If anybody would know or could direct me to a place that would tell me if there are any body woods that are heavy then Rock Maple? I already tried Warmoth and a few other random sites on google.

Also, I don't understand the use for longer scale lengths. What I mean by that is the difference between a 39.55 scale length on a Knuckle Quake Bass compared to say a average scale bass?

Thanks for any help.
Quote by Double Basser
there is no simple instrument, only simple minds
im not positive it covers wood weight, but go to the central hub/essential links thread in GB&C here, and theres a wood thread there somewhere. or here, this has weight if you go to the neck wood link:
http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=45005&st=0&p=487040&fromsearch=1&#entry487040

as far as scale length, its a lot of personal preference. i prefer a small scale length because of my tiny hands. i cant stretch far on a bass
the only other difference it makes is how much tension is in the strings. but im guessing that wouldnt make a difference to most people like me, or to you, otherwise you would know that because youd have a reason to know that =p
scale length has an influence on tone. but its such a weird influence that you'd have to play the same bass but with different scale lengths, to see the difference.

i have a 24" scale jaguar, and a 25.5" scale jaguar, the shorter one has slightly more low mids, but its the same woods and same electronics.

the longer one has a nicer upper end.
Quote by xadioriderx
im not positive it covers wood weight, but go to the central hub/essential links thread in GB&C here, and theres a wood thread there somewhere. or here, this has weight if you go to the neck wood link:
http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=45005&st=0&p=487040&fromsearch=1&#entry487040

as far as scale length, its a lot of personal preference.
i prefer a small scale length because of my tiny hands. i cant stretch far on a bass
the only other difference it makes is how much tension is in the strings. but im guessing that wouldnt make a difference to most people like me, or to you, otherwise you would know that because youd have a reason to know that =p

They also sound quite different. You know why something like a schecter C-1 Hellraiser or similar sounds different from a les paul? Scale length. The longer the scale length the brighter and tighter the sound, with more overtone, the shorter the warmer and looser the sound, with more fundamental (this was how Robert Godin - you know, the guy who founded Godin guitars explained it to me).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Aug 27, 2011,
Quote by xadioriderx
interesting, i wasnt aware of that. i always heard preference. cool beans!

Isn't it cool though? It's really interesting something as minor as scale length can change the sound so much.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.