I'm just curious how low or high people usually keep their action (as measured on the 12th and 24th frets)?

Beyond just having the action as low as your guitar allows, I know some people like it a bit higher, so I just want to see what other people do, and why, as well as how low people usually keep their action on average.

Also, what is the lowest action that is possible on a guitar?
my jackson is very low, doesn't seem to be a problem as I'm also a light picker, the lowest action possible would be just when you start to get fret buzz
I love low action, but the lowest possible has to be the Shawn Lane Vigier model, the radius is completely flat allowing for the lowest action. The thing is about three grand and I have never found one in the U.S. but damn I want to play one so badly
I actually like mine a bit higher than average. My X-50 Pro is where I like it. It's nice to actually be able to hit the guitar hard and not worry about excessive buzz. On my old RG560, it's too low at the moment. It buzzes some, but the real issue is I don't feel like I can really get under my bends with low action. That's mostly why I like higher action, I get a better feel on bends and I can play pretty hard. I can play just as fast on those as I can with low action.
Very high, alot of people can't play my guitars since the action is so high. My strings are almost 1.5 centimeters above the fretboard.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Quote by Gord@k
Very high, alot of people can't play my guitars since the action is so high. My strings are almost 1.5 centimeters above the fretboard.

o.0

anyways, mine are pretty low but i prefer my action a little higher, i seem to play legato a lot cleaner like that but nothing else
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
~3 mm.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
low

do floyd/edge equipped guitars have higher strings because the ones I tried had pretty high strings
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

i have a little bit of both.

my go to metal guitar for riffing is my Gibson SG VM(more of a rhythm setup, not really too many leads under its usage) has really high action, maybe i will measure it later and put it up here. but that is for lamb of god styled riffs and i will use it for some leads, but if i am doing more leads, i will go to my LP satin ebony, which has it more of a medium hieght, and if i am doing shread lead type of stuff, i use my ibanez 3550MZ pristege, which is as low as you can really get.

so really my height depends on the use of that paticular guitar.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
On my RG2228, the higher strings are just below 1mm. I can't measure any smaller than that. The lowest .080 at a bass low E is around 2mm, simply because there's so much string to vibrate that it needs more room to not buzz.

The lowest action possible is limited by the strings and a person's attack. The thicker the string, and the heavier the attack, the more room a string is going to need to vibrate without hitting the frets.

Edit: As for why... it makes it a lot easier to play. I have a sensitive touch, so my strings don't buzz. It's really damn good for playing touchstyle, too.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Last edited by Dayn at Aug 27, 2011,
I keep a low action as well.

High E on one of my guitars is 1-1.5mm. Low E is a shade higher 1.5-2mm as the heavier strings need a bit more clearance. Everybody settles on their own really once they figure out what they prefer and what suits their playing style. Players with a light touch that dont hit the strings quite as hard get away with a lower action. The buzzing you hear directly from the guitar doesn't come out your cab so some folk tolerate a small level of buzz knowing the audience don't hear it. You dont want the action so low that bends choke or fret out though. Also if you get loads of buzzing then you will also be cutting the sustain of the string short.
depends on the guitar - different neck profiles need different action imo.

but rarely less than 2mm at the 12th fret.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
All my guitars have 1/16" at the last frets. It's a little high but all my notes are clear.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by Gord@k

Video showcasing both your action height and you playing it or that is bullshit.

I keep mine in the middle, just high enough to suffice for slide guitar, low enough for regular play.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Aug 27, 2011,
1.7 - 2.2
My Gear
Ibanez JS1000
Ibanez RG350EX
Cort CR280
Ibznez GRG170DX
Fender Startocaster American Standard
Yamaha Acoustic CPX500
Hofner Acoustic Guitar
Zoom G2.1NU
Zoom GFX-1
Boss DS-1
Marshall MG50 3/5
I have the action as high as it can go without the screws coming out of the saddle to reduce fret buzz.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
My Les Paul is about 2.5-3mm from the 12th fret.
My RG is about 1.5-2mm from the 12th fret and about 2-2.5mm at the 24th fret.

I'm probably going to raise the action a tad on my Les Paul at some point though.
Twitter: ScottWotton
Tumblr: ScottWotton
YouTube: ScottWotton

3DS FC: 5043-1553-4655
Friend Safari: Rock type with Boldore, Pupitar and Barbaracle.

Wants his username as ScottWotton. >.>
I just crank them down until they start buzzing up high, then jack them up a bit until they stop. The bolt-on's seem to be higher, though. The funny thing is, the older I get, the less I care. I used to be really anal about that stuff, but now it doesn't matter. As long as I can get a major third bend out of it, it's ok. I recently bought a used epi 335 dot that had a wound g string on it- 11's!, and I loved it. When I changed the strings out, to 9's, like all of the others, I couldn't tell the difference. Go figure.
"Life's too short for bad tone"-Rev. Billy Gibbons
Quote by OliOsbourne
low

do floyd/edge equipped guitars have higher strings because the ones I tried had pretty high strings

No, it's probably just because they're more of a PITA to set up so the shop staff/owner of said guitar didn't bother.