Been looking for a metal guitar and there was one listed on my local CL today so I messaged the guy. It's an Ibanez. He wasn't sure of the model but from my searching the internet I believe it is an RG170 from about 2003. He says it was never really played he bought it to learn and spent a ton of money and never learned. He claims that since then it's been in the case in a closet. He says he's played it every few months when the mood would strike him. But almost never. Says it's in flawless shape. He bought active SD pickups when he bought the guitar and had them installed at the music store. He has no idea what the model numbers on the pickups are and I certainly can't tell from this pic so if anyone can tell please speak up Other than that it's stock. HE still has the case. He's asking $200. This is in the US. $200 is a fairly high amount for this model Ibby but I am wondering if the SDs make it worth that amount. Here are the pics of the guitar which he emailed me(I can see it locally before buying so we'll assume in this discussion that it's actually in mint condition with a hardshell case as he says).

The body.

The headstock.

A better shot of the hardware.
Last edited by JoeRayClapton at Aug 26, 2011,
I wouldn't do it because my RG120, which believe is the same minus the single coil, was pretty junky and didn't intonate well or stay in tune. The neck felt great though. Also I thought all of EMGs actives had the emg logo on them in the corner.
Honk
Quote by Mukersman
I wouldn't do it because my RG120, which believe is the same minus the single coil, was pretty junky and didn't intonate well or stay in tune. The neck felt great though. Also I thought all of EMGs actives had the emg logo on them in the corner.

I meant to say Seymore Duncans. I'm pretty sleepy. His email says SDs not EMGS :P
The 170's are decent beginner type guitars. They're just not really worth adding expensive pickups. Doesn't stop people though.

EMGs do have that logo in the right corner. The older EMGs have it in block lettering, but the newer ones have a more curved type E with a line all the way through the E.

What is odd to me is Seymour Duncan actives have the seymour duncan in the corner just like EMG. I'm not aware of any Seymour Duncan's having the option of a black cover. I've seen nickel and gold and a black nickel (Livewires). Never on any regular pickups have I seen those covers. I know for sure Bare Knuckles offers that type of cover, but I doubt those are what is in there. If he's saying they're active, they aren't either of those. If you look close on the bottom left, you can see a slight what looks like worn off lettering. But it could be an anomaly in the picture. I don't understand why all the lettering would be gone.

What they look like to me are those cheap Dragonfire active pickups. I have EMGs pushing 15 years old that still have a logo. Why would all of it wear off in 8 years?

I'd ask for pictures of the humbuckers underside. There should be seymour's logo and name along with the model number. They aren't livewires, so that leaves Blackouts. There are 2 I know of, the regular blackout and the metal blackout. And more recently Mick Thompson signature, EMTY.

I have strong doubts those are actually Blackouts.
Last edited by Fenderexpx50 at Aug 27, 2011,
It's possible that there was a model that have no lettering I will make him let me see it first and I will inspect them myself. If there's no SDs in there I don't want it. maybe he thinks there are SDs in it and the Guitar Store he was at stuck some Dragonfire ones in there since he didn't seem to know the difference.
It looks like there could have been letting down in there, but the metal version of the blackouts did have just a raised lettering to my knowledge, no white lettering. But again, it's raised not depressed into it. I just don't see all of the lettering wearing off in such a relatively short time. They might be real, but I'd check before you buy. I might be wrong about the Dragonfires being the ones in there, but with no lettering to go on, it's hard to tell. But I don't know if the cheap actives make a single coil or not. Maybe they are real. Can you find out when he put them in? Blackouts haven't been around for that long really. If you know that, you could narrow it down.

But I can't really say for sure not having it right here.
you can buy black plastic pickup covers for like $6 on ebay. i put them on a guitar a long time ago, they fit over the stock pickups with no problems.

so i say plastic covers over a pickup that could really be anything.

i would not buy without reading the pickups.

and also i am not in your area, but i know aroud here i see seemingly 5-10 guitars a day that are a good/better guitar for the same amound of $$$.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
you can buy black plastic pickup covers for like $6 on ebay. i put them on a guitar a long time ago, they fit over the stock pickups with no problems.

so i say plastic covers over a pickup that could really be anything.

i would not buy without reading the pickups.

and also i am not in your area, but i know aroud here i see seemingly 5-10 guitars a day that are a good/better guitar for the same amound of $$$.

You aren't far from my area Im 40 mins N of Jax. :P Yeah I am gonna take a look but if those aren't SDs I have no interest in the guitar.
Back to the main question lets assume I inspect them and they really are SDs and active, and this guitar is truly in mint condition: would this guitar likely then be worth $200?
I think Blackouts were originally introduced in 2007 or so, with the AHB-2 Metal coming out later. I really can't remember when they came out, but I know they weren't out in 2003 because I got Musicians Friend Magazine all through high school and I never saw them in there.

Another note, while you can buy black covers if they're active like he says, they already have one. Taking it off would damage the pickup and render it useless.

If it actually had Blackouts, $200 wouldn't be bad for the guitar, case, and pickups. The pickups alone are at least $150. But if he's saying 2003, they're not Blackouts.
Last edited by Fenderexpx50 at Aug 27, 2011,
Quote by JoeRayClapton
Back to the main question lets assume I inspect them and they really are SDs and active, and this guitar is truly in mint condition: would this guitar likely then be worth $200?

if everything you said in that previous statement is indeed accurate, and it did have the SD's, i would try to get him down $20 or so to make me feel a little better, but i really don't know. i guess what i can say is the little bit of experince with cheap ibbys was that they didn't seem overly impressive, but that is just my opinion. it may be perfect for you.

also you know that with that trem, you aren't going to go crazy, right? you would need a full floater like a floyd if you are planning for that.

and a quick way to see if the pickups are active is to remove the back cover and see if there is a battery. actives don't work without a battery, so no battery = no actives.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
if everything you said in that previous statement is indeed accurate, and it did have the SD's, i would try to get him down $20 or so to make me feel a little better, but i really don't know. i guess what i can say is the little bit of experince with cheap ibbys was that they didn't seem overly impressive, but that is just my opinion. it may be perfect for you.

also you know that with that trem, you aren't going to go crazy, right? you would need a full floater like a floyd if you are planning for that.

and a quick way to see if the pickups are active is to remove the back cover and see if there is a battery. actives don't work without a battery, so no battery = no actives.

I don't even really plan to use the Trem on it if I get it. I won't even put the bar on there and will probably block the trem.
Just an update, I did buy the guitar and it does indeed have SD pickups, active. They have SD written on them but it's in all black raised lettering which you can;t really see in this blurry pic.
As illustrated by this BIG-ASS PIC
(Invalid img)
Last edited by JoeRayClapton at Sep 2, 2011,
Quote by hot4teacher
sounds like the ones they put in schecters a year or so before the black outs came out

Perhaps.
They ARE Seymour duncan actives.
Seymour Duncan LW-CH1 Livewire Active pickups to be exact:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seymour-Duncan-LW-CH1-Livewire-Classic-Humbucker-/250880625538?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3a69a68b82#ht_500wt_1156

EDIT: You can also see the logo lightly on the last pic of the original post.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Last edited by Chaz-6(sic)6 at Sep 2, 2011,