Poll: Soloist or So-Cal?
Poll Options
View poll results: Soloist or So-Cal?
Jackson Soloist
12 41%
Charvel So-Cal
17 59%
Voters: 29.
Alright, so I'm faced with a tough choice here. Being a self-proclaimed super-strat fanboy, I've been deciding between getting either a Jackson SL2, or a Charvel So Cal. Now I know there are some differences in the models, the Jackson being neck-through and the Charvel being bolt on, the Jackson having a thin neck and the Charvel being more strat-like, plus pickups and country of production. So this is more of a decision based on quality, as I like both strat necks and thin necks, and as I won't be able to play the Charvel at all before I buy.

So UG, I ask you. Soloist, or So Cal?
Splawn Quickrod
Various Pedals
PRS Custom 22
Ibanez RG560
American Standard Strat
I like neck throughs more because of the added sustain, I prefer gibson necks because they are meatier so I cant really comment on the thickness, also im not familiar with Charvel, and I also hear that trying something before you buy it is important so I suggest the Jackson
that's a tough call. the soloist is probably a better guitar, but (by all accounts- i've only tried the older USA charvel production models) the charvels are still a really good guitar and very good value.

up to you, really, it's a judgement call and you could justify going for either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My future gear list features both of them. I'd love a Charvel So-Cal, I'd love a Jackson SL2H.

The SL2H will be a slightly higher quality instrument, but the So-Cal will be better value. It's much cheaper and still fantastically well made.
yeah, that's kinda what i was trying to get across, but you made the point more succinctly than me. The charvel (based on what i've heard, and the other japanese-made guitars i've tried) will be a fine, very good instrument, however, the jackson will probably be a bit nicer. But the charvel is killer value, whereas (depending on where you are) the jackson is more like fair value. If you want to have an awesome guitar and are willing to pay for the privilege, then the jackson is worth it- but the charvel will likely be nearly as nice, for a lot less money, so if value for money is more important to you, then the charvel is the way to go.

EDIT: it's worth pointing out as well that the charvels don't have a recessed trem, and no countouring on the neck joint, if that's important to you.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Regarding quality, the Jackson wins hands down.
The Charvel remains an awesome guitar for the price though.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
see how come i can't say that in two sentences? exactly.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by sewoo55
I thought Jackson and Charvel guitars are made in the same factory?

Yes, they're the same company, but like most big guitar companies they have factories in different countries for different price points.

The Soloist is one of their USA-made instruments, while the Charvel is made in Japan.
Last edited by Confuse-a-Cat at Aug 28, 2011,
The Charvels are fantastic guitars. I personally like their necks better than any other guitar I've played.
I forgot to mention that the Soloist would be used, so the prices are fairly close, and I'm considering a used USA Production So Cal. I also don't mind the neck joint on a Charvel/Fender style guitar, and I don't mind a non-recessed Floyd. Such a tough choice
Splawn Quickrod
Various Pedals
PRS Custom 22
Ibanez RG560
American Standard Strat
Last edited by mailbox2112 at Aug 28, 2011,
according to the vintage kramer forum (haven't corroborated this myself), the necks on the US pro mod charvels were MIM... if that's the case, the MIJ ones may even be better.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
according to the vintage kramer forum (haven't corroborated this myself), the necks on the US pro mod charvels were MIM... if that's the case, the MIJ ones may even be better.

Well that's just weird. I guess I'll have to try to find one of the Charvels and play it, because I'm still pretty unsure of what the quality is like.
Splawn Quickrod
Various Pedals
PRS Custom 22
Ibanez RG560
American Standard Strat
note that charvel Floyd's are not recessed, and soloists are
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
note that charvel Floyd's are not recessed, and soloists are

Yeah, I noticed that. The Charvels have maybe a half step of pull up though, which is probably enough that I can do flutters. I'm not much for pulling notes up to dog-torturing pitches anyway.
Splawn Quickrod
Various Pedals
PRS Custom 22
Ibanez RG560
American Standard Strat
i dont think it will reach up to a halfstep but regardless your getting almost equal quality with both choices along with great hardware
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
i dont think it will reach up to a halfstep but regardless your getting almost equal quality with both choices along with great hardware

That's exactly what's making this such a hard choice.
Splawn Quickrod
Various Pedals
PRS Custom 22
Ibanez RG560
American Standard Strat
Quote by mailbox2112
That's exactly what's making this such a hard choice.

hmm ok well the charvel strikes me as a more vintage soloing kinda guitar (still bearing in mind they are both the same company)

the jackson strikes as a more modern guitar. what i would weight it against is the combo of the finishes and pickups
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED