in it to increase the output from the singles. They have great tone and really sparkle when playing clean - but I needed more output from the singles when playing dirty cuz I like to use the neck pup for leads sometimes. The bridge humbucker is plenty hot on its own. You can also get that strat quack from the notch postions. It's a very versatile guitar.

The license FR on a Jackson is one of the best, IMO. I also have JS30DK with that same trem and it performs great on both my Jacksons. But if you do decide you want swap it out for an OFR, it is a direct swap with no modification necessary.
Last edited by rebar71 at Aug 27, 2011,