hey guys,

So i'm pretty sure you've heard the new craze on the news: Hurricane Irene

And I was supposed to go to college tomorrow, but instead of closing down for a few days and making sure everything is alright, they asked us tomove into our dorms earlier (today) and start classes on monday like its just a little rain on the way lol

I know most people don't seem to make a big deal out of this thing, but sometimes shit hits the ceiling n u don't know where it flew from,

Do you think they're right in calling students in early like that?
Last edited by rayven1lk at Aug 27, 2011,
College... on a saturday?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
My friend moved into college/had orientation etc. today. I thought that was weird. East coast does some weird shit.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
yeah east coast tends to do some weird shit...

but i just find the idea weird that they're callin people in earlier...coz i'm pretty sure my college is gonna have a lot of work ahead of it, with all the cleaning up to do, loss of power, and things like that unless they're expectin us to do it for 'em which is why they're calling us in early hahaha
This hurricane doesn't seem like it's going to be that big of a deal. Elizabeth was far more powerful and it didn't get nearly as much hype.
DON'T HIRE RON WILSON
@suckmahnuts

i guess, but like I said better safe than sorry, the government has closed down all major modes of transportation and is severely warning its people, so its kinda weird when ur college is like "its alright guys, lets all move in and study and have fun campus style...its gonna be a breeze" (pun intended)
Last edited by rayven1lk at Aug 27, 2011,
So? I have to go to and from work everyday during the hurricane, and if the building I work in is collapsing around me I can't leave. Our standing order is to go down with the ship should said ship go down.

[/no sympathy for college students]
Ok. I could see some freaking out if you were down in Norfolk, where a lot of my friends are actually at college right now, where it's actually making landfall. By the time it gets all the way up to you the storm is going to have died down significantly. Storms like this don't stay as strong once it hits land. It's only going to die down, and it has about 400 miles of land to go through before it hits you. I don't see a flaw in your school's decision, to be honest. My friends didn't even get evacuated from Norfolk.
DON'T HIRE RON WILSON
lol that sucks for u man

and i think u oughta chill, i'm jus relating this to my college, i'm not trying to say just coz i'm a college student that my problems are far worse than anyone elses
Quote by madbasslover
So? I have to go to and from work everyday during the hurricane, and if the building I work in is collapsing around me I can't leave. Our standing order is to go down with the ship should said ship go down.

[/no sympathy for college students]

Sounds like you have a shitty job. Probably should have gone to college.

I don't go back to college until the end of September. And by college, I mean university. Also, I'm English, so this post has little relevance to the question.
Gear:
Ibanez S470DXQM
Laney GH50L - Laney GS212IE
Boss GE7
MXR Wylde OD
Boss DD2
Boss CE20
Walden G570
I wish our school was goin in Saturday. All the Mass schools and UNH are doin that, but of course mine delays move-in till Monday. Granted we miss classes that day, but move-in is gonna be more hectic and if it was Saturday we could get more drunk >_<
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
@suckmahnuts I hope ur right man, I guess I'd jus rather be with family during one of these than at campus lol

i just find it kinda unsettling that admist all the warnings than even officials are giving, the campus paints a different picture...the way I see it, its probably to get us to help them in their efforts of getting the college back to normal. Not that theres anything wrong with that, but for gods sakes put the people out of harms way first lol
Quote by Sir Daniel
Sounds like you have a shitty job. Probably should have gone to college.

Eff that noise, I love my job. I have to die eventually, I'd rather go doing something I enjoy than die arbitrarily in something stupid like a car wreck.
Quote by madbasslover
Eff that noise, I love my job. I have to die eventually, I'd rather go doing something I enjoy than die arbitrarily in something stupid like a car wreck.

You do know that you wouldn't actually be expected to sit inside a crumbling building in such an event, right? Like, I'm pretty sure if that ever happened they would have a lawsuit or two on their hands...
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
You'd rather be on campus. I mean, I'm at my university in Ohio away from all this shit, so I'm not the best reference but I lived in DC for the past 12 years and waited out Elizabeth and that was a Cat. 3, not a 1. And you'd rather be on campus because college is fun and this is just another excuse to get piss drunk
DON'T HIRE RON WILSON
It's a Category 1. You'll be perfectly fine on campus in Stony Brook. Government transportation is shut down because streets and subways are gonna flood. That's general practice for all heavy storms. In Manhattan, it might be a different story.
Quote by Gman400
You do know that you wouldn't actually be expected to sit inside a crumbling building in such an event, right? Like, I'm pretty sure if that ever happened they would have a lawsuit or two on their hands...

Any lawyer crazy enough to consider suing the US Air Force is probably not qualified to represent anyone in any court ever.