I am a stranger in a strange land here.

I am a guitar player looking to buy a bass because I like doing covers and im tired of programming bass parts for the songs I want to do. Im definitely looking in the used market for something that will fulfill the void in my recordings. I am looking for functionality, dont care about the brand. 5 strings is a plus but i can see where that may spike up past my budget. I want to keep it in the 300-500 range.

Thanks.
Quote by Chaosinborn
I am a stranger in a strange land here.

I am a guitar player looking to buy a bass because I like doing covers and im tired of programming bass parts for the songs I want to do. Im definitely looking in the used market for something that will fulfill the void in my recordings. I am looking for functionality, dont care about the brand. 5 strings is a plus but i can see where that may spike up past my budget. I want to keep it in the 300-500 range.

Thanks.

What type of music do you play?

300-500 what? what currency?

regardless of the answer's a used 5 string P bass will probably serve you fine

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
You shouldn't tweak a guitar to sound like a bass, because that will make you play it like a guitar. If you're going to record a bass, you should use a bass, and play it like a bass.
Quote by TextOnTheScreen
You shouldn't tweak a guitar to sound like a bass, because that will make you play it like a guitar. If you're going to record a bass, you should use a bass, and play it like a bass.

I believe he wants to record bass, not play bass, therefore

Quote by Zeletros

I should your first post, if you're going to do it to others who aren't as wrong as you.

If you could just 'tweak' a guitar to sound like a bass, then why would anyone have a bass?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
I should your first post, if you're going to do it to others who aren't as wrong as you.

If you could just 'tweak' a guitar to sound like a bass, then why would anyone have a bass?

Because playing bass is different from playing guitar, if you can't use EQ properly to make a guitar sound like bass, then you just don't know how to, simply.
Quote by Zeletros
Because playing bass is different from playing guitar, if you can't use EQ properly to make a guitar sound like bass, then you just don't know how to, simply.

...good luck with that.

OT: Squier VM Jazz V
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by Zeletros

you really have no idea do you.... you can't use eq to pitch shift a guitar an octave lower

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Quote by Zeletros

Yeah, it's not like the different scale length and string gauges add harmonic content that doesn't exist in guitar and can't be simulated by just using an octave pedal and eq...

Wait...

Seriously though, you can do a bass part with a guitar, but it will not sound like a bass guitar. The timbre is pretty different between the two instruments; it's not just an issue of range.
A Squier VM P bass is supper quiet.

If you put flats on it, it should wonderful for recording.

Bass and strings will set you back $340.

Tabdog
Any bass that would be good to look for in the used market? Id prefer buying something used to get something a bit better.
Quote by Zeletros
If it's just for recording, you could just tweak your guitar to sound like bass.

....What?

Quote by Zeletros

...What?

Quote by Zeletros

Yeah, I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about.
You could just play guitar an octave down, but it might sound like shit. Try it out, and if it works for you then you've just saved yourself $300 odd

If not, used Yamaha, Ibanez style thing.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Hell, if you're just messing around with it, you can get an off brand starter bass for about $100.
yea I know I could just get a cheapo starter bass but I dont want to have to deal with crappy intonation, shitty frets, etc. I am looking for some models to look out for on ebay/craigslist. I want something that will give a growly bass tone rather than a round bass tone.
Im a guitar player and was in the same situation ( have a fretless bass, but wanted a fretted one).

I picked up a Squier "Classic vibe" Jazz bass. Threw light strings on it. Feels good and sturdy. cost me a little under 400 bucks. (taxes included)

Im playing through an SWR Workingman 12.
Before I learned to play bass, I would take my guitar and boost the bass on my amp heads all the way up to 11 and pulled the treble all the way down, then used my EQ pedal to boost the low end. It gives a pretty good sound.

But if you have the money to buy a bass, I'd suggest a Fender Standard Jazz Bass. You can get a brand new one for $500, and if you're using it to record, you can use your recording gear instead of buying a new amp as well.

Best of luck to you
John
Quote by shinhoman
you really have no idea do you.... you can't use eq to pitch shift a guitar an octave lower

x

Hey listen to Seven Nation Army by The White Stripes. He uses an acoustic guitar through an octave pedal, and I couldn't tell the difference for a long time until I saw them live.
Quote by tonello
Hey listen to Seven Nation Army by The White Stripes. He uses an acoustic guitar through an octave pedal, and I couldn't tell the difference for a long time until I saw them live.

There's nothing wrong with that sound, but it doesn't sound like a bass and it doesn't sit in the mix the same way a bass guitar does (but then again neither does an organ, tuba, or a dozen other instruments that can fill that role), so it's not ideal if you want to make music that sounds like the usual pop or rock ensemble.

Non-musicians might not be able to tell the difference hearing the instrument on its own, but they'll be aware that "something is different" when they hear it in the usual mix.
Quote by tonello

If the TS can do it and can get a good enough sound... then by all means he should do it. I just don't think he will.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134