I'm wanting to put a light top/heavy bottom set of strings on my guitar. I like the stiffness of the bottom strings for tight rhythms, but I can solo better on the lighter gauge top strings. My guitar is set up with .10s... Will it need a completely new setup? Or only minor adjustments? Floyd rose, btw.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
minor adjustments really if i'm not mistaken
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Have it setup to be safe I'd say. It may not be necessary but it won't hurt the guitar, but not doing so and needing a new set up could hurt the guitar.
I think the skinny top heavey bottoms are .10-.54, which is what I use on my LP in Eb Standard/Drop C#. I use regular .10s on my tele for standard tuning. the .10-.54s are amazing if you're into guns n' roses and stuff similar.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1c-7-VMY_w since you have a floyd you'll need to adjust the spring tension but no need to pay someone else to do it, just follow that video and you'll be fine
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Thanks for the vids, but I know how to do a floyd setup guys. haha But my question has been answered.
ESP/LTD F-50
1989 Kramer Showster
Rogue RADH Acoustic
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
1. Tighten the springs
2. Tighten the truss rod (very slightly)
3. ???
4. Profit!

Seriously, there is no reason to take it in to get set up if you already know how to do all of that stuff
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
The chances are great the only adjustment needed will be the trem springs.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
I'd get it set up. When I bought my SG, I replaced the stock strings with 12-54's, and ended up snapping off the edge of my nut. The bridge should be OK, but have someone open up the nut a little bit so you don't end up spending $60 more. OR buy a set of nut file so that when you buy your next guitar, you don't have to pay for someone to do it. I heven't found a good set yet, but I'm gonna keep looking. I'll let you know when I get some.
Quote by simpleben09
1. Tighten the springs
2. Tighten the truss rod (very slightly)
3. ???
4. Profit!

Seriously, there is no reason to take it in to get set up if you already know how to do all of that stuff

You should never just go around telling someone to tighten their truss rod without knowing what issue they're having with their guitar.

Honestly... some people.

You should never just go around telling someone to tighten their truss rod without knowing what issue they're having with their guitar.

Honestly... some people.

When you have tighter strings, it's generally a good idea to tighten the truss rod, to avoid future problems, but whatever
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
My Jackson has a Floyd Rose and I use Ernie Ball 10-52 Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms. At most you will need to adjust the springs in the back of your guitar, that takes about 10 minutes, enough mechanical prowess to turn a screwdriver, and isn't worth paying a tech $40.

Some very uninformed people are posting here. You won't break a nut, this is possible on a cheap Epi plastic nut, maybe even a bone nut. But the nut on your FR is a locking nut, made out of metal. It won't break.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Aug 28, 2011,
you will definitively have to increase the spring-tension, because you use thicker bass-stings. but thats all, this is not a huge issue, no need to take it to your guitar shop or so if you have some patience... well perhaps you need minor truss-adjustments if the neck bends because of the increased string but this is not necessary the difference between a usual .10 set and the heavybottom is not that huge (ive switched from usual to heavybottom with a floyd-rose guitar, it was not that huge issue if you understand the basics of setting it up)