I'm looking to make a good practice routine. I have a about 2-5 hours a day at the most for practice. Now the problem besides that is is what should I practice or technique's to practice? I like to play metal/metalcore but I also love stuff like Joe Satriani an softer rock/metal like Skid Row, Poison, Whitesnake, Loverboy etc.

I only know one chord and a few scale's an such so theroy I know is a must. If someone could help me out with this it would be gladly appreciated because I really want my playing to evolve.
This is what I do:

10 min - warm-up
10 min - scales and chords
20 min - licks in the style of players I like
20 min - learn songs; focus on 2 or 3 riffs a day
10 min - ear training
20 min - theory

This is only an hour and a half schedule so you can double or even triple the times depending on how long you want to practice, because 5 hours might be a bit hard on your hands. http://www.musictheory.net/ is a good website with ear training exercises and theory exercises. http://www.studybass.com/ is good for scales. http://www.justinguitar.com/ has all sorts of helpful lessons, but they might not fit into your schedule, but I would highly recommend trying one of his courses, they are free so why not. Hope this helps, Adam
Quote by asmithgdci
This is what I do:

10 min - warm-up
10 min - scales and chords
20 min - licks in the style of players I like
20 min - learn songs; focus on 2 or 3 riffs a day
10 min - ear training
20 min - theory

I have a related question...what are good exercises/etc for warming up?
Don't do a "routine". Work on things that are giving you trouble. Write songs, theory etc. With A schedule you will not progress fast at all. At least I never did until I started just "playing" the guitar.
Michael Kelly Patriot limited
Michael Kelly Vex nv
PRS CE24

Tube Screamer
Zakk wylde od
Boosta Grande
Crybaby

Valve Jr
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Jr NOS
2x12 cab GBack

Bugera V22
Carvin Legacy

Vintage Rogers Drumset
Pearl ELX
Touch upon all the techniques you can lightly. then dig in to detail after your hands are warmed up and limber.
Quote by FlyingPirahna

I do lots of 3 note per string stuff with hammer-ons, like 0,1,2 going down the strings then back up with 2,1,0 using pull-offs, then 0,2,3 and 0,3,4, then I do 0,1,4 and 0,1,3

and 'no shift patterns' where you play scales without moving the position of your hand on the fretboard.

Here is the first position for the C major scale:

E 0 1 3
B 0 1 3
G 0 2
D 0 2 3
A 0 2 3
E 0 1 3

Then I do lots of chromatic stuff, and some shred exercises that have found here on UG in the lessons section, there's some really good stuff in there.

Then I do Paul Gilbert's "Intense Rock", it's like a bunch of tongue twisters for you hands. You might be able to find the notation or tabs for Intense Rock online.
Quote by FlyingPirahna

this is what i do:

e|--------------------------------6789-----------------------------------------------------------------|
B|-------------------------5678-------78910---------------------------------------------------------|
G|-------------------4567---------------------891011-----------------------------------------------|
D|-------------3456------------------------------------9101112------------------------------------|
A|-------2345-----------------------------------------------------10111213------------------------|
E|-1234----------------------------------------------------------------------11121314-------------|

Then I reverse it

Then:

e|---------------------------------9876----------------------------------------------------------------|
B|--------------------------8765-------10987--------------------------------------------------------|
G|--------------------7654---------------------111098----------------------------------------------|
D|--------------6543------------------------------------1211109-----------------------------------|
A|--------5432------------------------------------------------------13121110----------------------|
E|--4321--------------------------------------------------------------------------14131211--------|

Then reversed

by the way, most of them are 10's and 11's and whatever, not 7,8,9,1,0 lol its 7,8,9,10 i just couldnt space them
I hate when people compare John Frusciante to God. He's
good and all.............but he's no Frusciante.
Man, screw all the exercises. Just go full-bore and learn shit. Don't even question it. You like EVH? Rhoads? SRV? Malmsteen? Eric Johnson? BB King? Learn their licks straight on. Just whoever. Learn one of their solos. Any of them, and then try to learn the musicality behind it. Then you'll develop your own style. I listen to some choral music for inspiration sometimes too. Look for inspiration everywhere. It will happen if all you do is play. If you have to ask what to play, then you're probably not meant to play guitar. I KNEW what I was going to learn and play and somehow I got there. I don't even remember how I got as good as I am. I learned to pick as fast as Malmsteen 3 months ago. That should tell you something. It takes dedication to play whatever you want. But you CAN play whatever you want.
"To this day I don't have a guitar idol. I have people who are my favorites." - Randy Rhoads
I learned basic Linkin Park stuff first, and then I moved onto the main riff in Back in Black and then I learned all of Crazy Train FULL BORE. It takes dedication. JUST GO STRAIGHT TOWARDS YOUR GOAL. You can do it.
"To this day I don't have a guitar idol. I have people who are my favorites." - Randy Rhoads
Definitely learn to be able to economy pick licks that ascend, unless you play a lick that plays more than 3 notes per string. In this case, economy pick to go to the next string and then alternate pick on that string until you need to go to the next one, then economy pick. For descending always alternate pick. You could economy pick while descending, but if there are more than three notes per string your picking motion will get very confusing. You might be able to pull it off, but the note you slide to will become lost amongst the notes at high speeds and will throw your rhythm off big time.

Try these licks for some practice:

e--15-14-12-11-----------------------------------------------------------------
B-------------------13-12-10----------------------------------------------------
G--------------------------------12-11-9-8--------------------------------------
D----------------------------------------------10-9-7----------------------------
A-------------------------------------------------------10-9-7-6-----------------
E--------------------------------------------------------------------8-7-5-3-2-0-

When you're on the low E string and you're on the 5th fret use your index finger for the last two notes, then the open E string.

e---------------------------------------------------------------------------------13-15-17-15-17-19
B-----------------------------------------------------------12-13-15-13-15-17---------------------
G-------------------------------------9-10-12-10-12-14--------------------------------------------
D-------------------7-9-10-9-10-12----------------------------------------------------------------
A------5-7-8-7-8-10-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E--5-7-8-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had to put some of the numbers over the others, so this lick looks a little messed up, but it's a great lick for improving your picking. There's a trick to it. Never slide during this lick. Always move your hand to the next economical position. And your picking should be economy on the low E string to get to the A string, and then from there it's all alternate picking. If you don't economy pick to get to the A string your picking will be backwards. You'll be going to the next string on an unstroke. With strict alternate picking this may seem to be natural, but it's a whole lot easier to pick the way I said. It will feel a little bit awkward at first, but after a few days you'll see how easy and natural picking can feel.

The first lick is a classic harmonic minor "Yngwie" lick in the key of E minor. The second is an ascending A natural minor lick.

If you play a descending lick that uses only three notes per string, THEN you can economy pick (and you should). This will make your playing very clean if you choose to pick most of your notes.

I didn't learn much from the 4 or 5 lessons I had in the past. What I think you should do is learn the pentatonic scale if you don't know it already and then play them each note in order. Don't worry about speed. Once you have them down start making lines out of it. Make a group of triplets out of it or listen to some blues, but don't copy their blues licks. Just hear it and then try to play it. If it's not exact, that's alright. Then learn this shape and do the same thing.

e------------------------------------------7-8-10----
B---------------------------------7-8-10-------------
G----------------------------7-9---------------------
D-------------------7-9-10---------------------------
A----------7-9-10------------------------------------
E-7-8-10---------------------------------------------

This can be played over both E minor and G major. The 7 on the A string is the lowest root note in the shape for E minor. The 10 on the A string is the lowest root note in the key of G major. Pentatonic and this scale shape will improve your improv a lot. Then you'll eventually see the patterns within the shape, such as the sweep pattern in it on the bottom strings (highest sounding ones).

The 7 on the low E string, the 9 on the A string, and the 9 on the D string will get you some nice exotic sounding tension tones. These notes make up a B power chord. So landing on those notes will make the line you're playing sound sort of Spanish. Like the A minor chord to E major chord sort of sound.
Well I have been thinking for a while that yes I can learn song's but that's it. Like if I try an make something up on my own I just end up playing what I learned from a song so that's why I want a routine so im not just playing the same thing.
Quote by Austin174
Well I have been thinking for a while that yes I can learn song's but that's it. Like if I try an make something up on my own I just end up playing what I learned from a song so that's why I want a routine so im not just playing the same thing.

You don't learn improvisation by running up and down scales, you learn by actually doing it.
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

"When you look into the eyes of a man grown old,
wonder about the secrets gone untold.

When you look into the eyes of a young child,
marvel at the innocence running wild."