I know, you probably think I'm an idiot for asking this and been playing for 3 years... but every time I've gotten my guitar restrung I've always gotten it "professionally" done by the guys at my local guitar shop... so my E string broke today, I bought myself a new pack of D'Addario .012 strings (wow I don't even know what strings to buy, wait, bonus points if you suggest what strings I should buy to!) and a string winder, and I decided to actually do it myself today, because I want to actually know how to (or maybe I don't want to pay the extra 20 bucks, who knows). So basically what I'm trying to get to the point to is that, due to my lack of faith in choosing the right restring video on youtube, I've come to you guys for help, so could you help me out by choosing a good video for me to follow? I'm kind of a monkey see monkey do kind of guy, so text won't help. Thanks!
this is my signature, and it's purple in bold, you can't do anything about it.
People have varying methods.

I tend towards leaving the old strings on the guitar at normal tuning and replace each string one by one. Start with the high E, then low E and work my way into the middle strings using the same pattern.

It takes a little while for the slack in the new strings to free up, so perform a few tension adjusts at the beginning and they should hold tune.

I put a bit of graphite powder in the nut grooves to help the strings 'slide' through the nut.

If you havent already done so, invest in a guitar tuner, it will be a friend for life, especially for string changes.

Also if the D'Addarios you got are a different gauge set to what you normally use, the guitar will need an intonation, truss rod and action reset.
I buy Elixir brand strings, I never went back to Ernie Ball. Elixir is amazing.
I replace them one by one as well. Also, when you're putting on the string, be sure to leave a little bit of space (I usually leave about two inches) between the string and the fretboard. Then just feed it through the machine head, and tune it upwards until it sounds like the note that corresponds with the string name, open. Tuners do help. Get a chromatic tuner though. I replace them starting at the low E and going to the A, D, G, B, and then high E. It works for me.
Originally Posted by Azbats63
I'm the only white guy in a band in El Paso. My bandmates call me El Diablo Blanco. They tell me it means "trusted friend."
WOW WHAT THE F*CK, I just snapped the NEW E string when I tried to bring it back out the peg because I thought I strung it the wrong way. ):
Quote by katalyzt13
wow...just wow...

Don't be a dick.

TS, google how to restring it. You'll find many step by step guides as well as videos. It's nothing to be embarrassed about, **** this guy who probably thinks he's above you.
Quote by katalyzt13
wow...just wow...

you harass the OP for not knowing how to string a guitar, and i just read your blog and you are on your fifth week of a beginning instructional book.

you are learning to play as he is learning how to restring. no need to be a jerk.

not everybody is great at everything, i have a friend that can pull insane numbers out of a chevy 350, but you hand him a tuner for a OBD2 equipped car, and he sits there and scratches his head. while i am pretty good at engine work, i am nowhere near him, but i can put up 30hp gains on a tuner in twenty minutes with a logger and tuning software, and tune for spray, turbo, whatever. just sayin'
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
you harass the OP for not knowing how to string a guitar, and i just read your blog and you are on your fifth week of a beginning instructional book.

you are learning to play as he is learning how to restring. no need to be a jerk.

not everybody is great at everything, i have a friend that can pull insane numbers out of a chevy 350, but you hand him a tuner for a OBD2 equipped car, and he sits there and scratches his head. while i am pretty good at engine work, i am nowhere near him, but i can put up 30hp gains on a tuner in twenty minutes with a logger and tuning software, and tune for spray, turbo, whatever. just sayin'

Guy might just be a troll, or incredibly immature.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Step 1: Learn to write paragraphs

Step 2: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9502116&postcount=2

Step3: Searchbar/Google

The string gauge question is valid. It all depends on what you are personally looking for, but I'm sure 3 seconds with the search bar will get you all the info you would ever need.

thanks!
Quote by Insomnia69
WOW WHAT THE F*CK, I just snapped the NEW E string when I tried to bring it back out the peg because I thought I strung it the wrong way. ):

go back to the store and get .010's.
unless you're tuning down low, you shouldn't really need to be using 12's.
you snapped it cause you forced a heavy string to tune high. that's not good.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
go back to the store and get .010's.
unless you're tuning down low, you shouldn't really need to be using 12's.
you snapped it cause you forced a heavy string to tune high. that's not good.

Not that he shouldn't use 10s like most people, but you're not going to snap a 12 by just tuning it to standard. I used to use 12s all the time on my semihollow to make it feel more like an acoustic and it was never a problem.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Not that he shouldn't use 10s like most people, but you're not going to snap a 12 by just tuning it to standard. I used to use 12s all the time on my semihollow to make it feel more like an acoustic and it was never a problem.

I honestly think your lucky, i'm using 12's for B standard and Drop A# right now, my band plays in drop C but anywhere above d standard my strings have snapped before
wait you paid someone $20 to restring the guitar? i laughed when i saw that GC was charging $10. i'm in the wrong business.

it's easy and something all guitar players should know how to do. pain in the ass at times but after a few times you'll be an old pro.
Quote by dullsilver_mike

well, it also comes down to how its set up and how careful he is while tuning. if you don't let it stretch, it's gonna snap trying to tune it up high too quickly.

I used 13-65's in E for a while on my Strat, so I know it's possible. but you also have to know what you're doing.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Would 11's be ok for e standard?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by kutless999
Would 11's be ok for e standard?

yeah. it'll just be a little stiff. but perfectly fine.
Quote by pedromiles101
I'd check out this link for some helpful tips on setting your guitar up, including restringing: http://www.youtube.com/user/ElixirStringsMedia

They offer some good and easy to follow stringing techniques plus some good maintenance tips as well.
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
.012 strings are great! Have them on my Les Paul tuned to D Standard and they sound so bright and thick. Welcome to the .012 club!
Fender Deluxe 72' Telecaster w/ SD SH-4 JB
humbucker in the bridge position running through....
--
Crate FlexWave 120H
Marshall 1960A 4x12
Boss TU-3
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet
BBE Green Screamer
MXR m109 6-band EQ
MXR m135 Smart Gate
head to the electric guitar forum, there is a sticky that explains everything. i found it more usefull then any video....but thats me
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I totally forgot to look back at this thread, whoops.
Well anyways thanks for all the help guys, I've successfully restrung my guitar and won't be needing to go back to get it done by other people, thanks!
Quote by Insomnia69
I totally forgot to look back at this thread, whoops.
Well anyways thanks for all the help guys, I've successfully restrung my guitar and won't be needing to go back to get it done by other people, thanks!

Good Job

i hope that the comment from that jerk didn't set you off too bad. there aren't a too many people like that on here, but you do run into one occasionally. hopefully that doesn't deter you from posting on here, as there is a wealth of information here and a lot to be learned if you are willing to listen.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/