G'day all,

I recently (2 weeks ago) took up playing again after a break of about 5 years.

I am self taught, and not very good, but I know the basics.

So anyway, I decided to buy a new guitar and went off to the music store, and got thoroughly bamboozled by the huge range. I ended up getting a Takamine D21 in black for $280 Australian Dollars.
I must say I think I rushed into the sale, as I am not happy with it. The action feels way too heavy, and it just doesn't feel right.

I was hoping to upgrade from my Yamaha F310, but I think I may have downgraded to be honest...

I am now rethinking my purchase and my future endeavors with guitar, and I am now prepared to spend much more (around $1000-$1200) for a great acoustic/electric. Can anyone give me a list of good guitars in this price range? I love fingerstyle, and old rock styles.
Gidday,

takamine not a bad guitar,maybe a good set up will help & lighter strings.
My local guy set up a $100 NZ guitar improved it markedly.

Your Aussie Matons & Cole Clarks guitars are pretty nice,have you tried them?
cole clark guitars play like nothing else. to me they sound a little too bright, but i prefer dark sounding guitars. those things feel like an electric, and sound amazing plugged in. go give one of those a shot like the above person said.

besides that, take your time. play everything. get an idea of what you like, and what you dont. play multiple guitars from every brand, and play different guitars that are the same make and model. some are wildly different than others. you will eventually find one you love. until then, keep playing your yamaha. its a pretty good guitar, especially for the money.
About a year Australian guitar did a shoot out of six guitars in the $1000-$2000 price range and the Tanglewood won 3 of the five awards mine cost me $1100 with a Fishman Prefix Plus pick up in it, the action is fantastic sound is brilliant and build quality is flawless, as for Maton which didn't get 1 award
in this price range it's unlikely you'll do better than yamaha.

like User_Name336, i suggest you take your time and play everything. when i was going to buy my first decent guitar after more than 2 decades of playing, i spent months playing every guitar in every store. i learned a lot about my preferences that way, and also compared guitars in every price range. it was an eye openeer.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
in this price range it's unlikely you'll do better than yamaha.

like User_Name336, i suggest you take your time and play everything. when i was going to buy my first decent guitar after more than 2 decades of playing, i spent months playing every guitar in every store. i learned a lot about my preferences that way, and also compared guitars in every price range. it was an eye openeer.

i did the same. i played everything from $60 guitars to $9000+ guitars. what i learned most about the experience is that if you go into it with an open mind, and forget anything you know about brands, you can be surprised. one of the best sounding guitars i found was a $200 "no name brand" guitar (i say no name cuz i didnt know of it, and i cant remember the brand lol). second most important thing i learned was every guitar has its own personality. like i said before, even same models of the same brand can play and sound completely different from each other.

i also would have to agree with the "you cant beat yamaha" thing. i was going to say that in my last post, but i have no idea how much they go for, as well as other brands in australia.