Hi Guys What's up?

I've never been a 'Gear Head' but I want to learn a lot of stuff about : pedals, amps, strings, tones, etc.
I just got into all these effects and stuff because I want to get more rewarded sonicly.

The only problem that I'm facing is: Where to start?

Do you guys have any tips on getting up to speed with gear?
I could cruise online shops, YouTube, Ultimate Guitar, Gear Page, etc.
But that doesn't really get me more into amps, pedals, etc ,etc.

So if you guys have any tips on how to get 'Into Gear'

Please let me know!

Thomas.
Well, you could get a mfx pedal to see what effects you like. What amp do you have?
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by Miiiiks
What you need is a new amp.

No
Avoid the gear page. Its a cork-sniffing religious cult.
mojostompboxes.com
I just read magazines, forums, product reviews and product manuals. Do that a few hours a day for 2 years and you'll feel like a genius *shrug*
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
Quote by Slash_is_a_God
I just read magazines, forums, product reviews and product manuals. Do that a few hours a day for 2 years and you'll feel like a genius *shrug*

This is pretty much what I've been doing, for far less time, but I do know basics.
Hang out here and you'll learn a lot about gear.
Read some UG and MyLesPaul threads.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Thanks guys!

It's not that I'm looking for new gear, or amps, I'm just looking at gear, and amps, I wanna know more about it than just buying what 'sounds' cool.
If you guys have anymore links to share I will check 'em out!

Ha yeah and 'The Gearpage' I'm not finding so many really gear *FUN* related stuff.
What's wrong with buying what sounds cool? That should be the ultimate deciding factor in whatever you buy, as music is based on what you hear. If you like what you hear, what's the problem in buying it, whether it's a 30 dollar plastic pedal or a 200 dollar boutique one?
Epi Explorer

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
Quote by Slash_is_a_God
What's wrong with buying what sounds cool? That should be the ultimate deciding factor in whatever you buy, as music is based on what you hear. If you like what you hear, what's the problem in buying it, whether it's a 30 dollar plastic pedal or a 200 dollar boutique one?

There you go.. I don't even now why it's 'Boutique'. That's what I'm talking about , the basics behind the pedals, etc ,etc.

Of course it's about sounding cool in the end. But I want to know more about pedals then just 'wow it sounds cool' I wanna know why it sounds so cool, who uses them, etc etc. Catch my drift?
Yes, I catch your drift, but what I'm saying is you shouldn't get caught up in the technicalities of it all, cause it really doesn't lend much to the creation of the music. Shoot me a PM if you'd like to discuss this all more in depth, and I can answer more specific questions that you may have about gear.
Epi Explorer

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
I would invest in a budget multi-effects pedal if I was you. That's what I did some years back and now I know what I like and don't like, to use.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Just tell every other guitar player you meet what shit their amp is, you'll be pro in no time!
Get them to love you, while they may depending on your words and wealth, the only one who's really judging you is yourself, nobody else.

Any and all posts by this user are fictional and for entertainment purposes only
Are you sure you wanna do that? I mean your bank account will hate you.

What I did was to visit the guitar shops often, get to know some of the cooler staff that weren't clueless or full of themselves, and you'll pick up tHings here and there.

A MFX also helps you to get to know differences between the different gears.

O yeah and like some mentioned, post lots on online forums and check up detailed visa of wha gear can do.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
a couple of days here reading threads will probably make you swear off fx forever .

best bet is to try a few out and as you listen to some of your fav guitar players try to find out what thye are using for sounds you really like. no need to be an expert just be able to recognize the various fx will get you by.
i second the multifx to learn what do what .

i wasnt use to Fx /amp at all until i had a multi effect back in the days .

funny how i learn that nirvana , weezer and that dirty distortion was create with something call FUZZ . I never knew that .. i was wondering what amp cause give that sound . first time i tried my v-amp 2 and get on the fuzz setting , i was so happy . Now i looked at fuzz pedal and learn from there ehx big muff pi .

same for "flanger" for Welcome home (sanitarium) by metallica . "Chorus" for Come as you are .
" Delay " for U2 sound ( where the streets have no name etc..) .

you can learn a lot with a decent multi fx . same with amp simulation .. you can learn what amp is good for what .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Quote by Skysc
i second the multifx to learn what do what .

i wasnt use to Fx /amp at all until i had a multi effect back in the days .

funny how i learn that nirvana , weezer and that dirty distortion was create with something call FUZZ . I never knew that .. i was wondering what amp cause give that sound . first time i tried my v-amp 2 and get on the fuzz setting , i was so happy . Now i looked at fuzz pedal and learn from there ehx big muff pi .

same for "flanger" for Welcome home (sanitarium) by metallica . "Chorus" for Come as you are .
" Delay " for U2 sound ( where the streets have no name etc..) .

you can learn a lot with a decent multi fx . same with amp simulation .. you can learn what amp is good for what .

Yes, a getting a mfx will tell you what effects and amps you like and don't like. After I got my rp, I learned that I like marshall amps and the effects that I like are flange, phase, chorus, tremolo, wah, and a few others. Getting a mfx will tell you what you like so you don't have to spend tons of money on different amps and effects.
"tremolo" for boulevard of broken dreams / nickelback - gotta be somebody

back in the 90's we didnt have multi effect .. i saw many boss pedal back in the days in the store .. but never know what "tremolo , chorus , flanger , fuzz , phase , delay" were . multi effect have help me learn that . and even nowadays sinc ei never been a "fx" guy ( i play punk rock , metal so its basicaly straight high gain distortion ") , im still learning once in a while .

who knew that head+ cab needed a "speaker cable" to connect safely without harming you head . . unless someone told you , theres a big chance one could make the mistake to use any instruement cable .

thats thing i learn in here by reading some thread . soi i didnt made the mistake .

now i can difference distortion .. i heard so much amp i can basicaaly guess what set up is use for what .

what give the RammStein - Du hast .. marylin manson - beautiful people , nine inch nail , ministry , pain , nightwish etc.. and many industriel metal bands their sound is the tech 21 Sansamp psa-1 . i can tell you 90 % of the time that a sansamp psa 1 is use on a metal album simply cause of its distinct voicing .

thats thing like that you learn with time and by reading .
Bedroom rock star :

- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Aug 27, 2011,
I didn't even know what fuzz was until I discovered it on my rp. Same goes for the envolope filter effect and the ring modulator.
kutless : me neither .. the weezer soiund from the blue album .. and the grunge sound was my favortie sound .. i was wondering what could give that dirty sound i liked .. it was fuzz

use some fuzz in the dirt channel of a tube amp and you get weezer , nirvana and many other grunge bands sound . although they dont use fuzz pedal . fuzz is the closest to dirt distortion .
Bedroom rock star :

- Agile 3200 Slim
Subscribe on youtibe to guitarworld and the tone king
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
Subscribe on youtibe to guitarworld and the tone king

And pro guitar shop. They have some great demos.
Quote by kutless999
And pro guitar shop. They have some great demos.

definatley, actually as we speak im watching the EHX holy grail demo. probably the best and simplest pedal demos out there
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Go to stores and try stuff out, and listen to demos. Experience is the best way to get to know gear and what it sounds like. Even if you're bored, just pretend to go in and look for something when you really just want to try stuff out.
Quote by JDizzle787
And Gearmanndude and xtimehascomex and Burgerman666.

jesus how did i forget gearmandude, if u do end up looking him up, note he is not Jack Black
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
definatley, actually as we speak im watching the EHX holy grail demo. probably the best and simplest pedal demos out there

Yeah, all their pedal demos are great.