Ok I saw a video of Mustaine explaining his picking, seems he anchors ring and pinky like me. But I don't get it what means locked thumb? English is not my first language so can somebody explain it?
How about posting the video?
Anchoring isn´t false at all, if you can play guitar with it, play it. It´s your thing.
I'm assuming he just meant that he picks from his wrist, leaving his thumb/index stationary rather than picking from the finger joints.

But yeah, post the video.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
I remember seeing a video of him not too long ago where he said that as part of his rehabilitation for his hand, he learned to play the guitar without anchoring his fingers on the pickup ring/lower strings like he used to do.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
jkielq, you can see in video how he holds his pick, i would love if someone explains that, I can't do it. and yet I can pick like Marty Friedman with no problem. it doesnt even hurts, but I like more of a normal approach like Mustaine.
Just try to pick like yourself but aim to get your picking motion as small as possible.
I really wish people would stop talking about Marty Friedman as if he's a good example. Watch the guy play rhythm and you'll see him play in an absolutely standard way which tells me that his lead technique is pretty damn bad.

I would also not take pointers from Mustaine, while he's a good musician his technique is lacking somewhat in that he's quite tense while picking with any kind of speed. He also doesn't actually know what he's talking about, when he talks you can hear him make a lot of terminology mistakes and generally talking crap.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Hehe that's true. I love Dave tho

Zaphod, would it be good then if I kinda take Gilbert's pointers on picking? He seems to have a damn good picking technique

And about Marty, Marty said million times that he'd never change this picking technique. He likes it that way, he would soujnd different without it imo.
Quote by Voodoosnake
Hehe that's true. I love Dave tho

Zaphod, would it be good then if I kinda take Gilbert's pointers on picking? He seems to have a damn good picking technique

And about Marty, Marty said million times that he'd never change this picking technique. He likes it that way, he would soujnd different without it imo.

And Marty has also said in the past that he doesn't like scales because he thinks they're restrictive. He doesn't always know what he's talking about. Yes he would sound different with a different way of picking but you can bet he'd still sound like himself either way. I'm not taking anything away from the guy, he's an absolutely unique player and is infinitely better than most of the people any of us will ever know but his picking technique is terrible. People can do all of the things he does with 'normal' playing but he has to change to that style to play a lot of the things that they do. Says a lot to me.

Yes, you would be better off taking in what Paul says about picking, his technique is much more versatile and lends itself to more intense alternate picking much more readily while having the option to do what Friedman does without changing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.