I want to get some good distortion, but within a $200 limit. Recommendations?
Every poster on here is a 6-foot Catholic schoolgirl with an 8-inch penis and riches beyond my wildest dreams.
What kind of distortion? Fuzz, OD, Distortion? What style of music? Rock, Metal, Blues?
Epi Explorer
Squier Vintage Modified Tele

Dunlop Crybaby (modded)
TC Polytune
Marshall ED-1
Vexter Box of Rock
Harmonic Jerkulator (home made)
Boss CE-3
Line6 Echo Park

Modified Traynor YCV40
Fender Super Champ XD
I got the Marshall Guv'nor GV-2 Plus pedal which I really like. It was £45 (roughly $90, maybe less, I believe).
Rock [James] Roll
Boss DS-1 dist. - $40

Boss Super Overdrive SD-1 - $40

Boss MT-2 metal zone dist - $90

MXR M115 Dist. III - $80

MXR M116 Fullbore metal dist. - $100

(The Legendary) Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer - $100

Electro-Harmonix XO Metal Muff w. top boost dist. - $90

I could go on forever, it would help to know answers to the questions Slash_is_a_God asked.

Keep in mind, 'good sounding' is relative and somewhat dependent on how well you know how to use your gear.

Last edited by Zeppelin Addict at Aug 27, 2011,
Brunetti mercury box? Should be around the 200 mark(though i'm not sure)
gear
-Giablo JTM45
-Hook 2X12
-fender hw1 strat
-Fender AVRI 62 strat
Don't get a Metal Zone. I thought the MXR Fullbore was bad. Tubescreamer....good but depends what you're wanting.

MI Audio Crunch Box.
Blackstar HT-DixtX (this was very similar to the gain I got on my JSX)
Wampler has a couple pedals right around $200.

Xotic and Bouteek seem to have really good pedals but I don't have experience with either.
Quote by Slash_is_a_God
What kind of distortion? Fuzz, OD, Distortion? What style of music? Rock, Metal, Blues?

this
if your just looking for generic, high gain sutff....i found the Boss Power Stack to sounds really nice
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
25 more and you can get the Dr. Scientist The Elements. Should cover low gain to high gain, brootz to fuzz.

Or you could buy like 3 kits from BYOC and build them yourself.

If you want blues and stuff, id say fuzz face. The tubescreamer is boring if you ask me for blues, a good fuzz face obliterates a ts any day.

For brootalz, the elements

for jazz, iono a tubescreamer?

For jap pop, a funky hairdoo should suffice

for justin bieber, a window to jump out should do.

In all seriousness, get The Elements
a keeley modded boss ds-1 is very nice, and so is everything from rocketpedals.

the elements is nice too
ocd 18volt
MI Tube Zone
Box of Rock
Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret
Wampler Plextortion
Pharaoh Fuzz
Fulltone Fulldrive
Metal Zone Supreme Mod?
Metal distortion for the people asking.

Thanks for your contributions, everyone.
Every poster on here is a 6-foot Catholic schoolgirl with an 8-inch penis and riches beyond my wildest dreams.
Last edited by Wuai Bel Ree at Aug 27, 2011,
Quote by Wuai Bel Ree
Metal distortion for the people asking.

Thanks for your contributions, everyone.

ok what amp do you have now ?.. its gonna affect the choice of pedal .

if you have modeler ( line 6 spider , vox valvetronix etc.. ) , dont put any pedal on it , it wont improve your sound . not gonna sound good .

if you have a solid state amp practice amp like 15 watts ( non modeler ) . use a Line 6 uber metal . this will give you a very good sound to practice at a reasonable price . you can get them for very cheap ( around 50-60 ) .. ( they dont do well in a pedalboard .. they suck up the juice of the whole pedalboard ) . this pedal is a beast and make crappy solid state amp shine .

if you have a quality tube amp /power amp , then you could go for a great boutique pedal .

Otto dominator

Dual resistafier ( i have one for sale for 120 $ cheaper than the 250 $ the guy ask , pm if interested ) .

wampler triple rectortion ( not sure about the name ) .

all these opedal will be in the 200 $ range .

if you have a modeler like line 6 spider etc.. than sav emoney and buy a great amp . a pedal wont help you .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
Last edited by Skysc at Aug 27, 2011,
Ibanez TS-9 tubescreamer. Great great pedal. Also, I have a Boss Super Over Drive SD-1 and that works well too.
The Elements looks less expensive than a Triple Wreck or Okko Dominator. Just heard of them today.
Tech 21 XXL lower cost choice
i have pedals for sale as im building now a rack .

tech21 sans amp california ( mesa boogie simulation ) . sell for 160 .. im asking 105 $ shipped

r3fx dual resistafier : sell for 250 $ .. im asking 135 $ shipped .

mi audio crunch box ( british hard rock distortion : sell for 129 $ .. im asking 95 $ shipped .

but in the end .. if you have a cheap modeler .. forget about pedal .. they wont help you . save for a better amp .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
My amp is a GDEC Junior. I think it was like $100.

Is that the kind of amp where I should be getting a better amp instead of a pedal?
Yes. A distortion pedal won't do much for your amp.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by Wuai Bel Ree
My amp is a GDEC Junior. I think it was like $100.

Is that the kind of amp where I should be getting a better amp instead of a pedal?

Yes. The amp produces the sound in the end by moving a speaker. Up until that point it's just electricity moving through a wire. If your speaker is bad, if your AMP is bad, it's going to be bad no matter what. A pedal won't make it sound good.

Get a better amp first, then come back to pedals.
-Hill
Well, crap.

Any good amp recommendations that aren't too expensive?
vypyr tube 60
20 watt Jet City and OD pedal
Bugera V55
Valveking with new speaker