Hey. So, I've now got two Peavey 5150s in my rig and I can handle all the modern metal tones with ease. So, I'm looking to add a little more because, as we all know, more gear is always the answer. So, here's what I'm looking at, and bear with me because these amps are quite different -- to my knowledge at the least. I'm deciding between a Carvin V3 head, and a set of Peavey Windsor heads. I like the V3 because it seems very versatile with all of its knobs and such, but I've heard that it lacks that tightness. I am attracted to the Windsor heads because they are modeled after the JCM 800, but worry that they could lack versatility.

You see, I am in a Nu-Metal/Groove metal band AND a technical death/thrash band. I got the 5150s for that aggressive mid-range bite, but what if I were to add a V3 that would be played simultaneously along side the 5150s? Or what if I were to add a Windsor to get that Marshall tone to blend with the modern 5150 tone? I guess that I am just confused. I want to get the most out of my money and I'm deciding between a Carvin V3 and a set of Peavey Windsor heads. If you have any experience with the amps, share! Which would give me enough versatility to work with, but blend nice with the 5150s? Or which would give me the most out of my money?

I can NOT try them out as I live in a small town that carries very little musical equipment. Thank you!
Jackson RR24
Marshall JCM800 2203

\m/
JSX is always the answer.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Stick away from the Windsor model, it does lack versitility, and is considered a low model. Some like it, I don't. My Valve King gets the best of both worlds, but I would stick to the 5150 if your likings is metal and such and go for the V3 for more versitility over the windsor.
Quote by Offworld92
JSX is always the answer.

I'll look into it, bro.
Jackson RR24
Marshall JCM800 2203

\m/
Quote by Cross Pain
I used to have a ValveKing. Didn't care for it.

Yeah, besides the limited things you could do with it, the lead channel was the best. For the clean a chorus pedal, and delay was a must.
I'd go for the V3. Not only is it tonally better but it's a bit more unique than another generic Peavey.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
I'd go for the V3. Not only is it tonally better but it's a bit more unique than another generic Peavey.

I'd have to say I agree with this even though I have not played any Carvins

I actually quite like the Windsor head - but maybe not for Technical Death Metal WTF that is The Windsor would probably be a little too loose for Technical metal.

I won't bother with the used amp discussion because I already know you are looking at the used market. I'd get settle in on an amp or two and then hit up the gear sale/trade threads at rig-talk.com, harmony-central, UG, etc
I've owned the windsor, 5150, and now the V3. The V3 is very versatile, but i highly recommend you change the tubes to 6L6s and bias the amp a little hotter. These things come entirely too cold from carvin. Its a pretty easy job. The windsor is decent for what it is, but the V3 has been the most enjoyable out of the three heads that i have owned.
Quote by SchecterDean
Yeah, besides the limited things you could do with it, the lead channel was the best. For the clean a chorus pedal, and delay was a must.

Very true.
Jackson RR24
Marshall JCM800 2203

\m/
Quote by shadow__666

I'm kind of getting a vibe that you don't like Peavey products. Is this accurate in any way? haha
Jackson RR24
Marshall JCM800 2203

\m/
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I'd have to say I agree with this even though I have not played any Carvins

I actually quite like the Windsor head - but maybe not for Technical Death Metal WTF that is The Windsor would probably be a little too loose for Technical metal.

I won't bother with the used amp discussion because I already know you are looking at the used market. I'd get settle in on an amp or two and then hit up the gear sale/trade threads at rig-talk.com, harmony-central, UG, etc

Yessir. I like to go used. You don't know what tech death is? Necrophagist, Obscura, The Faceless . . . I think Muhammad from Necrophagist uses a Marshall, although I'm not 100% sure. But he probably boosts it. But so far, it seems as the the V3 gets the majority at the moment.

EDIT: Nope, Muhammad uses ENGL. My bad.
Jackson RR24
Marshall JCM800 2203

\m/
Last edited by Cross Pain at Aug 27, 2011,
Quote by Seanthesheep
maybe sell one of the 5150s and try a 6534+?

I would, but mom said no more trading/selling haha Gotta love the parents.
Jackson RR24
Marshall JCM800 2203

\m/
Quote by a_hub10
I've owned the windsor, 5150, and now the V3. The V3 is very versatile, but i highly recommend you change the tubes to 6L6s and bias the amp a little hotter. These things come entirely too cold from carvin. Its a pretty easy job. The windsor is decent for what it is, but the V3 has been the most enjoyable out of the three heads that i have owned.

Really? It's nice that you have experience with all three. Explain to me on how you bias the amp a little hotter? Would I just take it into a shop? Also, what kind of music do you primarily play?
Jackson RR24
Marshall JCM800 2203

\m/
Quote by Cross Pain

I like the V3 because it seems very versatile with all of its knobs and such, but I've heard that it lacks that tightness.

Whoever told you that, has no idea about how to set one up! There are several adjustments that can make them VERY tight, or somewhat loose.
I have played on 5150s, owned a 6262, my lead guitarist has a 6534+ (leaves it at my house for practice) and I have a V3 now.

I can tell you that the 6534+ and the V3 sound AWESOME together!!!
The V3 can pretty much nail the same kind of tones as the 6534+, the 6262, or a 5150. But it can also do a LOT more! Each channel has a 3 way voicing switch. And while these are not "clones" of other amps, they are quite similar to several popular amps. You can make it sound VERY Marshally, Quite Mesa-Boogie-esque, and as mentioned quite 5150ish.

Try out the V3..... you may be pleasantly surprised! In the year before finding my V3, I went through (bought and brought home...not just played at the store) 9 heads (Peavy, Genz-Benz, Randall, Bugera, Marshal etc) Since getting the V3, I have NO desire to find a new amp. I have ZERO amp envy for anything else (including the 6534+ sitting in my living room).

Quote by Cross Pain
Really? It's nice that you have experience with all three. Explain to me on how you bias the amp a little hotter? Would I just take it into a shop? Also, what kind of music do you primarily play?

A number of ways to read the Bias on a V3. The "carvin method is to read the voltage at the standby switch (giving you a total for all power tubes...stock it 100...25 per tube)

I MUCH prefer to use a bias probe.

There is a bias pot on the underside of the amp (have to pull it out of the chassis)
Turn this pot until you get the bias where you want it. Surprisingly, I like mine a little cold...around 32-34mv with 6L6GC tubes...it's safe to go to 40-42mv. With other amps with similar plate voltage, I usually like em around 37-38.

Go to eurotubes.com for more info (and vids on biasing)
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Quote by Vinson
Whoever told you that, has no idea about how to set one up! There are several adjustments that can make them VERY tight, or somewhat loose.
I have played on 5150s, owned a 6262, my lead guitarist has a 6534+ (leaves it at my house for practice) and I have a V3 now.

I can tell you that the 6534+ and the V3 sound AWESOME together!!!
The V3 can pretty much nail the same kind of tones as the 6534+, the 6262, or a 5150. But it can also do a LOT more! Each channel has a 3 way voicing switch. And while these are not "clones" of other amps, they are quite similar to several popular amps. You can make it sound VERY Marshally, Quite Mesa-Boogie-esque, and as mentioned quite 5150ish.

Try out the V3..... you may be pleasantly surprised! In the year before finding my V3, I went through (bought and brought home...not just played at the store) 9 heads (Peavy, Genz-Benz, Randall, Bugera, Marshal etc) Since getting the V3, I have NO desire to find a new amp. I have ZERO amp envy for anything else (including the 6534+ sitting in my living room).

A number of ways to read the Bias on a V3. The "carvin method is to read the voltage at the standby switch (giving you a total for all power tubes...stock it 100...25 per tube)

I MUCH prefer to use a bias probe.

There is a bias pot on the underside of the amp (have to pull it out of the chassis)
Turn this pot until you get the bias where you want it. Surprisingly, I like mine a little cold...around 32-34mv with 6L6GC tubes...it's safe to go to 40-42mv. With other amps with similar plate voltage, I usually like em around 37-38.

Go to eurotubes.com for more info (and vids on biasing)

Thank God. One of the few who has helpful advice, experience, and knows what they're talking about! Yeah, dude. I'm definitely liking the V3 from all I've heard. Thing is, the guy at the local store convinced me to buy some more microphones, so I'm on the fence between a new amp and a set of Audix mics. But thank you SO much for all the helpful info, bro! \m/
Jackson RR24
Marshall JCM800 2203

\m/
Bonus on the V3...switchable cabinet voicing on the line out (no mics needed)
;-)
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Quote by Vinson
Bonus on the V3...switchable cabinet voicing on the line out (no mics needed)
;-)

Sweet. And it actually sounds good, still? Retains its tone?
Jackson RR24
Marshall JCM800 2203

\m/
Quote by Cross Pain

Vinson pretty much nailed it on the head on how to bias the amp. I use the carvin method. The amp comes biased at a total of 100ma (25ma per tube). I run mine at abotu 140ma with JJ6L6 tubes. I play everything from Whitechapel to Brad Paisley and the amp handles all of it really well.