Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of learning notes of the diatonic chords of the major scale and I was wondering if there is a trick to remembering them just like there is to remembering the order of sharps and flats in the circle of fifths major scales.

the order of sharps goes like this: Fat Cats Go Down Alleys Eating Birds (FCGDAEB)

the order of flats is the above going backwards

BEAD Great Chicago Fire (or whatever you want gcf to spell) so BEADGCF

I would memorize how many sharps or flats are in each key signature (for example: B major has 5 sharps) and if you need to find out which sharps they are, you can use the trick.
I use the numerical formula (the 1-3-5 that supersac mentioned) and the C major scale to help remember the notes in a chord. Let's say I'm looking for an E major chord. My train of thought would be something like this:

The major chord formula is 1-3-5

E minor is in the key of C, with the notes E G B

The minor chord formula is 1-b3-5

To get the E minor chord to an E major chord, make the 1-b3-5 a 1-3-5 by sharpening the third

The G in E minor becomes a G#

The notes in an E major chord are E G# B

It might seem a little convoluted, but it at least works for me. Of course, there will come a point where you just memorize the notes and can recall them with relative ease. Hopefully something I've said will help you out!
If you know the notes of the scale and how to construct chords, then you've already got the information. It just takes repetition of creating it anew day in and day out. Write out the major and minor scale for all keys every day (or every two-three days, depending on your schedule/practice time.) Then fill in the chords for each. Sooner or later, you'll pull out the information without even thinking.

My Latin teacher always said 'repetitio est mater studiorum,' which means 'repetition is the mother of learning.'
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Look at the lines and spaces of the grand staff:

Bass clef lines = G B D F A (Great big dogs fight animals)
Bass clef spaces - A CE G (all cows eat grass)
Middle C between bass and treble clefs
Treble clef lines = E G B D F (Every good boy does fine)
Treble clef spaces = F A C E (which happens to be an FMaj7 chord)

pick a note, any note -- the notes 1 -3 - 5 (as mentioned) will spell out the major minor or diminished triad. If you know your key signatures, you are good to go:

C E G = C Maj, G B D = G Maj, D F# A = Dmaj, A C# E = Amaj, E G# B = EMaj, B D# F# = BMaj, etc

F A C = Fmaj, Bb D F = BMaj, Eb G Bb = EbMaj, Ab C Eb = AbMaj and so on

If you learn how to harmonize the major scale through all keys this should all be very simple.
Thanks guys for you help, its nice to see I got alot of help very quickly.

If you can ever get your hands on a piano or keyboard and practice arpeggios, it won't be long until you can name the notes without thinking.
Quote by Jesse Clarkson
If you can ever get your hands on a piano or keyboard and practice arpeggios, it won't be long until you can name the notes without thinking.

I have a pretty decent keyboard in my room I think I will take you up on your advice
Quote by soviet_ska
If you know the notes of the scale and how to construct chords, then you've already got the information. It just takes repetition of creating it anew day in and day out. Write out the major and minor scale for all keys every day (or every two-three days, depending on your schedule/practice time.) Then fill in the chords for each. Sooner or later, you'll pull out the information without even thinking.

My Latin teacher always said 'repetitio est mater studiorum,' which means 'repetition is the mother of learning.'

This, remember when you started learning multiplication? You either had to memorize that huge table, or just do it again everytime. Eventually you just know what some are- 6x6 is 36, 3x8 is 24, ect, you use them so much you KNOW them. Well, for chords there's waaaaaayyy to many to just remember, eventually you will know a lot, practice making them enough and it will be much easier.
What do you guys listen to when playing video games?
Quote by DemonicSamurai

Quote by T3hdude

Men fapping.

Sorry, didn't realize I was that loud.

I'll be leaving your closet now.