Page 1 of 2
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14679657

Every winner of the 100m since the inaugural event in 1983 has been black, as has every finalist from the last 10 championships with the solitary exception of Matic Osovnikar of Slovenia, who finished seventh in 2007.

Is it wrong to note 100m winners are always black?

Seen in this context, the notion that black people are naturally superior distance runners seems bizarre. Far from being a "black" phenomenon, or even a Kenyan phenomenon, distance running is actually a Nandi phenomenon. Or, to put it another way, "black" distance running success is focused on the tiniest of pinpricks on the map of Africa, with the vast majority of the continent underrepresented.

thoughts, pit?
"I specialize in driving a set like I'm driving a Lexus" - Uncle Mez
Dem black genetics
◙▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
      ◂◂  ►  ▐ ▌  ◼  ▸▸

Haters gonna hate
Yes. It is horrible to point out the color of their skin. We should just pretend that everyone has the same skin color.
They are black. They won the race. What's wrong? Would it be wrong to say everyone who won since 1983 was American? Or Blonde? Or exactly 6'2"? Why is it just because the thing they all have in common is skin colour, it's wrong to mention it?

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
What glorious times we live in where it's racist to call black people black.

EDIT: also, I thought it was scientifically proven that black people are better suited for sprinting because they naturally have better-developed twitch muscles?

at least that's what my old biology teacher told us.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Aug 27, 2011,
They should note their sexuality as well. Not that homos play sports.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by -xCaMRocKx-
They are black. They won the race. What's wrong? Would it be wrong to say everyone who won since 1983 was American? Or Blonde? Or exactly 6'2"? Why is it just because the thing they all have in common is skin colour, it's wrong to mention it?

they're saying it's in a moral grey area because pointing that out is just a continuation of the stereotype that black people are better athletes. there's no BBC news articles saying 'all 100m winners are x tall' because they go hand in hand. saying being black and being able to run fast being hand in hand is just continuing the stereotype.

Quote by CoreysMonster

EDIT: also, I thought it was scientifically proven that black people are better suited for sprinting because they naturally have better-developed twitch muscles?

i don't think it's calling them 'black' that makes it morally awkward, it's relating black to being a good athlete. i personally don't have much of a problem with it because it's probably true.
Last edited by laid-to-waste at Aug 27, 2011,
Quote by CoreysMonster

I read somewhere [read: Cracked] that it's because they have higher centers of mass. Not sure about the validity of that statement, though.

Edit: v

Quote by Kensai
They should note their sexuality as well. Not that homos play sports.

Dem homos be takin' der jerbs!
I think it's time for a change.

Sig v5.0 (approximate)
Last edited by §ArmyofAngels§ at Aug 27, 2011,
Interesting point is that it because they are black that they win. Anthropologists and scientist have done studies as to why black people make better runners and white people make better swimmers and apparently it's all due to where your bellybutton is (!).

Seriously, it sounds ridiculous but, to quote: "It so happens that in the architecture of the human body of West African-origin runners, the center of gravity is significantly higher than in runners of European origin,” which puts them at an advantage in sprints on the track" and the bellybutton is directly correlational to the centre of gravity.

So to answer the question, no it's not 'wrong; to mention it, any more than it's 'wrong' to say all sprint swimmers seem to be white. It's not racist, its just genetic advantage.
I think it's fine.

They got their runnin', we got our swimmin'.
Catch the Dragon
Quote by hriday_hazarika
This thread is as terrible as music, which sucks balls.
I'd also like to point out that saying "Black people are better runners" doesn't mean that all black people are great at running, it just means that the biological potential is higher than other races. It's not a generalisation, it's biology.
Quote by CoreysMonster
I'd also like to point out that saying "Black people are better runners" doesn't mean that all black people are great at running, it just means that the biological potential is higher than other races. It's not a generalisation, it's biology.

that's not how it will be interpreted, though. that's how stereotypes start; small, individual facts about a stratum that gets blown out of proportion that is eventually seen by the less intelligent as a representation for the whole race/gender/age.
Last edited by laid-to-waste at Aug 27, 2011,
Not really. It's just indicative of a genetics I guess, although not proven. If one of those dudes had a kid with a white lady it'd probably be fast as balls too.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
The main point being made is that labelling black people as better sprinters just because they are black is a generalisation which isn't true because the majority of the successful black sprinters are from 1 or 2 countries with a well developed infrastructure for sports and athletics. Historically their ethnic background is west african which probably has made them better sprinters but that's just a small part of all "black people" and doesn't mean all black people are good at sprinting. It goes on to say that:

"There is far more genetic variation within racial groups (around 85%) than there is between racial groups (just 15%)."

But the thing that's most noticeable to the naked eye is the skin colour so therefore people say: "those people are better because they are black" because that's the first thing people notice.
"Be Excellent To Each Other"
Last edited by our band rules at Aug 27, 2011,
Quote by TheBurningFish
Not really. It's just indicative of a genetics I guess, although not proven. If one of those dudes had a kid with a white lady it'd probably be fast as balls too.

Pretty much this, and since when are black people not good at swimming??

Edit: And why would it be racist to notice that?? That's like saying white people are better at guitar or something dumb like that. Maybe it's in their culture to be athletic?
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

Last edited by brandon2784 at Aug 27, 2011,
Its cause they have evolved to run away from lions duh
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by CoreysMonster

Was this your biology teacher?

Quote by laid-to-waste
that's not how it will be interpreted, though. that's how stereotypes start; small, individual facts about a stratum that gets blown out of proportion that is eventually seen by the less intelligent as a representation for the whole race/gender/age.

Racists will create there own stereotypes.

I don't think intention plays as big a part in determining wether or not something is 'racist' as it should.
It's all that walking to the well and back....

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Ninja Vampirate
Fucking white people.

Right? I hate those f*ckers!
"Could everyone please stop sounding like everyone else that's trying to sound like meshuggah?"

-Emil Werstler

Quote by damian_91
Kurt Cobain, the best guitarist to ever live.

I think most people commenting in this thread need to read the whole article to understand the point it's making. It's a very good one and the best article I've seen on the BBC in a while
Spin round carousel
When your horse isn't screwed in

I II III VI:1 VI:2
they're just pointing out a fact...
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by mullet1337
I think most people commenting in this thread need to read the whole article to understand the point it's making. It's a very good one and the best article I've seen on the BBC in a while

Haha case in point:

Quote by Dempsey68
they're just pointing out a fact...
Quote by brandon2784

Edit: And why would it be racist to notice that?? That's like saying white people are better at guitar or something dumb like that. Maybe it's in their culture to be athletic?

Weren't slaves selectively bred?
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
No, because they are. The Olympics is definitive proof that white people are inferior in any activity that does not allow for use of something else (horse, canoe, bike etc).

Oh how I dream of a day when calling a black person black isn't considered racism.

Disclaimer: I'm white.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Last edited by Todd Hart at Aug 27, 2011,
I wouldn't call the article rasict: it is pointing out a fact and then discussing how the writer thinks the fact came to be.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Black people are good at running, asian people are good at math, white people are good at destroying civilizations. It's all fair.

Edit: I guess white people are good at swimming.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Last edited by Grimriffer at Aug 27, 2011,
Quote by Grimriffer
Black people are good at running, asian people are good at math, white people are good at destroying civilizations. It's all fair.

it's generalizations like this that i genuinely have a problem with.
OK I'm just going to jump in and clarify to everyone what this article is actually trying to say...

There is a difference between saying all the best runners are black and saying black people are the best runners.

The point is "black" is a massive blanket term. People class "black" as a single race. It is not. Africa is a MASSIVE continent. Have you any idea how much racial diversity there is across it? It's like saying "white people make great pizza" when you mean "Italians make great pizza".

Black isn't one racial group, it is a skin colour common to a massive massive number of people across Africa and the Carribean, and to an extent (depending on how you use the word) Southern/Central America, Australia, Arabia, India....

Do you now see the point the article is making?
Quote by mullet1337

OK I read it, I originally made a shit joke now I take it back.
Catch the Dragon
Quote by hriday_hazarika
This thread is as terrible as music, which sucks balls.
Quote by Grimriffer

That is exactly what the article is talking about. None of these generalisations are necessarily true and are much more refined than merely race and skin colour. Read the ****ing article.
Spin round carousel
When your horse isn't screwed in

I II III VI:1 VI:2
Quote by MadClownDisease
OK I'm just going to jump in and clarify to everyone what this article is actually trying to say...

There is a difference between saying all the best runners are black and saying black people are the best runners.

The point is "black" is a massive blanket term. People class "black" as a single race. It is not. Africa is a MASSIVE continent. Have you any idea how much racial diversity there is across it? It's like saying "white people make great pizza" when you mean "Italians make great pizza".

Do you now see the point the article is making?

All you white people look the same to me
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Quote by MadClownDisease
Was this your biology teacher?

Its a proven fact. Black West African males have significantly more fast twitch muscle fibres.
◙▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
      ◂◂  ►  ▐ ▌  ◼  ▸▸

Haters gonna hate
Page 1 of 2