Okay, so as the thread title suggest I am going to try get a hold of a new amp. This will be only second amp and I doubt it will be gigging as I'm not in a band so no crazy combos etc. 15 - 30 watts should be adequit as I'm only in my bedroom.

I currently own a Fender Frontman 15G, hence the need for a new amp. I want a one which has a good metal distortion as I play thrash metal and clean does not need to be the best around. I have a B.C Rich Standard Warbeast and that will in no way be changing anytime soon (unless I change pickups, in which case does a Warbeast take active EMG's and are EMG's even needed or can I get the same crunchy sound cheaper?). I had looked at a Marshall MG, but I see they appear rather hated so I'm wondering if that is the best move?

I don't yet have a budget as I will be saving for this amp any way possible. I do not have load's of money, so please try keep the prices down but if that isn't possible then it isn't possible. You cannot change that.

Also, I live in England if that
You could go for a jet city, I have the twenty watt, all tube for 300usd new and it has great distortion, you could also go for the marshall dsl201, another twenty watt combo, and it's a jcm 2000. Both of these are 1x12s and can easily be found used for a great price.
DAS BOOT!!!
Roland Cube, Peavey Vypyr, or Vox Valvetronix. There are different sizes/wattages, so just decide which you want to go with. I know the 15 watt Vypyr is like $99 dollars.

I would avoid the Marshall MG series if I were you.

I am in the U.S. and don't know much about the price or availability of amps and such over in England, but I think you can get any of the three I named above.

I think the Warbeast has passive pickups. You don't have to replace with EMGs...you can get some good pickups a lot cheaper than the EMG stuff...I would point you in the direction of GFS pickups, but not sure you can get them in England.
Yeah, I was simply wondering because active EMG's are mentioned a lot for metal and I wanted to know if they would live up to their name.
I'll get back to what amps are available in England from that list.
Marshall Class 5 combo, and a tube screamer or distortion pedal for the gain
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt is £89.
Jet City 20 watt is £349.
I can't find the Marshall's at my nearest shop. Second hand will be the only possibilty.
Vox Valveatronix 20 watt is £130.
And the Class 5 combo is £315.

Price wise, which is the biggest steal? Or will I have to save longer? I currently have £100 but I can save some more.
Quote by swatspeedman
I do have a effect pedal with the tube screamer built in, so that is a possibility.

The Class 5 can be had for really cheap in the UK, it sounds like a mini plexi and takes pedal really well. It is my favorite marshall amp since the JCM 800 in the early eighty's
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
for your price, the ject city is probably the best bet, it has mre tonal options because of the gain control. The class 5 only has volume, bass, mid and treble knobs.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Haha, looks like I'll have to be sweet talking money outta my parents and grandparents :P
But which would be best for metal? I mean I have an effects pedal and all but it sounds so fake, I enjoy plugging straight into the amp sometimes.
Personally I would recommend a Blackstar HT-1 combo. Only £169 new and they sound fantastic, I think the gain on the amp on it's own is pretty good for an early thrash kind of tone and if you throw an overdrive or tubescreamer in front of it then the sky's the limit.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Okay, I have a list of amp's to try out in store.
Also, is a pedal better through clean or distorted?
what's your budget?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well, I currently don't have a one. I know for deffo about £200 is possible in the next few days, but I can wait and save up more.
Quote by swatspeedman
Okay, I have a list of amp's to try out in store.
Also, is a pedal better through clean or distorted?

Depends what kind of pedal, if you're talking about something like a tubescreamer or OD and you want to boost the gain/tighten the tone a bit then you should put it in front of the gain channel, take all the gain off the pedal, all the tone and all the volume and you'll get a much more high-gain and tighter tone.

If you're using a metal distortion type pedal though then you should definitely put it in front of the clean channel.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
k

well i guess you could always go the modeller route with your current budget

tube's generally better, but good + high gain + cheap normally means you can only ever have 2 out of the 3, not all 3 at once

you'd have to probably get up to the £400 mark or so to get something tube, and even then they're normally more mid-high gain, so you'd need an od boost (e.g. traynor ycv 50b on thomann, maybe laney gh50l)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, I'm sure I can save for a while longer. I'm in no rush as I have headphones for my multi effects pedal, but they hurt after time and it doesn't show you the sound you get when it comes out of a amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
k

well i guess you could always go the modeller route with your current budget

tube's generally better, but good + high gain + cheap normally means you can only ever have 2 out of the 3, not all 3 at once

you'd have to probably get up to the £400 mark or so to get something tube, and even then they're normally more mid-high gain, so you'd need an od boost (e.g. traynor ycv 50b on thomann, maybe laney gh50l)

Dude, he's in his bedroom, he doesn't need 50 watts of tube power

I stand by my HT-1 recommendation, I use one for practice and it's pretty much perfect for it.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
I'm going to try all the recommendations out next time I come across them. Any other recommendations would still be greatly appreciated.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Dude, he's in his bedroom, he doesn't need 50 watts of tube power

I stand by my HT-1 recommendation, I use one for practice and it's pretty much perfect for it.

just because he doesn't need it doesn't mean it won't sound awesome

but yeah i mean obviously if that's too loud (depends on what "bedroom volume" means, which is different for different people depending on the situation), then the ht series might be worth a look. Usual warning that they're not all-tube applies.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My current amp has never crept past 2 on the volume due to my effect pedal being so loud (I have to use the distortion off of that, the normal amp is horrific).
If I was the OP I'd aim higher than what he needs now just in case he needs more later and has to go through this process again, and doing his dough into the bargain. Go for the 50w man. Like you said, you have headfones.
you can't normally use headphones with a tube amp. far as i'm aware, anyway.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, I have paperthin walls, complaining neighbours and a little sis. I can't go very high on the volume anyway. It's probably better to get a 20 watt.
even 20 watt (if you're talking tube) is gonna be loud as all get out.

your best bet is to try a bunch of amps, almost regardless of wattage, and see how they sound when turned down. There's not always a correlation between wattage and how things sound at bedroom volumes, because even a 5 watter is barely ticking over at bedroom volume.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
me neither

another thing to bear in mind is that, unless the room in the shop where you're trying out the amps is tiny, it's going to sound a lot quieter in the shop than it will at home. So don't think it sounds really good at quiet volumes in the shop, because in your bedroom that volume might actually be pretty loud
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Okay, I mean my room isn't exactly tiny so surely the sound will diffuse more and be quieter than a normal bedroom?
probably a little, but i mean unless it's giant it's proably not going to be as big as a guitar shop either
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
not necessarily. if you bought it online, sure (though you'd probably have to pay postage both ways).

The law basically says if you've tried it first you're on your own. You can obviously get a refund if it's faulty or something, but if you just made a bad choice, there's no obligation for the shop to give you a refund.

if you ask them before if it's too loud and they say it'll be fine, but it turns out not to be, then you could return it, i think- though that might be hard to prove.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Robbgnarly
Marshall Class 5 combo, and a tube screamer or distortion pedal for the gain

No. Just no.