so i basically now just to test out my ear, im hearing out songs that are simple and try to play them on guitar.

lol so im starting simple with smoke on the water, i think anybody who has had a teach learn the riff for this, but i going be hear out the other parts.

now is it out if i hear it by someone doing a cover, cause i cant hear it on the actually stuido version for some reason? 2nd is it ok if i think got a certain part right but check if im hitting the right fret on the video, and if i dont can i go back and try to figure it out again?

just making sure before i start.
Last edited by harvestkingx at Aug 26, 2011,
Are you using your ear to figure it out? Yes? Then you're good. No? Then you're not good.

It doesn't matter what else you use to help/check you. If 90% of it is you earing it then it's no biggie (not like it was in the first place, but you know what I mean).
ok ty. what iam dong is get a youtue video, check to comments to make sure its good, and the hear the song for my own opinion sounds good. but i dont look at the video i scroll it down so that way the only time im looking at it, is when im checking if it was right.
Quote by harvestkingx
now is it out if i hear it by someone doing a cover, cause i cant hear it on the actually stuido version for some reason? 2nd is it ok if i think got a certain part right but check if im hitting the right fret on the video, and if i dont can i go back and try to figure it out again?

1) Just be aware if you're not training to cut through the mix, you won't magically learn the skill. Also note that there won't always be covers available to listen to. On more esoteric songs, you'll only have one--possibly terrible-quality--recording. If you want to get good at something (i.e. hearing songs off of a CD,) you need to do exactly that. As long as you are okay with these caveats, there is absolutely no problem.

2) Always check yourself when possible (if the resources are available.) However, take all other transcriptions with a grain of salt: see what they do, try it along with the song and see if it sounds better than your original take. You can't expect to be 100% right from the beginning. It's normal; double- and triple-check parts that you are unsure of. See who agrees with you and who doesn't.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by soviet_ska
1) Just be aware if you're not training to cut through the mix, you won't magically learn the skill. Also note that there won't always be covers available to listen to. On more esoteric songs, you'll only have one--possibly terrible-quality--recording. If you want to get good at something (i.e. hearing songs off of a CD,) you need to do exactly that. As long as you are okay with these caveats, there is absolutely no problem.

good point, ill do that instead, but i dont if its a version im listeening to but all im hearing is the piano and the bass and drums the rest , the voice seems to carry out the notes on the song, cause the guitar and voice are using the same notes maybe?, but yah ill try my best using the cd version on youtube

i dont know if deep purple has rhytm guitarist or not...i think the cover version i lsiten to was being different and did ians voice notes LOL unless ricthie did do that and the rhytm guitarist is playing out the other part, but if that the case, then your point soivet just became stronger and made look like an idoit x) haha thanks you though always a help
Quote by harvestkingx
good point, ill do that instead, but i dont if its a version im listeening to but all im hearing is the piano and the bass and drums the rest , the voice seems to carry out the notes on the song, cause the guitar and voice are using the same notes maybe?, but yah ill try my best using the cd version on youtube.

The guitar is definitely there. And it's not doing anything unison with the vocals and/or piano in the verses. It's sitting in the back of the mix, so train your ear to listen through the mix, rather than to it.
...yah read my post above (i edited it)

i made a stuiped mistake and hear a cover before, who choose to do the ian gillians voice instead of the actual guitar part lmao x), my bad. cause i listen to it again and i was like wait that there is a guitar but its not what i was learning lmao, well atleast soivet advice made its point x) but yah i hear it too, sorry got confused over a stuiped cover hahaha x)
Quote by harvestkingx
i dont know if deep purple has rhytm guitarist or not...

No. Deep Purple actually has one guitarist and an organist who plays through a distorted guitar amp. Hammond organ enthusiasts, such as myself, can tell the difference.

In "Smoke on the Water," the main riff starts with just the guitarist. The organ doubles it after a few repeats. Listen for when the riff sounds beefier; listen carefully and you might hear the distinctive sound (the blaring power) of the distorted organ. In "Highway Star," the first solo is from the organ as well as the fills between verse lines.

The guitar's line in the verse portion of "Smoke on the Water" is difficult to hear. The organ's role is more prominent and varied, but the whole mix makes it muddy. Keep trying, you'll get it eventually. Oh, and if you're not listening through headphones, try it: you can break down individual parts better that way...at least in my experience.

EDIT: By the way, I love your use of the phrase "earing out."
Last edited by soviet_ska at Aug 26, 2011,
Quote by soviet_ska
No. Deep Purple actually has one guitarist and an organist who plays through a distorted guitar amp. Hammond organ enthusiasts, such as myself, can tell the difference.

In "Smoke on the Water," the main riff starts with just the guitarist. The organ doubles it after a few repeats. Listen for when the riff sounds beefier; listen carefully and you might hear the distinctive sound (the blaring power) of the distorted organ. In "Highway Star," the first solo is from the organ as well as the fills between verse lines.

The guitar's line in the verse portion of "Smoke on the Water" is difficult to hear. The organ's role is more prominent and varied, but the whole mix makes it muddy. Keep trying, you'll get it eventually. Oh, and if you're not listening through headphones, try it: you can break down individual parts better that way...at least in my experience.

once again soivet you give out good advice, and yah the cover that i was learning off of was using Ians Notes fo the guitar, so thats why i thought that, but now i hear the guitar slighty. i already learn the riff from my old teacher on the first day of guitar lessons, and so i decide to learn the rest with my ears.

EDIT: (reads aboves edit) lmao, i dont know why i use that phrase, sometimes when im trying to explain what iam doing in a shrt sentence i make up stuiped stuff up like that x)
Quote by harvestkingx
once again soivet you give out good advice

Thanks, I'm glad that I can help.

Quote by harvestkingx

i already learn the riff from my old teacher on the first day of guitar lessons, and so i decide to learn the rest with my ears.

It's a worthy pursuit that takes a lot of practice; I wish you luck. I'm still no expert at it, but just trying to transcribe songs has (once again) altered the music-listening experience. Just make sure you make a concentrated effort to do it regularly if you want to be really good at it.
i dont know whats wrong with me but i find it realy hard to cut the mix out in this song, i did put head phones on but all iam hearing is a power chord til it gets back to the main riff, and i know that the song wouldnt go like that, so of course me i check a tab and i saw there was part that didnt have a powerchord but i couldnt even hear it. i feel kinda discourged now cause i had to look and now i feel like i cheated :/. i mean i couldnt even hear that part in the song after i looked at it.
Quote by harvestkingx
i dont know whats wrong with me but i find it realy hard to cut the mix out in this song, i did put head phones on but all iam hearing is a power chord til it gets back to the main riff, and i know that the song wouldnt go like that, so of course me i check a tab and i saw there was part that didnt have a powerchord but i couldnt even hear it. i feel kinda discourged now cause i had to look and now i feel like i cheated :/. i mean i couldnt even hear that part in the song after i looked at it.

Can you hear the part now? That's what matters.

I wouldn't say you cheated at all. I've looked at many people playing and many tabs. The only way it could adversely affect you would be if you STILL didn't hear it.

(Adverse isn't even the right word, cause it implies that you'll get worse... you can't really get worse unless you just flat-out stop playing for awhile, so I hope you understand what I'm saying)
so even if i do look at a tab, but try with my ears and trust me i was, then its ok, will it still help my ears, i know its going to take a long time to devlop a good ear, but even what i did still helps, but yah after that i hear it now. i actually forget it x) so ill remember by using my ears.

i mean i forget the thing on the tab lol.
Last edited by harvestkingx at Aug 27, 2011,
I know lol i feel like im keep bugging you guys, but i kept listening and i was feeling that part on the tab sound like more of the bass, so i was like ok ill check another tab to make sure, so i check the one here with 3 votes but 5 stars, and had it actually had what i was sorta hearing, but the one that i checked orgnially had 405 votes ut 4 stars, so now i dont know if i trust myself lol x) cause what i head was in the 3 vote 5 star one ot the 405 vote 4 star.
Quote by harvestkingx
so even if i do look at a tab, but try with my ears and trust me i was, then its ok, will it still help my ears, i know its going to take a long time to devlop a good ear, but even what i did still helps, but yah after that i hear it now. i actually forget it x) so ill remember by using my ears.

i mean i forget the thing on the tab lol.

One thing that's often really helpful when you get stuck trying to "ear out" a song is to sing the guitar part.

One thing I noticed when trying to figure this out is that often my hearing was sloppy - I didn't even have the notes down well enough to sing them right. I'd do something like the riff to "Smoke on the Water" and ba-ba-baaa, ba-ba ba-baaa ... and the rhythm would be right, but I wasn't really modulating the notes right, they were vague.

Listen. Sing it. THEN play it. Singing it clearly is a step that forces you to lock in on the specific notes. Can you sing the part you're hearing?
i hum the beat, then i think of the interveal of each beat, i hear alot of primes in the verse part, and then i hear the odd change in the interveal in the verse, so im agreeing with ver 5 tab more, cause i dont hear the other part lol do you notice a different n finding stuff from singing then humming?

i got it ! its power chord fingered picked lol.

you know even though, i didnt get it by myself, i feel like i learned what a finger picked powerchord sounds like now.
Last edited by harvestkingx at Aug 27, 2011,