So I was browsing Craigslist and I found this: Marshall JCM 900 and a Carvin 4x10 And I am wondering if it would be a good replacement for my Peavey Valveking? I play pop-punk and people say this is the amp to do it on. I asked the guy what exact model the JCM was and what speakers are in the cab to see what I am getting. I have a Marshall Lead 1960 cab so I am not too worried about it. I have heard bad things about it being on low volume. Which I usually have to play at. My Valveking sounds really good at low volumes. Just as good as it does loud. I could get an attenator. If it will be a better fit than my Valveking. I like really middy crunch like Blink 182, Four Year Strong, that punchy crunch sound.
GEAR:

1994 MIM Squier Strat with custom paint
Agile 3000

Peavey Valveking 100
Marshall Lead 1960
Marshall JCM 900 SLX
Carvin 4x12

Zoom G7.1ut
Last edited by DustyR46 at Aug 27, 2011,
Punky stuff is about the only thing they do well and they do it extremely well. For your genre it would be fine upgrade from an unmodded VK. I'd do it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Its a master volume SL-X model. Still worth it?
GEAR:

Agile 3000

Peavey Valveking 100
Marshall Lead 1960
Marshall JCM 900 SLX
Carvin 4x12

Zoom G7.1ut
Even moreso. Grab it!

The SL/X is the good one. They ripped out all the opamps that were before the first valve in the Dual Reverb and added another valve. They don't have two channels like the 4100, just two master volumes but it is such a better sounding amp it is worth it. The SL/X is by far the best sounding 900, no contest. At $500 you'd better be fast before somebody else reading this beats you to it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Aug 27, 2011,
Will do. NAD hopefully coming up soon!

EDIT: Anything I should look out for? He says it needs to be re-tubed.
GEAR:

Agile 3000

Peavey Valveking 100
Marshall Lead 1960
Marshall JCM 900 SLX
Carvin 4x12

Zoom G7.1ut
The thing that usually goes first on those are the pots. They go scratchy. They are a pita to replace because they are PCB mounted but it isn't a deal breaker. Everybody that owns a 900 has to replace a few at some stage in the amp's life.
Put JJ 12AX7's in it. For the output tubes you can either go for the top end of modern valves like SED or JJ or if you like you can just run Shuguangs in them. They work remarkably well in a 900 and are dirt cheap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Are they only scratchy when you turn them? Would contact cleaner fix it?
GEAR:

Agile 3000

Peavey Valveking 100
Marshall Lead 1960
Marshall JCM 900 SLX
Carvin 4x12

Zoom G7.1ut
hey dusty. to avoid potentially getting it sniped by someone lurking the forum

delete your original post.

just post a nad thread when you get it.

you are risking getting sniped.

good luck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Okay. That's a good point. Thank you guys for your input!
GEAR:

Agile 3000

Peavey Valveking 100
Marshall Lead 1960
Marshall JCM 900 SLX
Carvin 4x12

Zoom G7.1ut
Well they just go dodgey but yeah, when somebody refers to a pot as scratchy they mean when you turn them. Contact cleaner can sometimes fix it for a while but usually when a pot goes scratchy the only real fix is to replace them. It isn't that hard to do, I've replaced 5 of them on my 4102. The hardest part is removing the board but it isn't a difficult board to remove really. Just don't touch anything before discharging the caps, there's over 400 volts on them in that.
Any idiot tech could replace a handful of pots in them in under an hour. If he took longer than that you wouldn't employ him. Maybe a little over an hour if you had to replace all of them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Okay thank you for the advice. I don't turn my pots too much. But I am sure that can get SUPER annoying. Is the 4102 a SL-X? How good are the EQs on it?
GEAR:

Agile 3000

Peavey Valveking 100
Marshall Lead 1960
Marshall JCM 900 SLX
Carvin 4x12

Zoom G7.1ut
Nah, the 4102 is the Dual Reverb pos. It's my spare amp. The EQ's on the 900 are fine. Pretty standard Marshall fare. The SL/X is a great amp, sounds nothing like the fizzy piece of crap that is the JCM900 Dual Reverb. You'll like it, you can't help but like an SL/X.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It sounded pretty bass heavy. Which I guess is normal. Or it could be the Carvin 4x12 under it. I like it. I will have to test it and find settings I like on it before I decide its better than my VK. If not I am sure I can resell it. Easy.
GEAR:

Agile 3000

Peavey Valveking 100
Marshall Lead 1960
Marshall JCM 900 SLX
Carvin 4x12

Zoom G7.1ut
so you got it?

is the carvin a 412 or 410? i think you listed both.

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I don't have it yet. I am buying it this week sometime. Its a 4x12. I looked at the back. He must have listed it wrong. But I will see what set-up I like better and when I get it I will NAD it all.
GEAR:

Agile 3000

Peavey Valveking 100
Marshall Lead 1960
Marshall JCM 900 SLX
Carvin 4x12

Zoom G7.1ut
Spend a bit of time dialling in the EQ before you come to any conclusions. Do you know what drivers are in the Carvin cab? You could always swap them out for something else later. I've only ever heard an SL/X though a normal 1960A cab. Good bass response but I wouldn't think too much. Just pull out some of the bass for Pistols type stuff but with the bass in there it makes a good Bad Religion amp for those that can't afford a Mesa.
I'd find it hard to imagine you preferring the VK unless your VK has been modded heaps.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It was a Marshall JCM 900 SL-X 2100 if that makes a difference.
He bought it used so he didn't know what speakers are in the cab.
Just as a precaution, how easily could I resell this amp at the same price? If it were to come to that. I think I will like this amp. But I am not selling my VK unless I am sure.
My VK is completely stock. I hope that the JCM sounds better when I get it home and mess around with it EQ wise. I love Bad Religions guitar sounds. I am kinda young so I am just worrying about money. I did my normal test of putting everything but volume at 5 and it was pretty bass-y. I was also having both Gain stages at 5. Maybe if I just use one it will sound better. I am not a huge gain user. I try and lower it to make it so you can hear my palm mutting clearly and not so muddy. The not having two channels shouldn't be a problem if I keep my VK for cleans. Since I do use them sometimes.
GEAR:

Agile 3000

Peavey Valveking 100
Marshall Lead 1960
Marshall JCM 900 SLX
Carvin 4x12

Zoom G7.1ut
At that price if you decided to sell it you should be able to turn a decent profit. SL/X's are a well sought after amp. The Dual Reverbs don't command a very high price but SL/X's do. Many people say the SL/X is the only decent Marshall since the JCM800 2203/2204. That's why greg told you to remove the link to the ad. If you don't jump on it, somebody will. That's a great deal.
If you aren't using much gain the lack of two real channels shouldn't be a problem. You just have to learn how to use your guitar's volume knob properly. For you cleans you just have that Volume on the amp turned up louder. Then you wind back your guitar volume as you kick in the clean channel. That way you cut back on distortion and retain the output volume.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
My Amp Nao!
Quote by Tyler Bro
Gauges or Diamond studs? I am getting one, which one?

Quote by Xiaoxi
Get a dildo. Says the same thing.
Quote by Cathbard
At that price if you decided to sell it you should be able to turn a decent profit. SL/X's are a well sought after amp. The Dual Reverbs don't command a very high price but SL/X's do. Many people say the SL/X is the only decent Marshall since the JCM800 2203/2204. That's why greg told you to remove the link to the ad. If you don't jump on it, somebody will. That's a great deal.
If you aren't using much gain the lack of two real channels shouldn't be a problem. You just have to learn how to use your guitar's volume knob properly. For you cleans you just have that Volume on the amp turned up louder. Then you wind back your guitar volume as you kick in the clean channel. That way you cut back on distortion and retain the output volume.

That's true I could do that with the volume nob. I mean after I thought about it I rarely use my clean channel and can in fact do without. I will just need to spend time with this amp to find out how I really feel about it. I am glad I can sell it for the same price if not more for just the head. And depending on which cab I like better I can sell the other. Because who really needs a full stack nowadays?
GEAR:

Agile 3000

Peavey Valveking 100
Marshall Lead 1960
Marshall JCM 900 SLX
Carvin 4x12

Zoom G7.1ut