hey guys

I've recently started to learn about modes for school theory and improvisation on guitar. I kinda understand it however the sheets my guitar teacher gave to me explains it using the C major scale but I know mostly G major scales all up the fretboard. So I was wondering if you guys could explain some stuff to me in G major as I cant be bothered learning C major scales and that kinda defeats the propose of learning modes. I know if I play a a G major scale over an E minor I get an Aeolian sound not much more . One last thing I was messing around trying to get different mode sounds and I moved the scale down two frets and got a kinda Jim Root slipknot vibe what mode/scale was that.

Any help at all would be much appreciated
Calum
Learn C major.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Yes you do. Scales are the base of music, not modes.

Lets compare.

C major scale = C D E F G A B.

A aeolian (a mode of the C major scale) = A B C D E F G

A mode needs a parent scale. The scales tell you what notes are in the mode. Now lets look at that example but in G major

G Major scale = G A B C D E F#

E aeolian = E F# G A B C D

Quote by liampje
You should also look up Tom Colohue's lessons on modes. They're probably the best lesson on modes on this site.
I'm surprised anyone's shown you patience. I don't even know where you began to...what...I...just....

This is possibly the worst understanding of music I've seen here, and...well, that's saying a lot.
modes are a social construct
My first piece of real advice would be to learn your scales and chord construction theory, then learn how to apply that to keys. Along the way i suggest looking at cadences and functional harmony.
I wouldn't look at modes if I were you. I'd look at titties.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by cip 123
So I was wondering if you guys could explain some stuff to me in G major as I cant be bothered learning C major scales and that kinda defeats the propose of learning modes.
That's a pretty big misunderstanding, the purpose of modes is definitely not to avoid learning major scales.
Quote by marc137
That's a pretty big misunderstanding, the purpose of modes is definitely not to avoid learning major scales.

But using modes means you're more advanced. Once you get advanced, you don't need to be bothered with easy stuff like the Major scale. That's for beginners.
shred is gaudy music
OP, you need to tell your teacher to review the basics. You don't know them, and thats obvious.

Quote by liampje
everyone's covered something i have to say, so the only productive thing i have to add is this:

fire your instructor.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
If you learn modes you don't need scales? Lol. I'm not great at music theory, but wow!!!!
Michael Kelly Patriot limited
Michael Kelly Vex nv
PRS CE24

Tube Screamer
Zakk wylde od
Boosta Grande
Crybaby

Valve Jr
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Jr NOS
2x12 cab GBack

Bugera V22
Carvin Legacy

Vintage Rogers Drumset
Pearl ELX
I took the C major scale and then started the mode on a different note within the scale. I think we tend to make things harder than they are. As long as you know to take a major scale and start the scale/mode on a different note in the scale and make it the tonal center, you really don't even need to know the names of all the modes. The names are just descriptors.