I've had the money for 8 months now but not the balls to make a final decision. I like the screamer because it was very versatile, i like to play stuff like Alice in Chains and NOFX, but i mainly play metal (a little thrash, some (tech) death) and lately a lot of djent style stuff.

A lot of people say the screamer can't do metal, but it still seems like the best option for my situation (50 watt combo, which is nice since i still live with my parents in an old home with walls that let through a lot of sound). And besides that I even liked the heavy lead channel for the br00tz, but then again after my MG im impressed by everything

Anyone care to talk me out of it or talk me into it more? Im still doubting a little.
Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
Basically dont. There are much better value combos out there like Blackstar HT and Bugera V series that would be equally as good. I love the upper end Engls but i think some of the more budget models are pretty poor and not great value.
I've got a friend w/ the screamer. I'd buy it but also buy an ibanez tube screamer or a MXR Fullbore metal. I think that would sound pretty good with your Jackson
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
Basically dont. There are much better value combos out there like Blackstar HT and Bugera V series that would be equally as good. I love the upper end Engls but i think some of the more budget models are pretty poor and not great value.

No.

Just no.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Sir-Shredalot

The blackstar ht isn't really in the same vein as the engl. I know a lot of people on here love their bugeras, but i'm still convinced they're junk. I actually really like the screamer, i can't remember what the model is called but ENGL has a mini head that i fell in love with at guitar center, might be worth a look.
Do you mean the gigmaster? I've tried it but compared to the thunder and screamer it sounded kinda stale but it is a fun thing indeed. (I tried the combo, maybe that didn't help tonewise)
Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
We have a Screamer at our band house and it's great sounding. And there's more gain in the amp that I will ever need. We keep the gain at 4 (10 is max) (lead channel) and that's enough for our genre (we play something like Van Halen and GNR). I think Screamer can easily play thrash (at least 80s thrash), I don't know about death metal. I say it again: It has more gain that I would ever need.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Sir-Shredalot

...Bugera V for metal? Really?

And if I remember right the Blackstar does harder rock stuff better than it does metal.

Where ENGL mainly cater to metal.
It's been a while since I looked into ENGL but I think the Screamer should be cool for what you want, though the whole "50 watts is good cos I need to be quiet"...you won't be quiet with 50 watts of valve!
You'll probably set the volume at about 1 whenever playing in your house, and even then it might be a tad loud!

I don't know a hell of a lot about getting a metal or "Djent" tone, but if I'm right you might need some kind of boost too, but either way I can't see an ENGL really letting you down.
Ok thanks everyone i think i made up my mind, ill leave in 30 minutes, first make one final round through the occasions (incase i see a monster deal and then place my order i think
Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
Quote by Sir-Shredalot

V-series for metal? Compared to a Screamer? Are you out of your mind?

I don't even have to tell you about build-quality, I mean, we're comparing an Engl and a Bugera...

The HT series amps are budget amps. They're fine. They're not as nice as a Screamer. Even with the Screamer not getting as heavy as the pricier Engls, it's still decent for high-gain, and it certainly does a better job than any HT combo. It's also more versatile; or to be more precise, while both cover the same ground, the Engl does every sound better. Every. Single. Sound.

Apart from that, the Screamer is pretty decent value in Europe. Outside of it, maybe not so much.
Screamer should do what you want fine. Don't listen to folk that say it cant do metal. Could always add a tube screamer or something if you need more tightness for djent etc.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Aug 27, 2011,
Quote by coolstoryangus
Screamer should do what you want fine. Don't listen to folk that say it cant do metal. Could always add a tube screamer or something if you need more tightness for djent etc.

Yeah i was thinking of that, i have the cash to do so. Think you'll see a NAD somewhere in a week when it's in
Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
& Bong Rips
If you want super thick and heavy sounds the HT or Bugera V isn't going to even come close to the screamer.. Your just going to hit open, set your guitar down, and masturbate.
/rig
the screamer's not as good, or as good for metal, as the higher-end engls... but it's still a pretty good amp. I always like them when i try them, anyway.

I wouldn't be taking a bugera or hybrid blackstar over one, anyway.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?