Ok, so im looking for pickup that can handle some gain and still sound pretty good and clean. However i dont want to sound like everyone else who plays that pickup.

Any Suggestions? Also passive suggestions if u have any.
Oh man...I don't even know where to start.

Guitar? Amp? Playing style? How on earth could you possibly sound like everyone else? Why would you want a pickup without coloration? No such thing?

WTLTL 2011
Quote by ethan_hanus
It's called a Bareknuckle Painkiller, only problem is that it's a passive pickup. Sucks, I know, they don't have the 9 volts and aren't brutalz actives, but they get the job done.

You did not just recommend a pickup without even knowing the guitar it'll go into...
WTLTL 2011
i would be using an ibanez rga and a bogner alchemist through a Marshall 8412. What im saying is EMGs sound very similar through out different guitars, What i mean is that id like a pick up that would let my amp and guitar body and neck wood to shine through.

and i would SOOO get Painkiller pickups but they are like 300 per pickup. i dont have that kind of money or else they would be in my guitars for sure
Quote by Mark G
You did not just recommend a pickup without even knowing the guitar it'll go into...

Yes, yes I did. Why, because, it's an investment...BKP's ain't cheap man...and TS has a half way decent amp...so it doesn't matter now.

I mean, it'll keep the clarity, has good cleans, and gives any amp a rather..unique response....

EDIT^ It's $260 for a set of two, and $140 for each at www.guitarasylum.com
And its also far from un-coloured, The Painkiller has a huge mid spike. The cleans aren't that good really, they could be better.

A good medium output passive pickup would suit you better I think.
Quote by littlephil
And its also far from un-coloured, The Painkiller has a huge mid spike. The cleans aren't that good really, they could be better.

A good medium output passive pickup would suit you better I think.

indeed. Most importantly, a balanced pickup without obvious spikes or cuts. Even then, to think it would let your guitar wood sound through more is bullshit. What you get is a bland pickup that won't highlight the guitar wood's strength and help cover its weaknesses.
WTLTL 2011
EMGs do color the tone a bit, but they still are reactive to the woods in your guitar. My 85 sounds different in my X-50 than an 85 I had in a Kramer.
what i mean is i like how active pickups sound (like the chugs, good cleans, clarity) but dont like how they leave such a mark on your tone.
If you want actives then go for it son. I had EMGs and have Blackouts now and I liked 'em. They are good and working with the volume knob does wonders to the tone. I replaced the Blackouts in my Carvin DC127 with the Carvin retro M22s to see how they sound and I liked 'em.

Always thinking about putting the Blackouts back in though.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
yea i was leaning towards blackouts more then EMGs. seem to be a little more crisp.

Also the reason i was asking for active pickups is because the guitar has active pickups in it (the Ibanez LoZ kind) and they sound dreadful to me.
Try the Blackouts. I think the sound MUCH more organic than the EMGs.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM, Michael Kelley Vex NV, Ovation Celebrity. Carvin V3
Peavey 412M w/Eminence Wizards & Swamp Thangs, Rocktron Hush Super C, Furman PL-8C,15 band EQ, Boosta grande, ISP Decimator, Dano EQ, Ibanez TBX 150,TC Elec Polytune
Quote by Vinson
Try the Blackouts. I think the sound MUCH more organic than the EMGs.

I second this, from personal experience having owned a guitar with blackout's since november i absolutely love them. IMO they completely destroy emg's in almost every aspect if not every.
Quote by alfguitar992
what i mean is i like how active pickups sound (like the chugs, good cleans, clarity) but dont like how they leave such a mark on your tone.

actually you dont need actives to get those qualities. Ive heard a lot of people talk about Bare Knuckles having the good high output of other pickups while maintaining a lot of clarity. But I will be honest and say I havnt tried one (they are next on my list of gear to get) but dont disregard them. It will be worth your time to send the people at Bare Knuckles an email and let them reccommend a pickup.
im probably going to get Blackouts and yea i would get bare knuckles but i dont have that kind of money
The Bare Knuckle bandwagon is getting really old on here. They are wonderful pups, but they aren't for everyone, and aren't the best suited for every application.

To ts: If you like actives I suggest the blackouts. I've owned EMGs in some other guitars and the blackouts are more versatile imo, at least when installed in an all mahogany guitar.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1474300

read a little bit of that. it didn't get many hits as far as viewers go, but i think you will find it helpful.

its an RG demoing BKP painkillers and some good conversation between me and the poster.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
that actually did help quite a bit, thank you.
and i agree BKP seem like more high gain pickups to me. the guitar im looking to put them into is an ibanez rga with a mahogany body, flamed maple top, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard.
^

What type of genres are you playing? Any specific bands?
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal