OK so this may sound newbish but i have never had a need to do this until lately. Previously when i needed a dropped d tuning i would go to my handy epi but since i no upgraded the pickups they don't really do metal as well as id like and i own a jackson with emgs but the problem is the floyd. For what i need d for would be a single song live and i would make it inbetween two breaks so i have time to retune but the question is "Just by dropping the e string to d and retuning all other strings back into proper pitch will it drastically or severely through my floating trem of to the point where i couldn't really use it." Because obviously i don't got enough time to go into the back and readjust strings during a show heck i might not even have time in my ten minute break it put it back in standard but all i need to no is if it is possible and has anyone done it before because i don't want to waste my time attempting something impossible. And by the way d tuna wouldn't work for me and i don't got enough money for a dif guitar :P
Ok so i just read this over and to clearify on my post i am referring to only Dropped D not D Standard my bad
you should be okay besides it will take a minute, but your intonation will be a little off, I think. I would think the Epi would be a better bet, still - throw some GFS pups in there for cheap so they do metal better...
Well the thing is i changed the pickup in my epi to do classic rock better and its amazing now so the pickups arent gonna go anywhere and the intontation dont really matter to much lol especially with the distortion i like to run will make it barely audible to people unless they are steve vai or someone :P But then again if steve vai was there i wouldn't be playing guitar :P
Whenever I wanna tune to drop D with my double-locking trem, I just use the fine tuner.
Originally Posted by Azbats63
I'm the only white guy in a band in El Paso. My bandmates call me El Diablo Blanco. They tell me it means "trusted friend."
It wouldn't be easy. Anytime you alter a string's tension, you lose the balance of the whole system. All the other strings would go sharp. So you'd have to retune it and that can take some time to get it right. You could probably get it done in 10 minutes.

Have you considered maybe detuning to Standard D? You could shift everything up a step, unless there are parts where that would simply be to difficult to do. For one song though, maybe if that won't work, try to borrow a guitar. That would be easier than trying to get it perfect in 10 minutes. Use your break to grab a drink.
Get a morpheus drop-tune pedal!
Originally Posted by Azbats63
I'm the only white guy in a band in El Paso. My bandmates call me El Diablo Blanco. They tell me it means "trusted friend."
I have a schecter and i can go from standard to Drop D with no problem. Just unlock, detube your E string to D and lock it back up. the bridge will drop the slightest if set up corectly and the tuning stays the same.
there is the EVH d-tuna that you could potentially use on a floyd.

personally i wasn't impressed with mine (it came on an EVH gutiar), so i took it off, but what i will say is that it drop tuned you accuratly, but the other strings would still go out a little, but it seemed less.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Do you use your trem much? If not you can always buy a tremol-no and never have a problem changing tuning.
Quote by j-falafel
Get a morpheus drop-tune pedal!

now explain how that will take him from standard to drop D
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by bass94
I have a schecter and i can go from standard to Drop D with no problem. Just unlock, detube your E string to D and lock it back up. the bridge will drop the slightest if set up corectly and the tuning stays the same.

Unless your guitar is somehow exempt from the laws of physics that's impossible. A floyd is a balanced system - upset that balance in any way, eg by detuning the low E, and you'll affect the tuning of all the other strings too. You're guitar IS going out of tune when you do this, you just can't hear it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com