I'm really in love with the idea of getting a 7 string guitar, and I may get one this Christmas. I have 2 bands, one of them a metal band that I would use this guitar in mostly to make some cool riffs and stuff, but our bassist only has a 4 string bass. Is there anything negative about this? Would it make it any harder to make corresponding basslines for the songs?
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Quote by 37 Narwhals
Your bassist can either play the same octave as you, or downtune.

yeah, sometimes bass still sounds alright in the mix even if its the same octave as the guitar, but i'd recommend either having the bass player tune to B or getting a 5 string
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Hey guys I play a guitar that has 20 strings, but the keyboard player has none! What do we do?

Answer: Play the same notes anyway.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Hey guys I play a guitar that has 20 strings, but the keyboard player has none! What do we do?

Answer: Play the same notes anyway.

Unreleveant to this thread question: What kind of Godin guitar do you have? I assume you have one because of your little description.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Quote by thePTOD
Unreleveant to this thread question: What kind of Godin guitar do you have? I assume you have one because of your little description.

I have two in fact

LG Signature
Passion RG-3

Pm me if you have any further Godin questions
Soundcloud
Quote by thePTOD
I'm really in love with the idea of getting a 7 string guitar, and I may get one this Christmas. I have 2 bands, one of them a metal band that I would use this guitar in mostly to make some cool riffs and stuff, but our bassist only has a 4 string bass. Is there anything negative about this? Would it make it any harder to make corresponding basslines for the songs?

Not really, so long as you both have a thorough understanding of the where the notes are on the neck of your instrument there shouldn't be an issue. If you don't it'll slow the process down.
Quote by Myshadow46_2
Not really, so long as you both have a thorough understanding of the where the notes are on the neck of your instrument there shouldn't be an issue. If you don't it'll slow the process down.

The problem being, notes below the low E will have to be played up an octave on the bass...which means it's in the same octave as a guitar, and can muddy up your sound.

Shouldn't be a huge issue, though.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
This might sound kind of crazy, but why not have the bass play an octave higher? It might not fit in all situations, but I've found that sometimes having the bass play in a higher register can create some truly interesting and melodic options. My bassist has a five-string, and I have a small arsenal of six-string guitars (no seven-string yet), and having the bass play in the higher end of its range can be quite interesting sonically.

The base doesn't have to play everything in unison with the guitar. Listen to Queens Of The Stone Age bass work, it's genious and rarely playing the same stuff as the guitar.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Last edited by Gord@k at Aug 27, 2011,
Quote by Gord@k
The base doesn't have to play everything in unison with the guitar. Listen to Queens Of The Stone Age bass work, it's genious and rarely playing the same stuff as the guitar.

QOTSA isn't exactly metal, though. I can see the issue cause, well...metal bass can be pretty dull at times.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
QOTSA isn't exactly metal, though. I can see the issue cause, well...metal bass can be pretty dull at times.

You shouldn't limit your influences to your genre, that will just make you sound bland and boring. I play alot of alternative rock like Pixies and Sonic Youth and i get many of my influnces from ambient music and country music. Listen to and enjoy everything.
My gear:
  • Fender American Standard Telecaster
  • Ibanez RG450
  • Laney VC15
  • Electro Harmonix HOG
  • Vox Satchurator
  • Blackout Effectors Musket fuzz
  • Electro Harmonix Pulsar
  • Earthquaker Devices Disaster Transport
  • Malekko Chicklett

Well the bassist knows his stuff, and he could probably come up with some interesting basslines. When I'm writing guitar parts to songs sometimes I create basslines too, and usually they're either harmonizing with the guitar, or playing somewhat of the same line but with their own separate notes/rhythms. I think getting a 7 string would be fun on my end, but we play songs in either standard or drop D, nothing lower so far. But I can make it fit, and the bass could play up an octave. I think it would surely sound interesting.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow

On a different day
Quote by Hail
The problem being, notes below the low E will have to be played up an octave on the bass...which means it's in the same octave as a guitar, and can muddy up your sound.

Shouldn't be a huge issue, though.

Surely you're not suggesting that the bass will be not differentiated from the guitar in the mix.....
Soundcloud
at the last metal show I was at 3 bands had 7 string guitars. and out of those 3 bands, none of them had 5 string basses.

what I suggest you do is either have your bassist tune in bead or maybe tune yourself eadgbea or eadgcea.
no sir away a papaya war is on