Okay guys, before you throw out $3000 gear suggestions, I'm only a freshman in high school. No job, can't even drive yet. Been playing guitar for two years.

I own a Schecter Diamond Series Omen-6. It's pretty nice, especially for the price. Pickups probably should be replaced, though.

I had a little 15W Fender 15G amp up until April when I got a Line 6 Spider IV 75W. From what I've seen, people here tend to not like Spiders very much, haha. I personally think it's pretty decent, can get loud as hell if you aren't careful.

My style of playing generally revolves around hardcore and metal type stuff. A few of my favorite players would be Misha Mansoor, Marc Okubo, and Tosin Abasi (all of which are thousands of times better than me).

I'm basically looking for any kind of gear you can recommend me or tips you can give me. Anything is appreciated!
Last edited by moonpow at Aug 27, 2011,
You'll get a much more helpful response if you can list more details for what you're looking for:

-Why are you looking to upgrade?
-What are you looking for this new gear to do? Compared to your old stuff?
-How much are you able to spend? Can you get access to much used gear where you are?
-What sort of playing situations are you looking to get into? Gigging anywhere? or just bedroom?

Anything else you provide will help people give you better advice, we just need to know what you're looking for out there.
Guitars:
Epi Les Paul Custom Blackback
Gibson SG Classic w/ P90s
Epi Les Paul Ultra I
Squier Tele Black & Chrome
Taylor 210e

Amps:
Marshall JVM210H
Orange Tiny Terror
Marshall 1969 Lead cab
Orange PPC 2x12 cab
I'm wanting to upgrade because I'm looking for some better tone, but I don't want to spend a lot of money or risk tearing something up.

Compared to my old stuff, I'd just like something more versatile with tones, as Line 6 cleans aren't amazing. Distorted tones are pretty decent. I've heard everyone loves tube amps but I don't really know if I should go in that direction (maintenance costs and all).

I myself am pretty broke, I have like $75 right now, but I have a birthday coming up soon, so as long as it isn't too pricey.

Playing situation would be my bedroom. Not tons of people around here interested in starting a hardcore band, lulz.

Also, on the note of being in my bedroom, I don't really have room for much big stuff unless I rearrange.
If you have a computer, i recommend the Line 6 HD300. Its actually got some pretty decent tones unlike the other line 6 products, and its not too expensive. Or maybe a Peavey Vypyr 30. the Vypyr also sounds pretty 'natural', not as sterile or compressed as other modelers

all these things are modelling stuff, but with your budget, purpose and genre this is it.

EDIT: maybe you could get a used Peavey 6505+ 112 combo for around 400 dollars or so
Peavey Vyper Tube.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
The Tube 60 is only $100 more than the Pod HD300.

It's worth the extra save.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
An issue that I think needs to get addressed more often. (ahem)

TUBES ARE NOT SOME INFERNAL DEMON TO MAINTAIN. In general, they are often more reliable, and if a solid state amp breaks, most of the time it's toast. If a tube amp breaks, there are usually options to repair it with. If a tube amp is out of your budget, thats fine. But don't avoid them because someone told you're they're trouble to maintain.

Anyways. If you're just playing by yourself, a POD could be a great investment. If you want to dabble in tube amps (and like the idea of amp modeling), look into the Peavey tube Vypyrs. The biggest constraint will be your budget, do you have a rough ballpark of how much money you'll have at your disposal?
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo