Page 1 of 4
hey guys, anyone out there know anyone who is "good" who plays poor guitars?
i know a guy, who went into a shop, and bought a £200 bc rich, tribal thingy, without even trying it first. and it will be for gigging, alongside a gibson explorer. when he has been playing 20 years.
it just struck me dumb.
i thoroughly test, and examin any purchase i am considering.
thoughts?
There are a lot of professional artists who use cheap guitars. Nothing wrong if they sound good and are comfortable with them.
Names please. I can't think of any good recording artist thats using cheap guitars. They are cheap for a reason.
I know some guitarists who gig with cheap guitars; however, I don't know of anybody that just goes to a guitar shop and buys a guitar without playing it and then just starts gigging with it. Either he's very confident that he'll like the guitar he's buying, doesn't care how it feels, or is just plain ignorant when it comes to equipment.
1998 Ibanez Prestige S2540
2005 Ibanez RG570
Bugera 333XL 212 Combo
Quote by imaginary.frnd
Names please. I can't think of any good recording artist thats using cheap guitars. They are cheap for a reason.
There was a 4-5 pages thread about these artists. Can't find it anymore though.

The first who comes to my mind is Sami Lopakka, the rhythm guitarist of Sentenced (one of my favourite bands). He played only a cheap Jackson RRV bolt-on guitar in his entire career, and had an amazing tone.
What I hate is almost anybody playing an expensive guitar.

To be completely honest, while it does make some difference, the guitar isn't the majority of your sound, the amp is. I've had my Ibanez Mikro sound like a Fender Strat and even an acoustic. It's all in the amp.

The people that play cheaper guitars are always the smarter people. There is no need to spend more than about $600 MAX for an amazing guitar, anything more, and you are just wasting your money, which is why I hate Gibson and Fender so much, you pay more for the name than the sound. Nobody can honestly say they can tell the difference between a Gibson LP and a B.C. Rich. They're lying if they say they can. The sound difference is way too minute to make enough difference. The only time they would really have a chance at being able to tell is on a clean channel, and even then, it's hard.

However, there are some guitars that are just plain awful (Squier, and many First Act's, for example), but most are actually better than you think.

The point is, you don't need an expensive guitar to sound really good, just as long as it's a decent guitar. If you do need a super high quality guitar, it shows you aren't good enough to sound good with what you have.

EDIT: I will say, he may have bought on impulse, though. I am a firm believer of try before you buy, but he may have tried some other time.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
Last edited by guitarmaniac88 at Aug 27, 2011,
I wasnt bringing higher end guitars into the equation, as you can see all of my axes are Sub £450-500

the pickup voicings between a LP and a Low end bc rich is totally different also, you seem a bit clueless to guitars, no ?

anyway it isnt a famous guy, just a buddy in a band, i just cant comprehend, waling into a shop, picking out the cheapest coolest loking guitar ( not my opinion) and buying it. without playing, could have been a dud. e.t.c. he has the money, for super maga custom guitars.
Quote by guitarmaniac88

To be completely honest, while it does make some difference, the guitar isn't the majority of your sound, the amp is. I've had my Ibanez Mikro sound like a Fender Strat and even an acoustic. It's all in the amp.

The people that play cheaper guitars are always the smarter people. There is no need to spend more than about $600 MAX for an amazing guitar, anything more, and you are just wasting your money, which is why I hate Gibson and Fender so much, you pay more for the name than the sound. Nobody can honestly say they can tell the difference between a Gibson LP and a B.C. Rich. They're lying if they say they can. The sound difference is way too minute to make enough difference. The only time they would really have a chance at being able to tell is on a clean channel, and even then, it's hard.

However, there are some guitars that are just plain awful (Squier, and many First Act's, for example), but most are actually better than you think.

The point is, you don't need an expensive guitar to sound really good, just as long as it's a decent guitar. If you do need a super high quality guitar, it shows you aren't good enough to sound good with what you have.

EDIT: I will say, he may have bought on impulse, though. I am a firm believer of try before you buy, but he may have tried some other time.

GTFO of this thread. There is a difference between a Gibson and a BC Rich POS. Try the wood, hardware, craftsmanship, etc.
Quote by guitarmaniac88

My first ever palmstack! Congrats!

Talk to me in 10 years when your cheaply built, yet somehow "better guitars" have turned to dust, and my gear sounds better than when I bought it.
Quote by guitarmaniac88

I've have been playing music on various instruments (orchestra/band-rock) There is a huge difference between a BC Rich and A Gibson LP...although Gibson could knock a couple hundred bucks of most of their models.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Quote by SilenceSettled
GTFO of this thread. There is a difference between a Gibson and a BC Rich POS. Try the wood, hardware, craftsmanship, etc.

There is a difference, just not much. You act like I wasn't talking about sound.

I also love how everybody brings up "wood". People think it makes a huge difference, but that is not true, especially with distortion. You honestly, can't tell wood differences very easily with distortion going.

So you're saying, both of you, that I can get two recordings of the same riff, and you can tell me which one is a Gibson and which is a B.C. Rich? I call BS right there.

I think you guys are sore because I brought up the fact that Gibson makes overpriced stuff.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
Jeff Healey played Squiers for his whole career. Dave Murray also played modified Squiers (early 80s japanese made) for a while because he felt they were better than the american made fenders of the time (this turned out to be true).

maybe the guy the OP mentioned had already played that guitar and just decided he wanted it. back when i was doing the band thing (80s) i used plenty of stuff that wasn't exactly ideal. how many bar bands have you seen using MG stacks these days?
Jack White uses cheap shit.

Slash recorded his first album using a epi les paul before he could afford a gibson
Quote by Twist of fate
Why must the fat die young
Quote by guitarmaniac88

Wow just wow.
Granted I'm not a fan of Gibson, but there are a lot of things to consider about the cost of a guitar. Gibson uses higher end woods, and many of their guitars are hand made. paying AMERICAN workers costs a lot of money. Most Fenders are actually under the 600 dollar range that you pulled out of your ass. Even American Fenders use higher end woods then the MIM Fenders. The only people I know who repeatedly rag on guitar companies like this are the ones who have never played these guitars.

Oh and If you can't tell the difference between a B.C. Rich and a Gibson LP then you need to just sell your guitars now and give up. Seriously.
Quote by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Last edited by Alucard817 at Aug 27, 2011,
Quote by Nickpocalypse

My first ever palmstack! Congrats!

Talk to me in 10 years when your cheaply built, yet somehow "better guitars" have turned to dust, and my gear sounds better than when I bought it.

That's an impossible situation.

A: I never said mine was "better".
B: It won't turn into dust in 10 years.
C: Your gear won't get better over time just because you wasted more money on it.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
A dude in this local band was shredding/tapping like crazy. These guys were good, yet the one in front of me was using the Ibanez GIO straight out of one of the starter packs.

And also earlier that same night this band was on, and the guitarist had a PRS Akerfeldt signature.. Playing through a spider III 15. I almost cried! He was good too, though. So that was kinda like.. The good guitarist with the nice guitar but the shitty amp
Maybe he just had this guitar and really liked it and it broke down or something
I think good guitar players playing cheap guitars is okay, nothing wrong with it if they like their cheap guitars and are content with those.
However, I personally would not do that. Not because I think I'm such a great guitarist or something, but it's no fun to me if my tone is shit, the neck makes my hand cremp, etc.
Quote by guitarmaniac88
, which is why I hate Gibson and Fender so much, you pay more for the name than the sound. Nobody can honestly say they can tell the difference between a Gibson LP and a B.C. Rich.

lol, you must be tonedeaf or youve only been playing through crappy amplifiers. Theres a big difference on guitars when you have a good amplfier. BUT since tone is personal some may think that cheap guitars sound better than the more expensive. Some ppl have different tone taste. But in my world i like the more expensive guitars alot more than my cheap squier and cheap ibanez i had before
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard