Hey all..I need a cheap way to store all the music on my computer.

I'm worried that if my computer will break down, or the hard drive goes, I will lose all the music I have (including personal recordings and stuff..).

Problem is, external HD are a hell a load expensive, so I was wondering if the Pit knew any cheap alternatives?

About 30gb by the way..

Thanks in advance!
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
They're really not that expensive. Some are 30-40 bucks.

You could also burn an image of your collection across multiple CD's and DVD's but it's a pain to maintain.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by SkepsisMetal

Wow..I asked for one in the shop and he said they only come in 250 gb format for about 150 euro..

I always get screwed, yet always trust them..

Quote by LazyLatinoRocke

For the moment I'm finding it hard..because I'm studying, without a chance to work, and I don't receive pocket money
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Last edited by Krieger91 at Aug 26, 2011,
That's why I always buy CDs.

I know too many people who've lost some or all of their music because it was all on their computer.

eBay is the best place to buy external hard drives though - keep watching out for them and sooner or later you'll find someone selling them off cheap.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Krieger91
Wow..I asked for one in the shop and he said they only come in 250 gb format for about 150 euro..

I always get screwed, yet always trust them..

Are you kidding me?

For $150 I could get a 7200RPM eSATA/FireWire/USB3.0 drive with 2-4TB of space.

Burn that shop down.

Quote by GaryBillington
That's why I always buy CDs.

I know too many people who've lost some or all of their music because it was all on their computer.

eBay is the best place to buy external hard drives though - keep watching out for them and sooner or later you'll find someone selling them off cheap.

Really, most people, professionals or not, should be backing up their systems to externals.

I wouldn't use eBay because you don't know what the quality of the drives are. Better to get it guaranteed from somewhere like NewEgg or Tiger Direct, where you can be refunded or backed with warranty if it dies.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Aug 26, 2011,
HDD aren't expensive as people have stated. Don't go to stores because they're always going to rip you off. Go to ebay and get a cheap one. I've got a nice metallic pink one and it does the job. It costs me around £30 and it has around 160GB on it.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Aug 26, 2011,
Quote by Xiaoxi
Are you kidding me?

For $150 I could get a 7200RPM eSATA/FireWire/USB3.0 drive with 2-4TB of space.

Burn that shop down.

Really, most people, professionals or not, should be backing up their systems to externals.

I wouldn't use eBay because you don't know what the quality of the drives are. Better to get it guaranteed from somewhere like NewEgg or Tiger Direct, where you can be refunded or backed with warranty if it dies.

I was talking euro, but I see your point..

What's going on here is that the next place to buy stuff is one hour and a half away, no one bothers going there, the shopkeepers know. So they don't bother to lower their prices, and no shop bothers to rival them.

Also online shopping barely exists here.

No matter, thanks guys.
I've found a decent 500 gb one for 45€ on amazon.
Considering I got a 1TB external HD 3 years ago for around £100 I can't see how anyone could fail to find one big enough to store their entire music collection, and the rest of their files/software, on for much more than £50 these days, and that's assuming the person had a much bigger music collection than me.

In fact, the HD I bought 3 years ago still had about 75% of the space on it, if not more, left before it broke (not a problem on manufacturers fault - I stupidly used it like a portable drive for a while between studio and home, and at some point it took a fatal knock ) Surely a cheap 250Gb would suffice TS?
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Aug 26, 2011,
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Considering I got a 1TB external HD 3 years ago for around £100 I can't see how anyone could fail to find one big enough to store their entire music collection on for much more than £50 these days, and that's assuming the person had a much bigger music collection than me.

In fact, the HD I bought 3 years ago still had about 75% of the space on it, if not more, left before it broke (not a problem on manufacturers fault - I stupidly used it like a portable drive for a while between studio and home, and at some point it took a fatal knock ) Surely a cheap 250Gb would suffice TS?

Yeah exactly.

I wrote this thread in complete ignorance of how cheap they actually are

Sorry and thanks!
Quote by WantsLesPaul
Maybe he was talking about Solid-state drives? I don't know how much those cost though.

150 for a 256GB SSD would be a goddamn bargain of the year, but I don't think that's what they were referring to.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Krieger91
Also online shopping barely exists here.

That's too bad, there is some great online shopping where I live.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
That's too bad, there is some great online shopping where I live.

Ok, I mean that hardly anyone partakes in it, they uses shops..who receive no competition and no incentive to lower their prices.
have you tried a dinlo? they're incredibly versatile and have ALOT of memory.
OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM