I'm not exactly sure what to do here.

I'm using a laguna le122 guitar with stock everything and im trying to make the choice of getting a new guitar or just putting emg actives in. Will it really improve my sound? ( i just got a ux2 last week but it feels like my guitar doesnt play that cleanly through it)

my youtube channel is the link down there. guess im just asking if its the guitar holding me back, or i just need to work on my technique?

http://www.youtube.com/user/DNCguitar?feature=mhee

(watch the indonesia one cause the composure cover i had just learned the day before)

ty in advance UG
Get a new guitar, putting a pair of $200 pickups in a guitar that costs $200 new isn't generally a good idea.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Aug 28, 2011,
What you need is a new amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
What you need is a new amp.

This too.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
lol ya well its a little bassy cause i have the camera on the amp. but even through my ux2 pod farm i feel that my pickups kinda suck. i cant get the sound others get.

so i should def look into getting a better guitar with emg in it rather then put it in the laguna lol?
I agree, time for a new guitar. Kudos on your technique, your YT page says you've only been playing about a year. You deserve a new guit-fiddle.
Guitars:
Epi Les Paul Custom Blackback
Gibson SG Classic w/ P90s
Epi Les Paul Ultra I
Squier Tele Black & Chrome
Taylor 210e

Amps:
Marshall JVM210H
Orange Tiny Terror
Marshall 1969 Lead cab
Orange PPC 2x12 cab
Quote by ohiomatt33
I agree, time for a new guitar. Kudos on your technique, your YT page says you've only been playing about a year. You deserve a new guit-fiddle.

thanks lol, i guess guitar hero gave me a decent start?
Post something recorded through the UX2. The Spider III wasn't sounding great through the camera mic, for sure.

Remember, though, any Toneport without Line 6's new HD models will suffer from the same basic technology they used in their Spider IIIs/IVs. Even the Spider Valves had the Spider pre-amp; a Bogner-designed tube power amp masks it a bit if you crank the volume, but it's still less than ideal.

The Tuneport is not likely to respond all that well to active pups--not like an all tube rig would.

The audio is so rough in the youtube vids it's difficult to help you troubleshoot. It might sound like that through a fricken Uberschall given the mic setup you're using. It would also help if you weren't playing over a backing track...
I have a guitar with EMG 81/85 set, and a UX2 toneport. Up until last week (when I bought a tube amp) my electric guitar sounded muddy and was virtually unplayable. I had a similar reaction to you; I was blaming my pickups (the emgs). I used to think EMGs were only good for metal and only through tube amps. And I think I'm partly right.

EMG pickups ONLY sound good through a tube amp. I bought a Vox AC15C1, which isn't even a high gain amp, and my EMGs are reacting like I never thought they would. I'm getting beautiful buttery tones and crisp high gain crunch (through pedals). So, the EMGs WEREN't inhibiting my sound as much as I thought. I was still getting great tones.

So, in the end - the pickups are important but the most important part of electric guitar is the amp you're using. If I could go back and give myself advice, it would be to not spend so much money on the guitar, and spend a lot more on a good tube amp.

Don't get new pickups. Don't get a new guitar. Start looking into tube amps/pedals to get the sounds you want. It'll sound MUCH better than any other upgrade you could make.
-Hill
Last edited by Hill at Aug 28, 2011,
well reaper is not letting me make it an mp3 for some reason. need like a .dll or something
going to go along with popular opinion and say get a new guitar. there are some really cool guitars out there, play a bunch and see which one suits you. Dump the laguna on craigslist or some other local sales board. You won't regret it.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by emmicKs
well reaper is not letting me make it an mp3 for some reason. need like a .dll or something

You have to download LAME and put it in the Reaper folder:

http://lame.sourceforge.net/
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
tbh, if you like the guitar very much, just go for it...

I remember throwing 85X/81X into my former guitar, LTD M-100fm. Turned out great! And when the time came that I got an ESP (or any better guitar) I just threw the original pickups in and sold it. Then I could also sell the EMGs or keep em. Kinda miss that LTD...
If you're going to put EMGs in the Laguna, that's cool. It'll be a fun project regardless of whether you do it right, or whether you take cheesy shortcuts.

The fact that the Laguna is just a $200 guitar is the best reason for you mod it with EMGs, unless you already have well developed woodworking and soldering skills. You can learn through mistakes on this guitar and it won't matter as much as if you did it on a real ESP, an Ibanez Prestige, an MIA Fender (or even a Custom Shop Fender), etc. down the road.

So you gotta decide what's your objective? Better tone? EMGs won't get you there with your rig. A better guitar won't either.

But once you get a better amp and your bank acount recovers, if you go with the EMGs you'll need to make a decision. Route the body for a proper battery compartment or cheese out by stashing the battery in the control cavity. That's not a problem if you mod the cover with a battery compartement that lets you access without removing the plate, but otherwise over the long term, the control cavity cover screw holes will strip out. It might fit in the trem cavity, but there are issues with that approach, too.

It can be a lot harder to sell an EMG-fitted guitar without a proper battery solution. I was tempted to buy an LTD with the EMGs but at the price it would have only been worth it if it had the battery compartment. I never did see that consingment guitar move before I left the region. Plus, valid or not, you gotta wonder how else that guitar had been mistreated with an owner that didn't care enough to do the job right.