How should I learn scales. Right now I don't have a method i just try and get bored and do something else.
Don't be so damn impatient. That's a broad question and you make no attempt to tell us what you already know. It also sounds like you are looking for a shortcut. There isn't a shortcut. If you don't have the motivation to learn then you need to work around that first.

To start you off, learn where all the notes fall on the neck (I'm presuming you play guitar).
Quote by Nottachance
How should I learn scales. Right now I don't have a method i just try and get bored and do something else.

Well, fill in the blanks.

1. Is private lessons an option?

2. Do you have the patience and discipline to learn anything correctly, or are you all over the place?

Answer those and I can better help.

Best,

Sean
Quote by Nottachance

learn the notes they contain.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
learn the notes they contain.

This and this.

Quote by Myshadow46_2
To start you off, learn where all the notes fall on the neck
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Hey guys, I'm sorry, I currently have two instructors. I know the major, natural, harmonic, and melodic minor. But, I've been lazy with pentatonics and never tried to learn them. I really want to and started to learn Hungarian minor. Do you guys need any other question answered? Please ask away.
Oh! To be more specific on the question I'm looking for, I'm looking for a response that looks like this. "You should learn the first position and try to improv it for a day then go on to the second position, etc".
Why are you asking us rather than your instructors?

Ultimately, there's nothing that anyone can do to substitute for your own motivation. If you aren't willing to put in the hours, we can't really help you.
You know these in all 12 keys?

For pentatonic scales just play a major scale without the 4th and 7th.

If you know the scales and are asking what to do with them then there are endless possibilities. Play them in melodic thirds and double stopped thirds, entirely harmonised, arpeggiated harmonised, staccato, legato, all upstrokes(assuming you use a plectrum), all downstrokes, with different kids of vibrato, and anything you can think of. Scales are a wonderful vehicle for learning mostly anything you need.
Well, it looks like the answer seems to be just do the hard work and learn it but, is that what you guys do? Do you learn all positions at once? I guess thats what I'm really trying to ask. I don't mean to be mean and pushy and I'm not really impatient, I just get bored.
Do you know the circle of fourths/fifths and the order of sharps/flats?

Scales will come easier if you know how they work and where all of the notes on the neck are without a moment's hesitation.
Last edited by Vlasco at Aug 27, 2011,
Quote by Nottachance
Well, it looks like the answer seems to be just do the hard work and learn it but, is that what you guys do? Do you learn all positions at once? I guess thats what I'm really trying to ask. I don't mean to be mean and pushy and I'm not really impatient, I just get bored.

Learn the notes, then find the notes on the fretboard. I learn the interval structure of a scale then am able to summon the specific notes from the void!

If it bores you, then you've got some decisions to make. You know putting the work in is going to make you a better musician...is it worth doing something you find boring? That's up to you. If you can't (or won't) summon the discipline to work it out, then I advise you get used to not being that better musician.

There are no shortcuts in music. We get a lot of people in this forum looking for the easy way. You can't condense such an elaborate art form into quick tips and fool-proof tricks. Time to get used to it.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by Nottachance

You don't come off as pushy - but rather lazy. We can't give you advice unless we understand where you are as a musician. You say you know all these scales, but can you use them?

Honestly, the solution to being bored with yourself as a player is almost never "learn more scales."

Why do you want to learn the Hungarian minor?

It sounds to me like you're learning the scales as shapes on the fretboard - which is how everybody first learns them - but chances are your playing would improve more if you could start learning them as sounds. I suspect there's nothing you can do which will pay as big dividends as making that leap.

When you understand a scale as sounds, you can figure it out on the fretboard pretty quickly - with some practice, even in real-time.