i know thats a very basic thing to do while playing, and when i practice i cover all the different picking patterns i can think of. but going from string to string is the loosest part of my technique. dont get me wrong im not bad at all, but i can just feel when its not quite on, even if the note is sounding out ok. its the first thing to go should i get sloppy. ...i dont practice sweep picking. i can sweep from low e to high e pretty naturally, but the other direction is definitely poor. any chance getting that down could get my general technique and alternate picking in order? any creative, or just damn good ideas?
I once hit a man in Dearborn. Michigan. A hit and run. I hit him and just kept on goin. I don't know if he's alive or dead. But I'm sorry. Not a day goes by i don't see his face.
Definitely learn to be able to economy pick licks that ascend, unless you play a lick that plays more than 3 notes per string. In this case, economy pick to go to the next string and then alternate pick on that string until you need to go to the next one, then economy pick. For descending always alternate pick. You could economy pick while descending, but if there are more than three notes per string your picking motion will get very confusing. You might be able to pull it off, but the note you slide to will become lost amongst the notes at high speeds and will throw your rhythm off big time.

Try these licks for some practice:

e--15-14-12-11-----------------------------------------------------------------
B-------------------13-12-10----------------------------------------------------
G--------------------------------12-11-9-8--------------------------------------
D----------------------------------------------10-9-7----------------------------
A-------------------------------------------------------10-9-7-6-----------------
E--------------------------------------------------------------------8-7-5-3-2-0-

When you're on the low E string and you're on the 5th fret use your index finger for the last two notes, then the open E string.

e---------------------------------------------------------------------------------13-15-17-15-17-19
B-----------------------------------------------------------12-13-15-13-15-17---------------------
G-------------------------------------9-10-12-10-12-14--------------------------------------------
D-------------------7-9-10-9-10-12----------------------------------------------------------------
A------5-7-8-7-8-10-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E--5-7-8-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had to put some of the numbers over the others, so this lick looks a little messed up, but it's a great lick for improving your picking. There's a trick to it. Never slide during this lick. Always move your hand to the next economical position. And your picking should be economy on the low E string to get to the A string, and then from there it's all alternate picking. If you don't economy pick to get to the A string your picking will be backwards. You'll be going to the next string on an unstroke. With strict alternate picking this may seem to be natural, but it's a whole lot easier to pick the way I said. It will feel a little bit awkward at first, but after a few days you'll see how easy and natural picking can feel.

The first lick is a classic harmonic minor "Yngwie" lick in the key of E minor. The second is an ascending A natural minor lick.

If you play a descending lick that uses only three notes per string, THEN you can economy pick (and you should). This will make your playing very clean if you choose to pick most of your notes.

If you want further help for combining picking with legato, let me know.

Proof I'm not talking out of my a$$: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nn8_D5ttc9w
Last edited by fretmaster13 at Aug 27, 2011,
Go on Youtube and search up "Paul Gilbert Lessons". He teaches many good string skipping/string changing licks that really challenge you, and sound good too. He's a great teacher too.
fret: it seems like youre just advising me not to outside pick. thats not what im trying to get at.

zinca: i try and base my pick hand technique off of paul gilbert. it blows my mind when someone can alt pick 1 note per string so fast and effortlessly.
I once hit a man in Dearborn. Michigan. A hit and run. I hit him and just kept on goin. I don't know if he's alive or dead. But I'm sorry. Not a day goes by i don't see his face.
He didn't mean that you shouldn't outside pick. He meant that you shouldn't do ANY slides. So, when you do the 7-9-10-9-10-12 fret position, you won't slide with your pinky (or 3rd finger) to the 12th fret, but instead, you'll do the 7-9-10 with the respective fingers, and then fret the 9th fret with your index finger.
Quote by YouTube user
Hey it's Alek from Chillin in Bodom and ears a lick for bitch who can't play dicks.

Quote by Smaratelj
He didn't mean that you shouldn't outside pick. He meant that you shouldn't do ANY slides. So, when you do the 7-9-10-9-10-12 fret position, you won't slide with your pinky (or 3rd finger) to the 12th fret, but instead, you'll do the 7-9-10 with the respective fingers, and then fret the 9th fret with your index finger.

Yeah, that too. My main point is that if you combine economy picking with alternate picking your overall playing will become better. Paul Gilbert goes to the next string using strict alternate picking. This means that when he plays three notes on a a string starting with a downstroke he's going to the next string with an upstroke. This isn't the most economical picking style, but it's the most popular. The most economical is economy picking combined with the added benefits of alternate picking for when you stay on one string for extended periods of time.

I'm not sure how he picks when he string skips, and personally I'm not a fan of the sound of string skipping, but I'd say that the closest you can keep the pick to the next string the better. And going over the string to pick it is a waste of energy unless it's the only option.
"To this day I don't have a guitar idol. I have people who are my favorites." - Randy Rhoads
Last edited by fretmaster13 at Aug 28, 2011,