Because i have instructional DVD's on learning techniques for guitar,but still it seems i'm not getting better. Does anyone have any hints?
Last edited by Axelfox at Aug 28, 2011,
Yeah, practice more.

To be more helpful we need more information; "help me!" doesn't tell anyone anything.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Shinami
Have you tried playing the guitar?

Yeah i have,of course i think i'm getting better,when i first bought a guitar,a First Act,i couldn't even play anything,but now i'm playing chords.
All it takes is practice. No other way can make you better. Practice switching from chord to chord.
Quote by white_ibanez10
what you need is a new amp. maybe a peavy 6505+

Yeah,the amp i have now is a Peavey Blazer 158,which is as bad as a Line 6 Spider,i'm saving up for a 6505.
Learn scales and arpeggios, play them using a metronome, and increase the speed over time.

Oh yeah...and PRACTICE.
My Main Gear:
ESP Eclipse II
Jackson RRT-5
Dean Michael Schenker Signature Yin Yang
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Gibson 2016 Les Paul Traditional T
Marshall JVM 410H/1960V Cabinet
Sometimes we feel like we are not getting any better but I guarantee if you practice everyday you are. Best thing to do is record yourself now and then again a month from now I guarantee you hear a difference. Learning to playing guitar is not an over night thing. It takes months and years of practice.
Jackson DK2M w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez ARZ 800 w/EMG 81/60
B52 AT-100
Marshall 4x12 cab
BBE Sonic Stomp
Boss DD7 Delay
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Polytune
i honestly don't see how a new amp makes you a better guitar player. for the longest time i played my electric w/o an amp and i still got better. its practice repetition that makes you better, not an amp.
practice practice practice. learn new songs, learn new techniques, memorize scales.

it takes a lot of time to be a good guitarist
yes. practice. a DVD isn't going to do the work for you.

listen to music, learn about it, and apply what you learn. anybody can read numbers on a few lines, but the greats have a profound understanding.

set some well-defined goals for yourself, too. they help you objectively measure your progress.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Practice, practice, practice, and practice.. There is nothing else, no guitar or amp is going to make you better.

One thing I did, about ten years ago, when I learned the basics, was that I learned a song that I liked, easy song in the beginnig of course. Then I played along to the record with that song, works very well. Especially if you try to do more difficult songs every time. I still practice like that every day, when I'm not playing my own material.

AC/DC and Led Zeppelin are bands that I recommend, they have easier songs that are fun to play along to.
Quote by fluffymuffins
i honestly don't see how a new amp makes you a better guitar player. for the longest time i played my electric w/o an amp and i still got better. its practice repetition that makes you better, not an amp.

OT:

Just practice.
It isn't just practice, it's also the right kind of practice. There's also getting better vertically (skill, knowledge) and horizontally (like knowing more songs but playing them at the same skill level)

Everyone says "Play slow" but it's more than that. It's about learning muscle memory, so it isn't just play slow. It's playing slow, paying great attention (Excess tension, excess movement, etc)

Personally, when I divide my practice in to 3 areas (Technique, Theory and Repertoire), and really focus that is when I make the biggest strides.

I used to waste a lot of time practicing, playing stuff I already knew (Ok, it feel sgood!) Now, I don't consider that practice any more. That's performing (Or more usually, goofing off). Practice is working on the things I can't do.
u need a decent guitar and amp or atleast a decent guitar, u can only practice as far as your gear can take u in the beginning or else u wind up getting the wrong practice or something like that hahahaha
You do not need a new amp. You need a new reason for playing the guitar.
G(g)od was like: "Make you an ark of gopher wood; rooms shall you make in the ark, and shall pitch it within and without with pitch."

And i was like: "What's gopher wood?"
Quote by AeolianWolf
yes. practice. a DVD isn't going to do the work for you.

listen to music, learn about it, and apply what you learn. anybody can read numbers on a few lines, but the greats have a profound understanding.

set some well-defined goals for yourself, too. they help you objectively measure your progress.

Ty,because a comment someone made once on a board has left me doubting myself. One time i posted a video,someone said i should just stick to a online game and everyone else ganged up on me.
Quote by Axelfox
Ty,because a comment someone made once on a board has left me doubting myself. One time i posted a video,someone said i should just stick to a online game and everyone else ganged up on me.

What can I say, people on the internet are asses.
Get a mesa boogie Triple Recto and a Suhr guitar...with single coils. The tone will inspire your playing.

But in all reality...just practice...
Guitars:
LTD KH-602
LTD M-15
Schecter Hellraiser FR (for sale w/hsc, pm me.)
BC Rich Bronze WarCock
BC Rich Ironbird1
Tokai Voyager
Jackson JS30 Kelly
Vester: Metal flake gold/black crackle
Vester: rainbow crackle
Carvin V220
it really depends on what your definition of better is compared to how good you are now. if by better u mean more speed and accuracy with that speed, slow and paced repetition is the way to go.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I would tell you not to jump into picking each note you play yet. You need to build your left hand finger strength with legato first.
"To this day I don't have a guitar idol. I have people who are my favorites." - Randy Rhoads
Quote by fluffymuffins

The person who said that was just being an ass. But playing electric without an amp is, in my opinion, very counterproductive. You should practice CLEAN, not sans-amp. practicing without an amp means you often times either A) can't hear mistakes, or B) can't hear the true sound of what you're playing. You will never have to play an electric guitar somewhere without an amplifier, so don't practice it that way.
Quote by griffRG7321
Listen to this guy ^

Quote by Mad Marius
Nu-metal:

- tumble dryer
- cat
- pitch shifter
what you could do is learn some scales, like start by finding the C major scale, then go to youtube and type in "jam track in C major" then solo/improvise over it, i did this when i got my electric and it kept me enterained for awhile:P and it did help me musically
I hate when people compare John Frusciante to God. He's
good and all.............but he's no Frusciante.
Start transcribing songs you like. Listen over and over to a small piece of music; work out how to play it; write it down on tab paper; repeat until the song is over.

Then do it again... and again...

You will be a better player inside six months, guaranteed.
Quote by Blargaha
Practice, practice, practice, and practice.. There is nothing else, no guitar or amp is going to make you better.

One thing I did, about ten years ago, when I learned the basics, was that I learned a song that I liked, easy song in the beginnig of course. Then I played along to the record with that song, works very well. Especially if you try to do more difficult songs every time. I still practice like that every day, when I'm not playing my own material.

AC/DC and Led Zeppelin are bands that I recommend, they have easier songs that are fun to play along to.

Can you recommend some easy Led Zep songs. Whole Lotta Love has an easy riff but the solo is out of my range. What else? I also like playing some of The Ocean.
Quote by Axelfox
Yeah,the amp i have now is a Peavey Blazer 158,which is as bad as a Line 6 Spider,i'm saving up for a 6505.

Waste of money unless you're gigging.

Seriously you're "just now playing chords". Worry about gear when you need to worry about being loud enough at a gig, at a jam or playing with a group. Stick with a bedroom amp since you are still just practicing in your bedroom.

I will say though, if you are intent on getting a rig like that. Get your ass out of the house and play with friends. Playing with musicians better than you will increase your skills much better than playing on your own.
Last edited by BlackVoid at Sep 1, 2011,
Quote by Doom878
Can you recommend some easy Led Zep songs. Whole Lotta Love has an easy riff but the solo is out of my range. What else? I also like playing some of The Ocean.

No Quarter maybe? I learned that one pretty quickly...
Stairway To Heaven is also a classic which is not extremely hard, but it takes time to learn.
Rock 'n' Roll is a good one.
Tangerine is good if you get into a clean/acustic mood.
Heartbreaker perhaps?
Yeah, it's the guitarist, not the gear.

I can play Necrophagist with a telecaster(and do from time to time). More Than a Feeling by Boston is so goddamned impossible though for some reason.

And as someone who owns a 6505+ halfstack, they're right. You don't need one. It's too loud for a bedroom unless you're good at reducing perceived volume while keeping it at a level that it will still sound good at. If you REALLY want an amp that loud, get an EQ to run in the effects loop. That's what I do to keep the volume manageable. It's still too damned loud but it's not ears ringing loud anymore when I ease off the volume.

Anyway, better is subjective. I know a guy that does nothing but play Green Day covers and he considers himself good. If all you want to do is cover bands that play the same 4 powerchords again and again, all the power to you. If that's the case, practice doing power chords and get a metronome to hone your rhythm.

If you want to play, say, death metal, learn some exotic scales, get a metronome, and learn stretches so you don't get tennis elbow. Trust me, it's a bitch to play fast without warming up.

tl;dr Be more specific. What genre do you want to get good at? Every genre has its ins and outs. Being good at flamenco guitar is certainly very different from being good at post rock, or rockabilly, or heavy metal.