Page 1 of 3
OK. We've all seen examples of this. Things that make you go hmmmm

Advertising Truths, and well.........well misnomers.

So post away. I thought I'd get us started. Couple of rules would be please try contribute something meaningful and not just spam it up. Also, please be able to back up any claims with a pic or URL or personal experience. I would consider using the words 'in my opinion' or 'imo' so you don't get sued. It also is not a place for hate posts. Let's just try to have some fun with this.
(plus I'm bored)

The Fender Frontman 212R solid state guitar combo amp is already worthy of the Fender nameplate, and this Limited Edition Fender Special Run version has all the tone and features

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Frontman-212R-FSR-Limited-Edition-Red-100W-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-106728397-i1947990.gc

I owned one. It doesn't imo.
Why does Guitar Center list both the Blackstar HT-1 and the Fender Super Champ HD under 'Tube Combos' when they also have 'Hybrid Combos' as a category?

just sayin'

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tube-Combo-Amps-Combo-Amps,New-Gear,Page-3.gc?ipp=50
and the Edge III tremolo bridge lets you dive-bomb all night long while keeping tuning tight.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG5EX1-Electric-Guitar-103574026-i1167870.gc
No... it won't...

imo
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by Mark G
Marshall piece of crap. Its CRUSHING

I resent that.

The MG's overdrive channel really is crushing.

Soul-crushing. That is.

Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
GC description:

The MG100HFX amp head packs full analog tone circuits, for distinctive Marshall-quality amplifier tone and pure organic flexibility. Using digitally controlled analog functions, the MG100HFX head also delivers precise control and superb flexibility without masking your guitar's own sound or making your tone sound processed and artificial.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
^

pure organic flexibility
digitally controlled analog
superb flexibility without masking

Blackstar HT1

Blackstar HT1 gut shots (becky posted this the other day)

To her point, that is a lot of stuff for a 1 watt all tube amp
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 27, 2011,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Which are the SS components dude?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
GC's "price reduced" sales are never really sales. Their prices are always far below MSRP. The list price for an American Standard Strat on Fender's website is $1400 but I've never seen one for anything more than $999 there.

Also last week I went in there and convinced a guy to buy a Vypyr instead of the MG the sales reps were pushing on him
Last edited by Helicopters! at Aug 27, 2011,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^

pure organic flexibility
digitally controlled analog
superb flexibility without masking

Blackstar HT1

interesting.

the 1974x i cloned didn't have probably but one tenth of the components on the board in that picture. not even the JTM45 i am currently working on. lol. i can't imagine what all of those components do on a 1 watt amp.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by ragingkitty
Which are the SS components dude?

Well the chips with all those leads obviously. There's an obvious diode in the middle but it looks like a power diode so no idea what it's doing. Those small chips may just be switches but are probably op-amps. The big chip could be just about anything really, I can't read what's on it. I can see at least three transistors, easiest to spot are the two to the right of the bottom valve. There has to be a lot of other amplification stages than just the valve to account for all those resistors and capacitors. There's just too many of the little suckers.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Mark G
Marshall piece of crap. Its CRUSHING

ever drop one on an egg?

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
min knows tetris.
You missed that power diode in the middle, Min.

Edit: And the bridge rectifier in the bottom left corner.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 27, 2011,
Right in the middle to the right of the four transistors next to the bottom valve.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Right in the middle to the right of the four transistors next to the bottom valve.

that's a snubber for the ss relay.

it's not in the signal path so i let that one go. all the rectifiers too.

they didn't even bother to regulate the rails for the op-amps.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Op-amps aren't that fussy about supply voltage, as long as it's smooth they don't really care.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Op-amps aren't that fussy about supply voltage, as long as it's smooth they don't really care.

the digital delay definitely should have a regulated +12/-12 rail.

not only is it a tube screamer into another tube screamer into a digital delay pedal into some tubes maybe.

it does all that badly. and shittily.
Oh, is that what the big chip is? I didn't realise they had a delay.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
even the epiphone valve special that I worked on managed to provide all the necessary rail regulation for its op amps.
Some people like to do it but generally speaking you don't really need to. You'll never see a regulator in a pedal, at most all you get is a zener for over voltage protection. The operating range for op-amps is pretty wide.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Some people like to do it but generally speaking you don't really need to. You'll never see a regulator in a pedal, at most all you get is a zener for over voltage protection. The operating range for op-amps is pretty wide.

you don't need it for a pedal because it's 9vdc coming directly from a wall wart.

rectifying it from a secondary is completely different.

the wall wart ic should have regulation already.
Meh. They're just op-amps, they can take it.
And how many wall warts have regulators? You're lucky to get full wave rectification on half of 'em.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I don't care. I hate that amp. It's a piece of shit.

It's like someone put some tubes in there to be funny.
oh wow

In my opinion:

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I saw John Petrucci lie on youtube about his signature ibanez. He said the body was made from ancient chinese oak when infact its made from basswood
Quote by coolstoryangus
I saw John Petrucci lie on youtube about his signature ibanez. He said the body was made from ancient chinese oak when infact its made from basswood

consider yourself sigged sir
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
The guy in this vid says the spider 4 has "the most advanced modeling line 6 has to offer" or something like that http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=R57CHh--4kU

IMO, the modeling isn't half as good as the pod hd modeling. :
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Back OT, this is from the Bugera website
Our revolutionary INFINIUM Valve Life Multiplier technology is like having your very own technician inside your amp constantly monitoring and tweaking valve performance for the ultimate in tonal integrity and reliability. This revolutionary circuit not only optimizes the performance of each output tube, it dynamically balances the drive between them to more evenly distribute the load. With INFINIUM, your tubes last up to 20 times longer, saving you substantial money over the lifespan of your amplifier. INFINIUM also compensates for the effects of aging, automatically adjusting current levels to keep your valves sounding as good as the day they were installed.
One of my all time favourites is Monster Cables claim that their cables have reduced skin effect. Skin effect? At audio frequencies? What do they think they are pumping through it? 200 amps?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Not guitar related really but the "boutique" hdmi cable manufacturers basically market there whole thing on bullshit since a digital signal is either on or off aye..
Quote by coolstoryangus
Not guitar related really but the "boutique" hdmi cable manufacturers basically market there whole thing on bullshit since a digital signal is either on or off aye..

+Infinity...(Or, since we're discussing digital...+1)

Not 'marketing' related but I once went to a hardware store to purchase a cheap claw hammer and on the attached tag it said very clearly "Warning, do not use as a hammer!"
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
there's a lot of eddies... EVH, maiden's mascot, eddie whats-his-name from pearl jam... something with a v...

but my squier's manual said that it had 3 pickups for ultimate versatility it had 3 sounds... bad, worse, and utter shit
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Quote by IronMaiden76
but my squier's manual said that it had 3 pickups for ultimate versatility it had 3 sounds... bad, worse, and utter shit

it'd didn't have 5 sounds?

hi-def paint.
hi-def sunglasses.

drives me nuts yo.

axe fx - there is no axe in it.
Page 1 of 3