hey everyone i was looking through some old guitar magazines from the late 80's early
90's and seen that a pack of strings was around 4.00 and they seem to have stayed the same price over the years .

so has the gear become cheaper over time and more affordable or has it really
stayed around the same price ?
a pack of strings costs more than 4 bucks these days. the price listed in the mag was probably the list price and not the sale price. as i recall strings were about $2.50 back then.

in some respects gear has gotten cheaper in comparison. you can find some decent gear for what is considered cheap these days and have more options. obviously things like digital fx have gotten cheaper for sure (and way better quality sound wise).
A pack of Titanium Ernie Balls cost me 12 bucks...
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus
Jackson King V
Jackson Kelly
Handmade Gibson Les Paul
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100/JCM900 1960 Lead cab
Shure sm58's have been about $100 since the 80's
Luna Andromeda dragon bass
Schecter Omen Extreme
Fender strat
Fender Labrea electic/acoustic
Peavey tour 450
Peavey tour 410/115
Galien-kruger Backline 600
Black Heart BH15h
Gibson Les Paul gold top (Knock off)
Quote by The Vickshow
I can get regular Ernie Ball or D'Addario strings for $3.50 at my local music store

Seriously? I just had to pay almost 20 bucks for 2 packs, one Ernie Ball, one D'Addario..
Quote by 951
hey everyone i was looking through some old guitar magazines from the late 80's early
90's and seen that a pack of strings was around 4.00 and they seem to have stayed the same price over the years .

so has the gear become cheaper over time and more affordable or has it really
stayed around the same price ?

You can only answer that by adjusting for inflation.
^^^^ thats true, so think if a sure sm58 is still 100.00 since the 80's so it would acctually
be what ? about 85.00 now so its actually cheaper now. right ?

money being worth less now .
Quote by 951
^^^^ thats true, so think if a sure sm58 is still 100.00 since the 80's so it would acctually
be what ? about 85.00 now so its actually cheaper now. right ?

money being worth less now .

yeah thats about right. keep in mind that the place of manufacture has probably changed over the years and that the longer something is made the more efficient it's manufacture becomes. of course some of the parts may be of lesser quality as well.
gfs boomers are $3.50 at walmart.

for those who want cheap strings.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Relatively speaking I'd say most guitar gear in generally is cheaper now that it was 30 years ago if adjusted for inflation. There are lots more midrange and decent quality cheaper gear now. It used to be that either you had to sell the house or play through complete crap, there wasn't much in between. Cheap guitars used to be really nasty, same with amps. Cheaper, quality guitars didn't really hit the market until the Japs entered the field, especially Ibanez. Once Ibanez lifted their game and started making good affordable guitars the whole market changed.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by gregs1020
gfs boomers are $3.50 at walmart.

for those who want cheap strings.

Since when does Wal-mart sell guitar stuff? The only things at the ones here are in the toy aisles, and they're 20-30 dollar kid acoustics

Even if they did sell that stuff here, I'd rather shell out 8-9 bucks for D'addarios (or Ernie Balls if they don't have my gauge in D'addario) than 3 bucks for crap strings.
Quote by monwobobbo
a pack of strings costs more than 4 bucks these days. the price listed in the mag was probably the list price and not the sale price. as i recall strings were about $2.50 back then.

in some respects gear has gotten cheaper in comparison. you can find some decent gear for what is considered cheap these days and have more options. obviously things like digital fx have gotten cheaper for sure (and way better quality sound wise).

Take a look at the TS's location. In the UK strings are about £4.00. He should have specificied currency but you shouldn't assume it's the US
Quote by fly135
Just because one has tone suck it doesn't mean one's tone sucks.
20 years from now, people probably won't be remembering this era for Line 6 Spider 3s, they'll probably remember it for amps like the Mark V, Carvin V3, etc.

I'm sure there were a bunch of crappy and semi-crappy amps back then that people used, just like we do now. Except people only talk about the Marshalls that big bands used and blah blah blah, not the $50 solid state Peavey amps people were using (which were, in some cases, actually better than some of the cheap crap we have these days).