Hey everyone. I played acoustic guitar when I first started playing a very long time ago and hated it because of the thickness of the strings and the apparent lack of versatility. When I picked up an electric guitar a year later I fell in love and haven't seriously played acoustic since. Now I'm thinking of getting an acoustic to fiddle around on when I'm travelling but my first guitar was a yamaha pure shit. What brands/features should I be looking at? I'd say I'm new to acoustic guitars but I'm by no means a beginner. I'm looking for something that plays well but don't want to spend too much and I'm looking used.
you don't mention a price range, which would be very handy. used or new, look at seagull, larrivee, blueridge (the all solid models have 3 numbers, the lams mostly have 2 in the name), eastman, yamaha and recording king for good quality guitars that sell new at their lower levels for under a grand - some well under a grand.

btw, have your guitar set up. most guitars are set up at the factory much higher than some people - me, for one - are comfortable. having your guitar set up for lower action will make your guitar easier to play.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by patticake
you don't mention a price range, which would be very handy. used or new, look at seagull, larrivee, blueridge (the all solid models have 3 numbers, the lams mostly have 2 in the name), eastman, yamaha and recording king for good quality guitars that sell new at their lower levels for under a grand - some well under a grand.

btw, have your guitar set up. most guitars are set up at the factory much higher than some people - me, for one - are comfortable. having your guitar set up for lower action will make your guitar easier to play.

I'm thinking ~$300 or so, definitely not a main axe
recording kings - all solid wood, $350, nice guitars, excellent value.

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/recording-king-ro-10-%22000%22-classic-series--RO10.htm

dread
http://elderly.com/new_instruments/names/recording-king-rd-10-dreadnought-classic-series--RD10.htm

or if you can't go quite that high, they have some solid tops from $250 to $300
http://elderly.com/brand/20N_recording%20king.html

i don't think you'll do much better going used since generally you'd be talking about a $500 to $600 instrument, and i'd say these rk's are as good as or better than guitars in that price range. if you do decide to go used, you might want to look for a used guild GAD-25, blueridge guitars (some of my favorites - the 3 number model number are the all solid models) or maybe an epiphone masterbilt - these are epiphone's all solid models.

things to look for - if at all possible, at least a solid top. all solid is better, but costs more. if you see a guitar listed at mf or gc that lists the name of the wood without the word "solid" in front of it, it's probably laminate, which often means lower quality tone - with some brands, much lower - and probably less volume and presence. although having said that, the seagull original s6 and the s6 slim are among the best sounding solid top lam b&s guitars around.

if you're buying in person, look for cracks, fret wear, and check the joints to make sure they're right. check the tuners to make sure they work and are tight enough not to slip, and check where the headstock meets the neck for hard to spot cracks. check the front of the guitar for belly bulge and see if the bridge is firmly attached. and while action can be adjusted, check out the saddle if the action is high - if the action is high but there's no more saddle to lower, you may have found a guitar that needs a neck reset, which you'll want to avoid,.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!