Poll: How much do you guys practice Sight Reading?
Poll Options
View poll results: How much do you guys practice Sight Reading?
I dont know what Sightreading is...
13 11%
Never
41 35%
Rarely (once a month or less)
25 21%
a few times per week
17 15%
5-20 minutes per day
6 5%
over 20 minutes but less than an hour per day
8 7%
1 hour per day
4 3%
more than an hour per day
0 0%
more than 2 hours per day
0 0%
more than 3 hours per day
3 3%
Voters: 117.
So how much do you sightread?

Yeah this COULD go in musicians talk but i figure, were all musicians here, so this applies to everybody and its not really a question of how or anything like that its a survey.

on a totally unrelated note (lolz), what do you think of identity theft?

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
On guitar? Never. I find standard notation very impractical.

Oh, and return British_Steal's avatar right now!
Check out my band Disturbed
Eh, I did it in Jazz Band, and every once in awhile I'll pull out The Real Book and play a few tunes from there, but other than that, I don't see a need for guitar players to sight read...
Used to when I played clarinet, and try to when I play my ocarina but i don't bother with my guitar stuff
WARUM TUT ES WEH, WENN ICH PINKLE?!
Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."

Quote by Axelfox
Disregard that,i suck cocks.
I can't sight read very well at all on guitar. I've never really put a whole lot of effort into that.

My viola teacher focused on it big time though, so I'm decently proficient on the viola.
I sight read tabs and pieces of paper with bars marked out and then letters with voices next to them. I can read standard notation, and then translate that into aforementioned pieces of paper. The decoding process would only slow me down otherwise.
I only do it on piano and the it nearly always goes a slower speed than it should be. Only just started doing it though. Never do it on guitar.
I can sight read tabs blindingly quickly now, but as for real notation, Piano only =[
Check out my Tumblr
Quote by Victory2134
The world seemed like a better place when I didn't know what racism, genocide, and the internet was.
change your shit back, xiaoxi

your sig is the only reason i live
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
I want to try to sight read more often, but i have no dedicated sight reading books, so every now and again, i read old issues of Total Guitar and refrain from looking at the tab, so probably every couple of weeks. If i had a dedicated guitar sight reading book, i would probably look at it quite a lot as i am on a break from uni and don't have a job.

I have practiced sight reading on piano, but because i don't have very good piano technique, i don't usually get very far.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Can't sight read on guitar, I change tuning every couple of months and it's not worth the bother of relearning finger positions etc. every time I change.

Piano though, I can sightread fairly well, haven't practiced much recently but it was obligatory for grade exams which I spent quite a few years working for.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Quote by laid-to-waste
change your shit back, xiaoxi

your sig is the only reason i live

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I did in high school but not anymore.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I don't sightread on guitar, but on other instruments I used to do all the time. Guitar is too much work to sightread on.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
why the hell are you guys still giving serious answers...

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I can just about sight read piano sheets. I haven't for about a year though, so I'd be rusty. And bass clefs always throw me off when I haven't spent a good few days just solidly going over them.
Quote by StewieSwan
On guitar? Never. I find standard notation very impractical.

this.

sometimes i do on keyboard though. usually not, since i spend most of my time on keyboards either practicing scales and arpeggios or else just improvising weird ambient musical odysseys.

i don't care too much about sight reading though because i'm not planning on any sort of musical career that would require it.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Aug 27, 2011,
I'm a pretty good sight reader for a guitar player but I do have to do it every day.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
I practice once in a while, but I'm gonna be doing it a lot more now that I be a music major.

Also I've been sight reading drum parts for about 7 years so I'm not too shabby at that.
BRIAN. SCHNEIDER.
I sight read quite well on sax and clarinet, and a bit on oboe. I can sight read on guitar if it's a combination of tab and standard notation (eg, GP5). I know the notes on the fretboard, but standard notation doesn't accurately depict what should be played unless you know what string/fret to play the note. For example, the open G string has a much different timbre than the G on the 5th fret of the D string, but they're the same when written in standard notation.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
What the ****...
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
I used to sightread pretty much daily, but I haven't done much recently.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
I think it's kinda silly that the same people who criticize guitarists who can't sight read might also criticize guitarists who only cover other artists.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
why the shit are people still replying to this

you all fail. hard. good day, sirs.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi

because we love you and your ability to add a second line to a post in under a minute to avoid it saying that you edited your post.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Xiaoxi

you mind fucked them so hard they failed to realize the degree of which their mind had been fucked

like, their mind was too fucked to realize just how much it had been fucked by you

nice mind fuc
king, man

nice
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
More than 3 hours a day. Music college ftw!
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!
Last edited by GuitarViking at Aug 27, 2011,
buncha dicks!

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Nowadays, rarely. When I played classical guitar more professionally, quite a bit.