I'm wanting to step up and build my dream les paul, which is pictured below, but I can't build the parts I have no tools, so anyways what body would I need to buy that is made for the pickguard? And what mods would I need to do to the body? Also where would I find a neck with a maple frettboard? As for the pickups it'll be a gold lace sensor in the neck, and a pearly gates in the bridge, would those two mix well? Sorry for the questions, but help will be extremely appreciated, thanks (:
Attachments:
yy2.png
How much are we willing to spend?
Michael Kelly Patriot limited
Michael Kelly Vex nv
PRS CE24

Tube Screamer
Zakk wylde od
Boosta Grande
Crybaby

Valve Jr
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Jr NOS
2x12 cab GBack

Bugera V22
Carvin Legacy

Vintage Rogers Drumset
Pearl ELX
Quote by MaVN
How much are we willing to spend?

Planning on spending along the time of a few years while I get enough money for good quality parts, at 14 money is hard to come by lol I'm estamating 600-700 bucks, but the lesser the better!
They should mix. And try Warmoth, and use a flat top LP body. Warmoth is expensive though.
edit1: Someone beat me to it.
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Depends, I don't know what pickups go good with plywood. EMGs will make it sound like every other EMG guitar though.

Quote by JazzMunkeyy
it needs a silver flakes
and sara underwood
That will cost you a lot more than $700 if you want it to be made of anything other than plywood. That's a custom rout job. If you insit on it being a carved top you're looking at a few thousand. If you go for a flat top it will be much cheaper but still somewhere over a grand minimum. A company like Warmoth or USACG will be able to do the routing for you but it'll have to be a bolt-on design that you assemble yourself and you'll need to supply them with very precise design blue prints for them to do the routing right and they'll charge you a premium for it.

You could easily spend that $700 on just the body alone if you want it done properly and made of a decent wood like mahogany or ash.
warmoth will do it all. the problem is that they are expensive. The less you rely on them for things you or a friend can do the less expensive it will come out to.

personally i would look for a good lp copy with a flat top and use that as a starting point because this guitar will easily go over a grand
Quote by sbinlb
warmoth will do it all. the problem is that they are expensive. The less you rely on them for things you or a friend can do the less expensive it will come out to.

personally i would look for a good lp copy with a flat top and use that as a starting point because this guitar will easily go over a grand

I've found this luthier on craigslist that says he'd build a body in traid for a digital camera, maybe I should try finding some luthiers like that.
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
Planning on spending along the time of a few years while I get enough money for good quality parts, at 14 money is hard to come by lol I'm estamating 600-700 bucks, but the lesser the better!

Ummm.. $700 will not get you anything but a plywood guitar. Save up about $2000 and you should be able to do it.
Michael Kelly Patriot limited
Michael Kelly Vex nv
PRS CE24

Tube Screamer
Zakk wylde od
Boosta Grande
Crybaby

Valve Jr
Peavey Windsor
Fender Blues Jr NOS
2x12 cab GBack

Bugera V22
Carvin Legacy

Vintage Rogers Drumset
Pearl ELX
It's pretty damn hard to pickguard a carved-top. Especially When you want that kind of setup. You're going to have to go flattop (as mentioned above) but an LP like that will probably run you more than what your budget is.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Quote by ma_tt11
It's pretty damn hard to pickguard a carved-top. Especially When you want that kind of setup. You're going to have to go flattop (as mentioned above) but an LP like that will probably run you more than what your budget is.

I'm not going to be using gibson parts, this is just what I made in kisekae to show what it'll look like, and I will be using a flattop.
heck i bet someone on here would make the body for you for a lottt less than warmoth
i would, but i havent ever done a carved top, and im not really confident enough to do it. i guess you get what you pay for. id do it for cheap but it may not be 100%
Last edited by xadioriderx at Aug 26, 2011,
Quote by xadioriderx
heck i bet someone on here would make the body for you for a lottt less than warmoth
i would, but i havent ever done a carved top, and im not really confident enough to do it. i guess you get what you pay for. id do it for cheap but it may not be 100%

Thanks man and I think I'm gonna have to find a luthier, because there is a lot of different routing on this guitar, but it'd be worth it I love how this looks!
Everyone who's saying that for 700 you can't get anything but a plywood body- you're wrong. Well, for 700, but only 50 more can get you what I made. Its a Warmoth Flat Top LP. Solid mahogany, white pearl finish. Parts from Guitar Fetish, a given for me. I know that they aren't highly regarded, but there's just something- an x-factor, that their stuff has for me. Anyways, just buy an in stock body. The pickups and crap you want will up it alot, but if you settle for GFS pups and hardware, you can get it done for much cheaper.
edit: Just look for a used Melody Maker and start from that. Talk to a luthier about routing it out, if you're not comfortable with that stuff.
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Depends, I don't know what pickups go good with plywood. EMGs will make it sound like every other EMG guitar though.

Quote by JazzMunkeyy
it needs a silver flakes
and sara underwood
Last edited by y2k11hmmm? at Aug 26, 2011,
Quote by y2k11hmmm?
Everyone who's saying that for 700 you can't get anything but a plywood body- you're wrong. Well, for 700, but only 50 more can get you what I made. Its a Warmoth Flat Top LP. Solid mahogany, white pearl finish. Parts from Guitar Fetish, a given for me. I know that they aren't highly regarded, but there's just something- an x-factor, that their stuff has for me. Anyways, just buy an in stock body. The pickups and crap you want will up it alot, but if you settle for GFS pups and hardware, you can get it done for much cheaper.
edit: Just look for a used Melody Maker and start from that. Talk to a luthier about routing it out, if you're not comfortable with that stuff.

Thanks man, and can I buy a flat top with no finish or routing? So that way I can get it routed by a luthier and finish it myself? And also I found one on ebay that's basswood for 40 bucks, is basswood any good?
Basswood is fine. It's a soft wood, so it dents, but I still like it. Kurt Cobain's custom Ferrington guitar was basswood I believe. The problem with buying a separate LP body is that (if it is a bolt-on) bolt-on Les Paul necks are quite difficult to come by. If it is a set neck body, you should be fine because set neck LP necks are relatively easy to come by. If you are only spending 40 smackers plus shipping on the body, you could probably afford a bolt-on neck you want from Warmoth (it would run you around $475 +shipping). Sorry if that was a bit jumbled, but I haven't slept in something like forty hours. That's what working on three problematic guitars will do to you.
Quote by Most_Triumphant

Quote by JazzMunkeyy
it needs a silver flakes
and sara underwood
You could definitely get an unrouted/unfinished body and send it to a luthier. See if you can learn a little from him, or watch him work, so when you make another (and you definitely will) you can do more yourself.
Quote by Most_Triumphant

Quote by JazzMunkeyy
it needs a silver flakes
and sara underwood
if you just route a "swimming pool" and slap a pickguard on it, GFS sells blank pickguard materials
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Quote by IronMaiden76
if you just route a "swimming pool" and slap a pickguard on it, GFS sells blank pickguard materials

By swimming pool do you mean like how the strat's have the whole section under the pickguard cut out?
Quote by JakePlaysGuitar
By swimming pool do you mean like how the strat's have the whole section under the pickguard cut out?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1438293

Look at this guys build. Swimming pool would be like that on the Les Paul you want.
The only real problem I see here is the maple fretboard. Eden will do you a decent LP copy for about 350 bucks. They will route for your pickup choice for a few extra bucks, but I don't think they do maple fretboards. Shipping will be expensive, about 150 bucks. For the pickguard, I would vacuum-form it to the top-that would be kind of hard, because you would have to find a way to protect the thing from the heat. Google vacuum forming- it's how R/C airplane guys make canopies and plastic parts. You can make your own machine with an old vacuum cleaner and a piece of plywood and a heavy plastic bag.
More than one way to skin a cat.
I think you could get this done the way you want it for 800-850 total- and a Pearly Gates mixes well with anything.
CNILE that is HOT
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Nah-got it off of ebay from a chinese dude. It has a veneer top over a SOLID mahogany body. I used a 6.00 bottle of cheap minwax woodsheen(plantation walnut color, the stuff you use to fix scratches on your kitchen cabinet), glopped it on until it looked like a cow had dropped a patty on it, let it dry overnight, and sanded on it with steel wool until I had to go to the doctor for tennis elbow. Here's what it looked like when I got it. I had the bridge assembly in a junk box for about 15 years. I figured the dobro tailpiece would add to the trailer-trash vibe. It came out pretty good. Sounds GREAT, with a 15.00 set of cheesy import P90's- I have a set of Gibsons coming in this week to replace them with. It's all cheap e-bay stuff. The body is built to early-50's specs, after looking at blueprints. I wiped the woodsheen down the fretboard to "age" the inlays. I had to scrape the stain off the bindings with a boxcutter. I have about 400 bucks total in it. Cheap thrills.
Attachments:
DSC02068.jpg
"Life's too short for bad tone"-Rev. Billy Gibbons
Last edited by CNILE at Aug 28, 2011,
After 30 years of buying high-dollar guitars, only to have them destroyed by flying beer pitchers(76 LP Deluxe), stagediving fools(91 custom shop LP),falling off of stages(Jackson Soloist), I decided to go the cheaper-is-better route. This thing plays GREAT-I am starting on another one today, in fact, with humbuckers from the parts bin -a Pearly Gates I bought but never installed, leftover bridge and tailpiece from one of these I did for a buddy a couple of years ago, just junk I've accumulated over the years, from parts I've pulled out of other guitars, etc.
Face it-until you are making REAL money, there is NO point in spending huge dollars. I have a rule- IT HAS TO PAY FOR ITSELF. In a dive bar, where you are competing with a pool table, NOBODY cares about your $5000 guitar and $3500 amp. They don't know about your vintage tube screamer. Or about your hand-selected tubes in your Mark I Mesa-Boogie. They don't even know what that stuff is! All they do is scream "FREEEEEEBIIIIRRRRRDDDD"! It's more important that it STAYS IN TUNE, doesn't pick up hum from the beer cooler, and is light enough to swat the beer bottles out of the way when they start throwing them at you.
Quote by CNILE
Nah-got it off of ebay from a chinese dude. It has a veneer top over a SOLID mahogany body. I used a 6.00 bottle of cheap minwax woodsheen(plantation walnut color, the stuff you use to fix scratches on your kitchen cabinet), glopped it on until it looked like a cow had dropped a patty on it, let it dry overnight, and sanded on it until I had to go to the doctor for tennis elbow. Here's what it looked like when I got it. I had the bridge assembly in a junk box for about 15 years. I figured the dobro tailpiece would add to the trailer-trash vibe. It came out pretty good. Sounds GREAT, with a 15.00 set of cheesy import P90's- I have a set of Gibsons coming in this week to replace them with. It's all cheap e-bay stuff. The body is built to early-50's specs, after looking at blueprints. I wiped the woodsheen down the fretboard to "age" the inlays. I had to scrape the stain off the bindings with a boxcutter. I have about 400 bucks total in it. Cheap thrills.

Oh ok, and could I get some sort of gibson shaped neck, remove the frettboard and put a maple one on it? Or am I just going to have to find a maple one?
Actually, you could. All you need to do is replace the fretboard. It's a set-neck.The fretboard is glued on seperately.You need to heat the fretboard and work it off with a butter knife(or a stiff wood scraper). You could go to stew-mac.com and get a replacement fretboard. They used to sell ready-to-install ones. It's what you have to do if the truss rod breaks. basically, what you do is heat it with a heat gun(a macho hair dryer)or an iron, which is better,until the glue softens, and slowly work it off. You can find stuff all over e-bay, a maple LP fretboard will show up- expect to pay about 80-100 bucks for one with frets on it. What you want to do is certainly possible, and will pay off in learned job skills. You pull this one off, and you are on your way to making a decent living. Go to a few garage sales and get a cheapo guitar or two to destroy first. That will let you practice before you start laying out the bucks.Remember not to burn the house down, wear gloves and SAFETY GLASSES. Super glue is EVIL, and won't come apart. A fretboard is SUPPOSED to come off. Hide glue is what they used to use, but now they mostly use carpenter's(Elmer's) glue. Look under "luthier's supplies" on e-bay, you will eventually find everything you need.There is a LOT of info online about this stuff. It's all about being patient, persistent,and figuring ways around obstacles. Determination to succeed is the most important part.
Yes, the only way I can see you getting this done without heartbreak is a body blank or Warmoth specialty routed.
For help with pickups you should consult the GB&C Pickup Buying Guide. A very good resource.
Quote by Most_Triumphant

Quote by JazzMunkeyy
it needs a silver flakes
and sara underwood
Quote by y2k11hmmm?
Yes, the only way I can see you getting this done without heartbreak is a body blank or Warmoth specialty routed.
For help with pickups you should consult the GB&C Pickup Buying Guide. A very good resource.

That's what I'll probably do, I can't route it myself, and I never seem to get responces from that thread