It will 8 years next month since I have started playing guitar and have just within the past six months started studying theory. I have read up on a decent ammount of sites, and I have a understanding for a good portion of theory itself, but am having trouble getting one simple concept: note placement. I get how the notes are notated from the first to fifth fret. That's all good and fine, but how am I supposed to know what position I am supposed to play the note at? I've been using tabs for years and using those as a comparison doesn't seem to help. I also need to get on learning every note up the fretboard (pure lazyness on my end I'll admit).

Sorry for the long post, but any help is greatly appreciated.
It's a simple matter of learning the notes on the fretboard. You'll find that once you become comfortable with that, you'll be able to quickly see the different positions you can play a portion of sheet music in and figure out which one would be the best/most efficient. Practice sight reading often. Musictheory.net also has a great fretboard note identification tool that helped me a lot with that.
Assuming standard E tuning, the notes on the fretboard will not move. I.E a 6th string at the third fret will always be a G. Is that what you are asking? I am not really understand your question to be honest.
Using octaves was the easiest way for me to learn all the notes on the fretboard. You'll begin to see the patterns
Some sheet music will even recommend to you which position to play in and which finger to fret with. Even then it is best to figure your own fingerings because no one is the same.
Quote by guitarguy1993
It will 8 years next month since I have started playing guitar and have just within the past six months started studying theory. I have read up on a decent ammount of sites, and I have a understanding for a good portion of theory itself, but am having trouble getting one simple concept: note placement. I get how the notes are notated from the first to fifth fret. That's all good and fine, but how am I supposed to know what position I am supposed to play the note at? I've been using tabs for years and using those as a comparison doesn't seem to help. I also need to get on learning every note up the fretboard (pure lazyness on my end I'll admit).

Sorry for the long post, but any help is greatly appreciated.

It sounds like you already know the answer to this - learn the fretboard better.

It's helpful to be able to play the note anywhere. Can you find every D on the guitar within 10 seconds, in 6,5,4,3,2,1 order? If not, work on that.

By the way, we teach every note on the fretboard, as a part of our online Guitar Academy. If you ever need any help, drop us a line!

Best,

Sean