Sorry if this is an insanely noob question, but I just have to ask. So I'm going to be taking this basic guitar class at school, and we are going to be learning to play from sheet music. I knew the basics of reading music probably 9-10 years ago, but I have forgotten most of it. As I was looking through the book, a question came into my head while looking at some of the songs.

So the book starts of teaching you chords and playing simple songs with just a couple of chords to them. For my question: One measure of a song has four notes in it, B B G G, but over top of the measure it says to use the G chord. Does that mean I form the G chord, but then just pick those notes individually instead of playing the whole chord?

Thanks for any help!
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Elite
Squier Strat
Fender Acoustic
Line 6 POD XT-Live
Blackstar HT-1 Combo
No, you don't need to use the G chord. G is simply the chord that that measure is played over.
The G chord is the harmony. The notes on the staff would be the melody. You can finger the G chord and just pick out those notes or you can just play those notes individually. There is usually a number of different ways to play the same notes on a guitar so without further instruction it is normally up to the player to decide where to play.
Thanks for the help.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Elite
Squier Strat
Fender Acoustic
Line 6 POD XT-Live
Blackstar HT-1 Combo